Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 05:24 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation What's up with Tire Rack?!

Did they go out of business or something? Their website is up, but has some problems, and their phone lines all appear to be down. And now, I can't get any e-mail through to them--it just sits queued up on my server.

I called all the numbers I can find (877)522-8473; (888)541-1777; (888)981-3953 gets a "Call did not go through" message. (574)287-2345 just rings forever.

Anyone got any other numbers? Is Tire Rack out of business?

Help - I need tires.

~DJ
Old 01-31-2002, 05:54 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

DJ,

I live in northern IN, about 25 miles west of the Tire Rack. We had a terrible ice storm last night and this morning. They are probably without power and/or very few employees could make it to work. We were without power most of the morning and the forcast is for more ice tonight. What a bummer.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:19 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Boy, do I feel lucky. I just ordered 4 new tires this week and they have already arrived.

DJ, do you want me to "OVERNIGHT" them to you using your Fed Ex account number?
Old 01-31-2002, 06:22 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Thanks, Brian.

I just got through to their office in Sparks, Nevada (775) 355-9060, and they confirmed just what you said.

Also, just in case anyone else has ordered tires that they're currently awaiting, the nice lady in Sparks told me that their FEDX shipping is down, and nothing has shipped FEDX since last Friday. She said that when their 800 lines come back up, we can call, and change the shipping to UPS, if we want them to ship.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:24 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

[quote]Originally posted by Robin 993 DX In Atlanta:
<strong>DJ, do you want me to "OVERNIGHT" them to you using your Fed Ex account number?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Robin!

Thanks, bud. Yes, please do. Uh... those are the Kumho Ecsta V700's, right?

Send 'em!
Old 01-31-2002, 06:39 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 71 Posts
Hey D.J.

The Kumho's Xta V700's are what I just used this past weekend at Sebring. I thought they were great and gummy like gummy bears.
I had them heat cycled and shaved.
I can't compare them to any other track tire though because I had never traked a 911 before so this was my first setup for the track.
The salesman who helped me Luke, mentioned that even though they are heat cycled, your first session the tires are going to run extra extra hot. So, give them time..
and don't go all out first session.
If you run into any snags, let me know. I have a set mounted and balanced on some technology wheels (used for 3 days) if you get desperate.
I also had the fronts swapped on Sunday to give me some more life out of them.
Hope this helps..

btw, there not rated for Baja so keep em on the pavement.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:52 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by DJ:
<strong>

Robin!

Thanks, bud. Yes, please do. Uh... those are the Kumho Ecsta V700's, right?

Send 'em!</strong><hr></blockquote>

DJ - I think you will really like the Kumhos. The balance (Over/Understeer) feels just like my Hoosiers - just less grip. That was with 225 Kumhos and 245 Hoosiers. I think the Kumhos are very happy with 2 deg camber where the Hoosiers were OK but clearly wanted more.

When I ran them, it was pretty cold in the AM, but it seemed that the greasy stage happens later with these tires than Hoosiers or P-0c's.

When the track cools, the grip goes away pretty fast. Ask the guy who watched me enter Rivrside (Buttonwillow) at 160 and realized I didn't have nearly the braking that was there only a couple of laps earliers. They do slide pretty well and are predictable and contollable (also discovered in Riverside just after the braking incident).
Old 02-01-2002, 12:52 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

[quote]Originally posted by B-Line:
<strong>Hey D.J.

The Kumho's Xta V700's are what I just used this past weekend at Sebring. I thought they were great and gummy like gummy bears.
I had them heat cycled and shaved.
I can't compare them to any other track tire though because I had never traked a 911 before so this was my first setup for the track.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I didn't want to get mine shaved, as I'm using these as street tires. We are going to Thunderhill next week (500+ miles one way), and there's 4 inches of snow there now, so I figured the extra tread depth might come in handy.

[quote]<strong>
The salesman who helped me Luke, mentioned that even though they are heat cycled, your first session the tires are going to run extra extra hot. So, give them time..
and don't go all out first session.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good advice. I always take it real easy for the first few sessions anyway.

[quote]<strong>
If you run into any snags, let me know. I have a set mounted and balanced on some technology wheels (used for 3 days) if you get desperate.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the offer B-Line, that's very kind of you. I should be alright, as TR now says that the tires should be here absolutely, positively, almost certainly Tuesday, unless something unforseen happens, or they just don't get around to it.

[quote]<strong>
btw, there not rated for Baja so keep em on the pavement. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Someone has started an ugly rumor that I have a tendency to drive in the dirt. This characterization is wholly unfounded, and definitely undeserved. I enjoy using all the pavement as much or more than the next guy. It's just that I occaisionally get a little greedy and use a little more than my fair share. One or two wheels in the dirt does not constitute "going off", and for that matter, as long as you don't slow down, and your lap times don't suffer, four wheels off doesn't really count as an off either.

I now know of several "short-cuts" at various tracks.
Old 02-01-2002, 01:00 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

[quote]Originally posted by Mark D - 993TT CA:
<strong>DJ - I think you will really like the Kumhos. The balance (Over/Understeer) feels just like my Hoosiers - just less grip. That was with 225 Kumhos and 245 Hoosiers. I think the Kumhos are very happy with 2 deg camber where the Hoosiers were OK but clearly wanted more.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Perfect! My setup is very balanced with the Hoosiers, and I've got 2 degrees of camber front and rear.

[quote]<strong>
They do slide pretty well and are predictable and contollable.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good. I do like sliding predictably and controllably.
Old 02-01-2002, 12:07 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 71 Posts
Hey D.J.

I hope you know I am only kidding
Find me a driver who hasn't taken a wheel off now and then and I'll show you a driver who isn't pushing 10/10's. That's why most tracks have run off vs. a huge wall. It's the brain fade/oops a little too hot factor.
I know my last time taking a tire off I put a car into the wall. Fortunately I didn't get hurt and it wasn't my car
But Skippy didn't seem to mind too much. They strapped me right back into another Formula car and said GO!!
So please don't take offense to my little Baja jokes, I just think it's kind of funny..
besides, chicanes are for wimps....

"The shortest distance between two points is a B-line "
Old 02-01-2002, 12:42 PM
Tom T.
Instructor

All,

Speaking of the Ecsta V700's, they do not come
in the "standard" 17 inch sizes for Porsches.
Instead of 205/50 and 255/40, they are only
available in 225/45 and 275/40. Will these
fit and be safe on 7 & 9 inch cup wheels?

Tom
Old 02-01-2002, 12:50 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Tom,

I run that size hoosier on my stock rims at the track. No problems what so ever. Some people say the 275 is too wide a tire for the 9 inch rim, but my contact at Hoosier said no problems. Might want to check the recommend rim sizes for those Khumos - they should be written on the tr website somewhere. Also, i would think your front is actually 7.5" as I think that is the noremal stock size.

Good luck,

E. J.
Old 02-01-2002, 12:51 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Tom T.:
<strong>All,

Speaking of the Ecsta V700's, they do not come
in the "standard" 17 inch sizes for Porsches.
Instead of 205/50 and 255/40, they are only
available in 225/45 and 275/40. Will these
fit and be safe on 7 & 9 inch cup wheels?

Tom</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes; I (and plenty others) have been running 225/45-17 on my 7" cup wheels for a while now. I like the balance of my car w. 225f/255f; but a few weekends from now I'm going to give 225/275 a try w. some used Hoosiers.
Old 02-01-2002, 12:52 PM
KC993
Racer

Tom,
Yes, they will fit in the cup wheels, I had them like that before and now I even put 245 on 7" front cup wheels, it's a TIGHT fit and I won't do it again...

Quick Reply: What's up with Tire Rack?!