Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Report - Davis to SLO and back (w/ pix)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 11:07 PM
mjm911sc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride Report - Davis to SLO and back (w/ pix)

So I missed the Nor-Cal Run aaaannnnd I missed the PRC event at Sear's Pt, but I still managed to have a great Porsche experience this past weekend.

I took a 750 mile road trip from Davis to San Luis Obispo. Here was my route:
Davis to SLO = I-5 to Hwy 198 to County Road G-14 to Paso Robles then Hwy 101 to SLO.

Hwy 198 (crossing from I-5 to 101) was excellent, lots of twisties, roller coasters and downhill sweepers. No traffic to wait on or pass. The scenery was average and there were few if any turnouts or shoulders for photo ops. Close call = as I came over a hill with a quick right over the crest (like Thunderhill turn 9), there were two CHP cars parked in the shoulder on the other side of the road. I was at speed and in control and they "acknowledged" me. They let me go and there were no more close encounters for the rest of the trip.

G-14 is a rough county road, but desolated. Road had some good turn combinations with elevation changes, but I rated it at the bottom of my list for this trip.

SLO to Davis = Hwy 1 to Naceimento Rd to Hwy 25 to Hwy 156 to I-5

Hwy 1 - I was blessed this Sunday. The weather was perfect and even better there was minimal traffic on 1. Many photo ops on this leg of the trip. Here is a Rennlist Thank You shot

I want this for my commute
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...id=31714&stc=1
60 miles of road like this is why I don't mind paying the mortgage every month.

And the required vanity shot
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...id=31715&stc=1

Naceimento Rd was like those roads I take to get to my favorite camping spot. There was a 9 mile climb, with switchbacks, cliffhangers and phenomenal views of the ocean. The road was paved, but gravely. I passed two bicyclists and a half a dozen motorists coming down as I was going up. This is not a fast drive and my fiance was nervous due to the height and cliffs. After the climb, you come to Fort Hunter-Liggett - Cal Reserve Training Grounds. Very controlled drive through the fort. Then 20 miles of Hwy 198 type driving to King City. Definitely a fun way to cross over from Hwy 1 to 101. This will give you an idea of this road AFTER the cliffs

Hwy 25 - IMO this was the BEST drive of the trip. It was like 50 miles of Sear's Point, except no off camber carousel. There were some straights where I got to about 5500 rpm in 6th and could have easily taken it higher, but the governor (fiance) kicked in. I shared the first 10 miles with a motorcyclist and no one else. I had to pass about 5-6 cars and there was plenty of safe track to do the passes. No pictures because I didn't want to stop. DO THIS ROAD!

The 993 did fantastic. I don't need to tell anyone here that. We were extremely comfortable under some very high performance driving conditions and the handling of the C4S was flawless in a wide variety of road conditions. There were some casualties though:

Tickets to the game - $30.00
750 miles of gas @ $2.75 per gallon - $120.00
The return of the windshield creak - $300.00
Sharing the road with a tarantula on Halloween - priceless
Attached Images      
Old 11-01-2004, 11:14 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks for the trip report! Great scenery as well..
Old 11-01-2004, 11:52 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like that road to work as well. I get I-95 (under perpetual construction) for about 10 miles. Lots of nice loose asphalt and debris along the way too.

I'm jealous!
Old 11-02-2004, 12:00 AM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice trip...some of my old stomping grounds as I went to Cal Poly, SLO and UC Davis!

The central coast of CA is one of the best areas in the world!

Cheers

Quick Reply: Ride Report - Davis to SLO and back (w/ pix)