Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 04:20 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Litronics or not?

Hi Folks,

I've searched the archives and can't find anything that covers this, so pardon me if this has been covered before. I recently purchased a '96 993 C4S that I'm very pleased with, except for the weak lights. I've had Litronics in my Boxster and Xenons in my X5, so I'm spoiled by good lighting. I immediately ordered the Litronics kit from Suncoast and was going to install it over the weekend. I've noticed that the new lights look exactly like the ones that I already have, just newer.

Before I go through the trouble, is there any way to tell whether or not I already have Litronics? The lenses appear to have the same part numbers and they appear identical in terms of the bulbs, etc. The beams certainly don't have the bright, sharp light that those in the Boxster do, but maybe I'm expecting too much. Any suggestions or pointers to online resources would be appreciated.

If I do already have Litronics, anyone want to buy a set?

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2002, 04:33 PM
Steve in the UK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skip

Somewhere in the light unit/fixing kit will be a ballast or igniter unit. A box of tricks about the size of a packet of cigarettes. On the 993 this box was fitted outside the light unit. It may be that it is integrated on the 996 unit. Check the bulbs, they are a big give away. The litronics have a space age Philips bulb, the ordinary lights have a rather ordinary looking traditional H1 halogen bulb.
Old 01-27-2002, 04:35 PM
Steve in the UK
Instructor

Sorry Skip I misread your original post. On a 993, if there's no visible box of tricks when you pull the light unit from the fender, then they are not Litronics.
Old 01-27-2002, 05:53 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Skip,

When you peel back the carpet to get to the lever to release the light, if you have Litronics, you will see the above mentioned ballast bolted to the wall next to the release lever. You can't miss it and since you have removed the light already, I would ve surprised if you do have them. Also, at night you should be able to tell the difference. My car has the old crappy style and my friends car has the litronics and the difference is very noticible. As you know the litronics light output is much bluer.

Good luck,

E. J.
Old 01-27-2002, 08:33 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Skip,

I you don't have Litronics on your 993, this should be very clear as the regular Halogen bulbs are little more than a candle burning behind those lenses. The Litronics on the 993 are as white as those on your X5 and at least 80% as effective with their beam spread.
Old 01-27-2002, 08:41 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Skip
You have Litronics (HID) if:
1. There is a period of a few seconds during which the light "ramps up" moving up in color & intensity to a brilliant white/blue light. Regular lights are fully on/off in an instant.
2. When you turn on your high beams the low beam light is much brighter and whiter. The highs will be pale yellow and weak looking in comparison.
3. As posted, oem Litronics will have a ballast on each trunk sidewall, an igniter (small box) inside the light assembly itself and a D2S bulb (not an H1) in the socket. Aftermarket HID will have a ballast/igniter hanging outside the light assembly.

Old 01-27-2002, 11:07 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Steve, E.J., Viken, and Dan: Thanks!

Your reponses are most appreciated and quite helpful. I haven't checked for the ballast/box of tricks yet, but the descriptions and pictures (very nice!) indicate that I don't have Litronics already. Candle-behind-a-lenses is an apt description.

This is a great board and I hope that I'll be able to contribute as well as benefit from contributions.

Cheers,
Old 01-27-2002, 11:15 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Skip,

Here's a picture that would help you identify the ballasts in the trunk if you had the Litronics. They are the silver boxes with yellow stickers on the bottom left and right corners.

Old 01-28-2002, 12:08 AM
red targa
Instructor

Skip,

I agree with you that this is a great board!

BTW, from Viken's and Dan's statement, it seems that the HID igniters are installed in the trunk. When I had my OEM (Philips) HID's installed, the garage put the igniters behind the headlamp units.

Will this become a problem? Has anyone else had their HID's installed with the igniters behind the headlamp units?

IMHO, HID is much much brighter than Halogen. There is no comparison. One of the most worthwhile investments (you can only drive as fast as you can see).
Old 01-28-2002, 12:12 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

[quote]Originally posted by red targa:
<strong>BTW, from Viken's and Dan's statement, it seems that the HID igniters are installed in the trunk. When I had my OEM (Philips) HID's installed, the garage put the igniters behind the headlamp units.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you referring to the bulbs or the entire headlamp assembly? The OEM units were made by Bosch, not Philips. As to the location of the ballasts, I didn't think there was enough room behind the headlamp unit. Are you sure yours are OEM?
Old 01-28-2002, 12:36 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by red targa:
<strong>... it seems that the HID igniters are installed in the trunk. When I had my OEM (Philips) HID's installed, the garage put the igniters behind the headlamp units.</strong><hr></blockquote>
John
OEM Porsche Litronics locates the ballasts in the trunk, but uses separate (& much smaller) igniters which are located inside the headlight assembly itself. Aftermarket installs use a combined (1 piece) ballast/igniter unit which is too large to fit in the headlight assembly and is usually stuffed into the fender behind the light. So, if your garage installed true Litronics, there would be a box in the light assembly & another in the trunk. If aftermarket (like mine), it's 1 box in the fender.

Either way, you've got great (& the same) lighting. Hope this addresses your concerns.

Quick Reply: Litronics or not?