993 Forum 1995-1998

RPM during shifting rises.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 01:54 PM
Area54
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post RPM during shifting rises.

Noticing that during clutch depression RPM rises on the car. Lets say I shift at 2000 RPM, the tach is seen to rise about 200 RPM, hang there for a second or two and then respond to the next gear selected. I have also felt the clutch clearly slip when selecting gears as noted by the engine speed staying several thousand RPM higher before dropping before one feels the acceleration of the next gear. This would lead me to suspect the clutch is weak (40K+ on car), but is this further indication of some software, engine or switch problem? When running the car over 3500 RPM shifts, the engine speed is not dropping and it is not very driveable as shifting becomes non-existant. Can anyone out there offer an explanation. Thank you.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:54 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

Well, first - looks like you have a badly slipping clutch. Considering mine on my '95 is fine at 70K miles with 3-4 track events and 2-3 autocrosses per year since '96, and hilly Western PA/WV driving, I think either you don't know how to shift (sorry!) of some abnormal fault is occurring (oil leak contaminating the clutch?).

With a clutch shifting that badly, it's hard to say if your few hundred RPM increase is due to this or not; in any case, it's NOT normal. If you're sure you're totally taking your foot off the gas pedal, then you might have something hanging up the pedal (maybe a bad throttle cable or dirt in either the gas pedal pivots or at the throttle plate linkage at the engine). One idea; with the car in neutral and idling, blip the gas pedal and see if you have the RPM hangup.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:24 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts
Sounds like a new clutch assembly needed. Try this test. Go between 50-60 mph in 5th gear and go full throttle. If tach needle goes up quickly then clutch is going bad. Hope that helps. Mike

Quick Reply: RPM during shifting rises.