Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You've almost talked me out of a 993

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 07:08 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all part of being a Porsche lover; you want a daily driver get a Volvo. Oh, and you might want to do something about that wining cause you wont find any simpathy here, just leaves more for us.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:09 PM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am someone who has had some problems. I had the CEL for the SAI/Carbon buildup. But I took it and they flushed it out. Would I have wished that it did not have this minor issue, sure. Would I trade my car for any other Make, NEVER?

Read into the board what you want. These cars require some attention, but what they give back to you is priceless

edit: And BTW, mine IS a daily driver, 22,000 miles in the last year
Old 11-03-2004, 07:23 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I just dropped off my car this morning to have the valve guides replaced. Funny thing is, I cannot wait to get it back! A minority of the 993s have had problematic valve guides, and unfortunately mine was one of them. So, off for a top-engine rebuild at 108k miles, and when I get it back, it'll be an 8yr. old screamin' machine with years of life left in it. Note - 108k miles, daily driver and track car. No garage queen here!

During my research on the valve guide issue on this board and elsewhere, I talked to a lot of mechanics and people familiar with the 993. The consensus was that once the valve guides are repaired, the car will be bullet-proof. Time and again, that was the response. I don't think there are ANY other sports cars that can be called bullet-proof at over 100k miles. No one had a disparaging word. No one!

So, word to the wise, take the board with a grain of salt. As already stated, people are posting problems with their cars here, so you are seeing a skewed reality. And note that there is not a single poster that does not love his/her car despite posting "problems."

Just my 2 cents, and the cost of the valve guides...
Old 11-03-2004, 07:30 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Exactly what issues are you worried about? If it's the dreaded SAI issue, realize that this is not an issue for most of us. Who knows how many. 10%? 20%? No idea. Oil leaks? Easily fixed by new valve cover gaskets. You'll find that most problems are not too hard to remedy. It's not like our engines or trannys are blowing up.

My g/f has a stage 3 Audi S4 and after hearing what she's had to replace, I'm quite happy with my 993's reliability! But granted, a stock Audi TT, stage 3 S4, and 993 are totally different animals.

EDIT: Adrienne makes a great point. What other sports car is called "bulletproof"?
Old 11-03-2004, 07:32 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Come on guys, my grandma loves her Audi TT. AK
Old 11-03-2004, 07:39 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default that's funny.

pretty damn funny... as my 'my00' 986 which i purchased new was in the shop far more often than my 993... & since owning the 993 i've put more miles on this car as well.

bottom line: i'm a convert.

look forward to adding a "tt-s" in the future. & ahhh what a time that will be.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:47 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Remember,
1 -the people here are real fanatics (enthusiasts perhaps is a more PC term) ... most rennlisters can not wait for something to break if it means a possible upgrade to a better/stronger part or modification
2 - many people here do their own repairs, or at least order their own parts, so many posts are related to maintance and repairs.
3 - seems the volume on the 993 forum is much higher than other rennlist boards, so there must be a reason that the 993 generates such a passionate following.

I think the 993 is incredible .. im spending a little more than i would like to make my Turbo perfect, but that is a different story. My old stock 993c2 was flawless and wasnt overly expensive provided you dont start to do mods.
Just jump in!!
Old 11-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jaxon
The 951 was quite a car when it was running. I liked the Boxster too. Ran great, except for when the engine blew at 3k miles.!
Maybe, you're spooked by the problems you've experienced with these other Porsches? I can't think of a single 993 that has blown an engine at any track event I've attended. Our 2002 BMW M3 blew an engine at 8,000 miles without ever seeing a track day.

I really doubt you'll find a more reliable true sports car that can handle regular track abuse. If I'm not mistaken, Greg has been regularly thrashing his 993 in PCA Club Racing for 5-6 years without any sort of engine or transmission rebuild (or any other significant attention other than routine maintenance). The engineering is truly awe-inspiring, and I predict that most of our cars will still be around in 30 or 40 years.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:59 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

I'm with everybody else on this one. Yes I spend way too much money on my car - but that is for MODS not faulty parts. I can't fathom the possibility of picking an audi over the 993 but to each his own.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:26 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If this is your way to get a lot of 993 owners ire up, you've done it. Show me a more active board on Rennlist. Show me a more passionate board. Show me a more helpful board. Show me a board more proud of their cars.

Do these sound like symptoms of people who have a lot of problems with their cars? If we're not whining about them and we own them, then don't come on here telling us how bad our cars are.

I agree with the other poster....get a Honda.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:26 PM
Jaxon
Racer

For those of you who were friendly and tried to address my concerns with your reply, thanks!

Just thought I'd throw out what I was thinking. No whining, just facts. Just my thoughts, after reading a bunch of the posts over the year.

When I sift through the emotion, some good information provided.

Never said I was in love with the Audi, just driving one. Regarding the grandma who drives one, I hope she likes it. My wife is a Grandma and drives one as well. Just looking at what I might move to next, and expressing my concerns.

Good points about this being a board where people post problems and issues they encounter.

God bless you all!
Old 11-03-2004, 08:34 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Jaxon-

Maybe instead of taking another jab you should go back and read your post and realize that it is EASILY offensive to us. You should take our responses as nothing more than a love for our cars. I really wouldn't start taking issue with individual respondents.

God Bless you, George Bush and America!
Old 11-03-2004, 08:34 PM
laurence '97 C4S
Racer

Had my '97 since new. Only expense I have had above maintenance/tires is replacing the small plastic "dot" on the driver's side mirror. So nine years ownership, have cost me $0.07 per year. The plastic piece was all of $0.72. Must say, I rethink my ownership cost from time-to-time. Just glad I didn't have to pay sales tax on the part or the costs might have put me over the edge.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:46 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Laurence-

Old 11-03-2004, 08:48 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great car? Yes. Got 86K miles on my '95 and it has treated me well (still orig. clutch, engine, tranny). I almost feel it's been the most trouble-free car I've ever owned (starting with my 1970 Austin America in the Woodstock era).

Daily driver? Never. Takes too long to get that mass of oil thorougly warmed up and flowing. Car is air cooled, and I feel it likes a lot of air flowing thru it. I feel that's why I have had such good luck with mine - when I take it out it's usually for at least an hour drive on interstates or 2-lane back roads, rarely in stop-and-go commuter traffic. Also, car gets frequent "Italian tune-ups", either on the track or public highways. People who would use a 993 as a daily driver need their heads examined, in my opinion.

Quick Reply: You've almost talked me out of a 993