Sponsored by:

RS wing quality

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 06:58 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've emailed Mike to get some specifics on setting up a GB and how the transactions would occur. When I hear back from him, I'll be sure to let you all know.

Scott- I've also asked about the CF tails and the GT2 that was mentioned.

Seems like Xmas might be coming a bit early this year. Cross your fingers and be good little boys and girls.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:08 PM
riviera 93
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I would be interested in a cf RS wing as well, slimfast! e

Last edited by riviera 93; 11-11-2004 at 07:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-11-2004, 07:24 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

If any of you ordering front RS splitters has a GT2 splitter to get rid of, please PM me as I am looking for one for the track car. TIA
Old 11-11-2004, 08:41 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by kkim
I emailed Mike at MAShaw yesterday and he responded with what I consider some very good pricing on the RS Euro wing in fiberglass for a Rennlist GB.

Hope he doesn't mind... here is his email...

"Dear Kelly,
we can do a group buy deal for rennlist. Price is $450.00 for the 993 Euro
RS rear spoiler. Our 993 euro rs front spoilers is $285.00 a pair. John at
rennlist has them on his 993.
Michael"

I expect shipping will be added to that already great price.

Anyone else get any feedback from their sources, yet?
I spoke to Mike as well and he quoted the exact same price for a group buy. I mentioned a tentative quantity of ten RS rear tails..

I can help with this if needed since he is close to my daily travels..
Old 11-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, this is already a great Xmas, and it hasn't even happened. But it looks promising... I'm in and can't wait to hear how a GB would work.

Also, someone asked about the quality of the front splitters from MAShaw... again I repeat my earlier comment that for fiberglass pieces they are very nice, but they're not factory. 95% of the fit was great, but I couldn't get that last 5%... I'm a perfectionist so shoot me! Anyway, when I purchased the parts they were fiberglass and polyester resin... now I hear his pieces are made of a more durable filler, as described in a few other posts, so that's an improvement. I'll let others describe the fitment of the new pieces, but I'm sure they're better than the earlier pieces I purchased.

Anyway, Mike Shaw is a great guy, will talk your ear off because he's such an enthusiast, and his product met my expectations and budget. I'm 100% satisfied. But it's not factory, nor does he claim that his parts are factory equivalents. They're just very good imitations...
Old 11-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 351 Posts
Talking Here is something we probably should not do, especially..

if you track the car at high speeds, let's say greater than 95 mph. The 993 car with no added aero aids, has some lift, front and rear, at high speeds. I have heard that the stock 993 spoiler, when extended, is about as effective as a 1973/44 Carrera duck tail spoiler...remember, the duck tails were replaced by the whale tails in 1975...why was this? They did not do the job reducing lift. Also note that Porsche always adds a front spoiler when they add a rear spoiler...the reason for this is obvious, balance.

You don't want to reduce lift in the rear with a 993RS tail without balancing the front with splitters...if you add the tail and DONT add the splitters, you are asking for some potentially dangerous under steer (The car wont turn...it wants to plow ahead). I know this from personal experience having a 993RSR tail on my car with front RS splitters...as a result the car was out of balance. I went into Turn 9 at Willow Springs International Raceway and the car would not turn in, it wanted to go straight, so we went straight off the track at about 90 mph...not a fun excursion. This resulted in a ding in the rocker panel, a broken side skirt, and a few other issues that took $800 to correct, ouch!

I also had a friend install RS front splitters with no tail..his car came unglued in Turn 8 at Willow Springs, significant oversteer, the rear snapped around on him in a heartbeat...with no time to make a correction. This too was not that fun...although he kept the car pretty much on the track.

Install them both is my recommendation..side skirts too if you can. The 993RS aero package from Porsche is just that, a package.

Last edited by Martin S.; 11-11-2004 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Dumb spelling error
Old 11-12-2004, 03:09 AM
nman413
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe this is the time to convert my car to GT2 Evo II look I do not want to do the extended fenders though.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:40 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto what Martin said.

I've had OEM RS splitters in my garage over an year now because I didn't have the wing. Now I actually have the wing also and can start putting the pices in.

If you track your car, you absolutely can't do one without the other.

Originally Posted by Martin S.
if you track the car at high speeds, let's say greater than 95 mph. The 993 car with no added aero aids, has some lift, front and rear, at high speeds. I have heard that the stock 993 spoiler, when extended, is about as effective as a 1973/44 Carrera duck tail spoiler...remember, the duck tails were replaced by the whale tails in 1975...why was this? They did not do the job reducing lift. Also note that Porsche always adds a front spoiler when they add a rear spoiler...the reason for this is obvious, balance.

You don't want to reduce lift in the rear with a 993RS tail without balancing the front with splitters...if you add the tail and DONT add the splitters, you are asking for some potentially dangerous under steer (The car wont turn...it wants to plow ahead). I know this from personal experience having a 993RSR tail on my car with front RS splitters...as a result the car was out of balance. I went into Turn 9 at Willow Springs International Raceway and the car would not turn in, it wanted to go straight, so we went straight off the track at about 90 mph...not a fun excursion. This resulted in a ding in the rocker panel, a broken side skirt, and a few other issues that took $800 to correct, ouch!

I also had a friend install RS front splitters with no tail..his car came unglued in Turn 8 at Willow Springs, significant oversteer, the rear snapped around on him in a heartbeat...with no time to make a correction. This too was not that fun...although he kept the car pretty much on the track.

Install them both is my recommendation..side skirts too if you can. The 993RS aero package from Porsche is just that, a package.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:57 AM
duc916
Instructor

If anyone is replacing a twin turbo tail, please let me know as I am looking for a TT tail. Thanks for the help.

Dan
Old 11-12-2004, 10:48 AM
Geoff Daniels
Intermediate

I would also be in for the Euro RS spoiler (fiberglass) and splitters group buy.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:55 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 134 Posts

I'd be interested in an RS tail GB as well. Is there any interest in a TTS tail GB?
Old 11-12-2004, 05:10 PM
Malibusteve
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is a Better Bodies RS Wing........ Required approx 10hrs prep and paint. High quality but sure took some effort.

Last edited by Malibusteve; 11-12-2004 at 05:12 PM. Reason: no image
Old 11-12-2004, 07:05 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For those interested in the GB, go to this thread...

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/169704-group-buy-mashaw-rs-wing-and-splitters.html

Good Luck!!
Old 11-12-2004, 10:21 PM
nman413
Drifting

If I go the GT2evo look, I'll have a Turbo nose and tail for sale...
Old 11-13-2004, 09:30 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Kelly,

Please count me in on the GB for the RS Splitter and the RS Spoiler if I'm not too late.

Thank you ~ Mike

Quick Reply: RS wing quality