Sponsored by:

Anyone with a Hazet tool for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 04:17 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone with a Hazet tool for sale?

I'm planning my PSS9 install soon and was wondering if anyone here has an installation tool like the Hazet half open 22mm socket for sale?

If you would like to sell it or perhaps you would like to rent or loan this tool for a few weeks, I'd be very interested in hearing from you.

Thanks

edit: changed 21mm to 22mm

Last edited by kkim; 07-19-2004 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:46 PM
Agro1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need it - Find a sparkplug socket that fits the nut. Slip a hex key through the top of the spark plug socket to hold the shaft stable while you turn the sparkplug socket. Voila, job done
Old 07-19-2004, 04:50 PM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just a note that the bolt for the PSS-9 is 22mm. (The stock bolt is 21mm).
Old 07-19-2004, 05:01 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You only really need the tool for the front also, the rears I just used an offset wrench. A vise helps for the rears though since you can't remove these with the parts in the car.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:18 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Agro- Using the spark plug socket trick is my backup plan, if I don't get the proper socket in time. I would like to be able to use a torque wrench on the nut when putting things back together.

Paul- Thanks for the correction... yes I would need the 22mm Hazet socket, then

Troy- Yep, wasn't planning to use the Hazet for the rears. Spring compressor not needed to take those apart, correct?
Old 07-19-2004, 05:30 PM
Agro1
Banned

Kelly - I like having the correct tools too, but only if I plan on using it/them more then once...and you can use a torque wrench on it. Once you get the nut hand tight using the method I described, you can then use a torque wrench. The nut will already be tight enough and the shock will not spin. At least that's what I did and it worked fine for me.
Also, you do not need a spring compressor - even Gert will confirm this. The fronts are under a bit more tension than the rears and as long as you hold the top perch thing when you loosen the nut, you will be fine. It does not come flying off. And the rears were under NO tension at all.
Just my experience(s) from my M030/HD install last week, so take it for what it's worth. I ran into a couple snags along the way (due to my own stupidity) but could probably do it again in less then 2 hrs. Take care
Old 07-19-2004, 07:49 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Agro-

I don't like buying specialty tools either, but in this case it seems like others may have these tools around after using them only once and may want to take this opportunity to sell or rent them to others, hence my other post asking if anyone wants to sell their socket.

Thanks for the tip on the torque wrench... didn't think of that! If I can do that, I might just skip the Hazet tool altogether.

Any job seems easier once you've done it, which is why I'm trying to get my questions answered by people who have been through this already. Appreciate your input.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:01 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Kelly, I used the spark plug wrench and allen wrench with much success. The whole job really went pretty well. I didn't get the bushings on the TRG bars in right the first time on the front and so I re-did them...that is one of the harder parts of the job. I used air tools and that helps but is not essential. It does take two to install the rears tho so I hope you have a buddy to help. My wife would have helped but I had a good buddy here to help. I used the spring compressors as it seemed like there was plenty of potential left in them. The alignment was way out before the job so I don't know how close you can get it when re-assembling the rears. I marked everything real well but it got adjusted a lot during the alignment prosess.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions. John Reese talked me through a lot of the gotchas and you have most of them sorted out already.

Cheers
Old 07-19-2004, 08:25 PM
Agro1
Banned

Agree with Bruce - them front sway bar brackets are a PITA to get back in - especially if you run a thicker sway and bushings and use the same brackets...Use graphite grease to lube the bushings.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:33 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the rears you don't really need a helper, though it would probably be a little easier. I fitted the shock assembly back up into the car, then placed a floor jack underneath it to hold it in place long enough to get up and attach the nuts from the top. I could've asked the wife to come out to help, but frankly this was probably easier for both of us.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:41 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

My wife would have gladly helped but figured it was a "guy thing" putting the suspension on. She is not afraid to get dirty and help with stuff and it's nice on remodeling projects to have two of us on the same wave length. She even encourages me to buy toys for the car as I enjoy them so much and she likes to drive as well. We are going to the drivers skills day here in August. She is great for me and I know most everybody else has it figured out for them!

Kelly, I wish I could hand deliver the tools for you. I can't make it over to Hawaii this year but I could ship the socket and the spring compressors if you want to borrow. Lemme know!
Old 07-19-2004, 09:44 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

The sockets I use are Snap On Caster / Camber items.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_d...re&dir=catalog

They are essentially the spack plug socket idea, but mate a little nicer to the nuts.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:45 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, guys... you're selling me on not going for the Hazet to put that nut back on.

I've already changed out my sway bars so I can relate to the PITA it really is. I did follow both ViperBob's advice to grind down the "tab" on the bracket and also used Jeff 993TT's tip on using a piece of wire to pull it through. Worked like a charm for me.

Old 07-19-2004, 09:47 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by viperbob
mate a little nicer to the nuts.

Thanks, Bob!

Any chance of getting the rear adjustable links soon?
Old 07-20-2004, 12:17 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bruce-

Thanks for the offer to hand deliver the tools, but at this point it looks like I won't be needing the Hazet or the spring compressor. However, you are always welcome to come and just visit when you get the chance to make your way down this direction.

Can you think of any other odd tools needed? I already have a T40 torx bit ready.

My son is gonna come home for that weekend to lend his old man a hand, so I'll have an extra pair of hands when I need them.

Hope you are enjoying your recent suspension upgrade.

Mahalo for your offer.

Quick Reply: Anyone with a Hazet tool for sale?