Sponsored by:

993 Hazet shock removal tool

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 09:35 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 993 Hazet shock removal tool

I need the socket/allen key made by Hazet, I think, to properly remove the shock/spring assembly on my C2.

Would anyone be kind enough to let me borrow theirs for a week or so while I swap my springs?
I'd also buy it outright if need be.
This is the first of several winter projects I have in store for the car. Repaint the calipers, replace a busted CV boot... etc.

Anyway, if someone can help please let me know.
Leland

P.S. ...you can trust me... I work for the Government!

Old 11-15-2004, 09:45 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can actually use a 13/16" spark plug socket to remove the strut bolts. The hex head allows you to grip with a wrench (eg. crescent wrench) and the hole through the center allows you to pass the allen wrench through to hold the strut shaft.

The rear shock bolt is easier to remove, you just need an offset wrench, it's a different size, I think 19mm. Clamping the tip of the shock shaft in a vise makes it easier to break loose.

Some people have made their own "hazet tool" with deep sockets and grinders, but the plug socket solution is easier. I think you can search on "hazet" and find a bunch of info. Good luck!
Old 11-15-2004, 09:47 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

There are a few ways around the Hazet that is discussed throughout the archives (ha...been waiting to say that ). For example:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/146593-anyone-with-a-hazet-tool-for-sale.html

I just zipped mine off with an impact gun (yea yea LOOSEN ONLY). Good luck on the DIY...I just did mine. '31 Buick! AK
Old 11-15-2004, 10:04 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Dont forget to have a 7mm allen wrench handy as most of the 'L' shaped kit seem to skip that size..

I just bought some decent 21 and 22mm sockets used at a swap meet for $5 and ground a window into them. Worked great.

Spark plug socket is another good idea, better if you have a 2" torque adapter so you can still hold the shaft and torque properly. Just be sure to use the torque adapter at 90degrees for proper torque values.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:17 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing that works REALLY well are alignment sockets. The are short sided sockets (sold by Snap On, MAC, etc) that are designed for 1/2" drive rachets so access with the 7 mm is easy and no cutting required. Also, they have a hex machined in for a larger wrench than a spark plug socket.

Quick Reply: 993 Hazet shock removal tool