Sponsored by:

FIKSE FM-10 or KINESIS K28?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 11:50 PM
Vinnie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post FIKSE FM-10 or KINESIS K28?

Hey all, just gathering opinions on both these rims for a Black on Black 96 TT. I am really split exactly 50/50 on these wheels. Any feed back would be appreciated! Looks, strength, weight...pros and cons et. al. :-) Thanks. I'm thinking of the standard finishes. All the best.

Regards,
Old 01-30-2002, 12:26 AM
Ric
Intermediate

Cool

I've had both wheels on two different Porsches. My current car has the Kinesis K28s. I can't comment on the strength, both are excellent wheels. The FM10 is VERY TEDIOUS to clean, not difficult, just tedious. The K28s are fairly easy to clean, especially with the natural finish. Ok, so I'm superficial, I'll admit it. I think the K28s look more agressive, the FM10s look very stylish. Just my $.02
Old 01-30-2002, 12:30 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to what I've read, and <a href="http://iquebec.ifrance.com/isrcrew/wheels.html" target="_blank">Wheel Comparison Page</a> , the two should be very close in weight - about 19 - 21 lbs for a 18 x 8.5.

They are both forged, well-built, and to my eye, equally attractive.

The darker gray finish on the K28's may hide brake dust a bit better and require less maintenance if you plan to track the car. The race satin anodized finish on the Fikses is nice, too.

A good friend, and frequent Rennlist poster, runs Kinesis on his track C4S, so he might be worth talking to (Jerry at l8apexer@hotmail.com ).

Also, Jack has the FM-10s on his beautiful Ferrari yellow 993TT, which is currently for sale. He is a great guy who could give you some first-hand impressions of the FM-10s.

Good luck!
Old 01-30-2002, 01:30 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the FM-10's. Very easy to clean - Spray with wheel cleaner (P-21s or equiv) and spray off with pressure washer. It also does a great job of clenaing out the cross drilled holes in the rotors. I bought electric pressure washer for ~$150 - great for cleaning the wheels, race car, patio, etc.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:49 AM
Vinnie
Instructor

Thanks everyone! Now that I know they're similar in quality, how about the vanity issue? Which one would look better? :-) Too tough a call from me and I can go either way and its killing me to just make a choice! The problem is on a black car, I think they both look equally attractive!

Kind regards,
Old 01-30-2002, 09:44 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Anir:
<strong>
A good friend, and frequent Rennlist poster, runs Kinesis on his track C4S, so he might be worth talking to (Jerry at l8apexer@hotmail.com ).
</strong><hr></blockquote>

UMM.. You forget about this friend that has Kinesis K-28's. Jerry has the K-58's.

Vinnie,
Hope all is well. I have two sets of K-28's one for the street and one for the track. I really like them and they are relatively easy to keep clean. If the center gets a stain or is tough to clean you can use one of those green scotch brite pads to clean them and "polish" them. Either wheel is good, but I have heard of a few failures on the Fikse. They were on a 928GTS and the front ones would develop stress cracks. This was a track car and Fikse did take care of them. FWIW.
Here is a picture Ej took of my race car with K-28's.
Take care,
Greg
Old 01-30-2002, 10:08 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Vinnie:
<strong>Thanks everyone! Now that I know they're similar in quality, how about the vanity issue? Which one would look better? :-) Too tough a call from me and I can go either way and its killing me to just make a choice! The problem is on a black car, I think they both look equally attractive!

Kind regards,</strong><hr></blockquote>

No they don't, Kinesis K28 looks better.
Don't ask me why, IMO, they just do
Old 01-30-2002, 01:08 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As Anir mentioned, I've had the Fikse FM-10s (original finish) on my car since '99, and they still look great. I also agree with Mark on the cleaning/maintenance issue--it has never been a problem. Of course, I wash the car/wheels regularly and also use an electric pressure washer.

Both the Kinessis and Fikse are forged, light weight and strong wheels. You can't go wrong with either one.

Old 01-30-2002, 01:13 PM
Vinnie
Instructor

Jack,
It is because of your car and the way the rims look on it that's giving me such a hard time deciding between the rims! Looks like all you guys are split and torn the same way I am about these rims! :-) I guess its not a bad problem to have!

Vin
Old 01-30-2002, 01:54 PM
KC993
Racer

I had a set of the Kinesis with grey finish, I think it will look better for your black car, but if for some reason that you get some oil on the grey finish, it's a bitch to clean.
One more thing, the valve stem on the Kinesis is a piece of ****. I bought extra valve stems (8)just so I have spares for them. Every time I put a new set of tires on them, the guy ALWAYS break them.
The construction of both wheels are a little different, although both are 3 piece wheels. The bolts that bolt them together are different. Kinesis uses bolts that bolt through all 3 pieces but Fikses don't.
Just my thoughts.
Old 01-30-2002, 02:10 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Flying Finn:
<strong>

No they don't, Kinesis K28 looks better.
Don't ask me why, IMO, they just do </strong><hr></blockquote>
I agree, obviously! I like them because you have some shiny finish and some matte. It is a good contrast on the black.
Greg
Old 01-30-2002, 02:37 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by Greg Fishman:
<strong>

UMM.. You forget about this friend that has Kinesis K-28's. Jerry has the K-58's. Take care,
Greg</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry Greg! You know - friends (and their cars) all start to look the same after a while!!!
Old 01-30-2002, 03:10 PM
Laura
Pro

Go with Kinesis! I liked the K-28's but I was outvoted for the K-18's. Same car as in the Kinesis ad
Old 01-30-2002, 03:32 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Talking

OK, I have a quarter here, if you only could decide which side you want
Old 01-30-2002, 05:18 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Greg Fishman:
<strong>...I like them because you have some shiny finish and some matte. It is a good contrast on the black.
Greg</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh yes!

Quick Reply: FIKSE FM-10 or KINESIS K28?