Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Should I get upgraded sway bars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 03:25 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Tom was asking about RS or TRG bars, both of which are adjustable. M030 and turbo bars are great for street cars but, as Steve W. mentioned, bar adjustability is the main path to modifying the handling characteristics of cars, this tunability being even more critical for cars that are on the track.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 11-10-2004 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:25 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

TroyN,

Thicker bars do not always equate to stiffer. It also depends on the material the bars are made from, solid vs hollow, and the effective length of the arms at each of the adjustment points. Which of you Excel gurus can make a nifty spreadsheet?
Old 11-10-2004, 04:38 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Troy:

Just a few notes,.....

1) M030 bars are not adjustable so one cannot make any effective changes to reduce understeer.

2) H&R bars do not have the adjustment range of the TRG or RS bars (both 5-way front & 3-way rear). Its really nice to be able to make small changes to fine tune the car's balance to one's skills & preferences.

Just my opinion, tho.

Around here, we only use the RS or TRG bars depending on the application.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:20 PM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi Troy:

Just a few notes,.....

1) M030 bars are not adjustable so one cannot make any effective changes to reduce understeer.

2) H&R bars do not have the adjustment range of the TRG or RS bars (both 5-way front & 3-way rear). Its really nice to be able to make small changes to fine tune the car's balance to one's skills & preferences.

Just my opinion, tho.

Around here, we only use the RS or TRG bars depending on the application.
Steve,

I am about to put on the PSS9, I havn't done ant DE's in the past 7 years of Porsche ownership, but I might in the future. I don't really know if my car has understeer or oversteer, maybe if it was corrected I could feel the difference, but that is unknown to me now. Do you think I should put on RS, TRG or just leave the stock for now?

Your opinion is appreciated.
Tom
Old 11-10-2004, 05:29 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Right, wasn't thinking about the adjustability range on both front and rear. One tip from Martin is to drill an additional hole in the rear bar, which I am considering now. I would do this not so much for adjustability, but to tighten up the rear and get it more neutral (the M030 turbo bar on my C2 helped a lot).

Tom, though you were asking Steve's opinion I thought I'd put my $.02 in. If you aren't DE'ing, and aren't sure how you think your car handles, I would go the cheapest route: nothing, or M030. You can always trade up later (IIRC, when switching out your struts & shocks, you don't really cut down on labor time to do the bars too). If you plan to go very low with your PSS9's though, you might be better off with the RS or TRG bars, those that mount BELOW the control arm, because you have more leeway with height adjustment that way.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:01 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Troy,
I purchased Martin's M030 bars last year. The additional hole in the back does indeed dial out that final bit of understeer. A very good move to do IMO.
I use the TRG bars now, which are really nice, but the m030 with the extra hole is a wonderful upgrade for agressive street/ occasional track use.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:26 PM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Mark in Baltimore]Tom,

You won't need a realignment if you just put on sways.

I was told that the front struts need to be removed when sways are replaced and a realignment will be needed.

I not sure which statement is correct?
Old 11-11-2004, 04:33 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=tom97c4s]
Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Tom,

You won't need a realignment if you just put on sways.

I was told that the front struts need to be removed when sways are replaced and a realignment will be needed.

I not sure which statement is correct?

Tom,

Sways can be changed w/o removing the front struts. I've done it, so it is possible.

Quick Reply: Should I get upgraded sway bars?