Sponsored by:

New garage going up--need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 08:24 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll plug the POR-15 line again...its www.por-15.com

I've done some restoration work on some off-road (read: high abuse!) vehicles and their products are top-notch. I've beat the hell out of surfaces covered with their single-stage lines (the two-part formula's aren't any more durable, are a hassle and contain isocyanates) and they last forever. Easy to apply also and dry overnight. No cyanates. Water hardens it (no kidding, it will dry underwater). Just don't get it on you when wet...you will wear it for weeks.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:28 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll second JRG's recommendation of Behr. I've used different types in the garage as well on outdoor patios. Tough and long-lasting.

Refrigerator, TV (a MUST), computer for easily accessed Rennlist help....

Also, one of the most interesting things I've ever seen is a winch system in the ceiling which a friend of mine installed to store his boat trailer or other trailers up against the ceiling when not in use.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:54 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craig,
I will agree with some above regarding: Fridge, TV,Cable, & Flat Screen. I also added in my pole barn/shop/automotive art museum: Electrical outlets in the ceiling for garage door openers, outlets in the cabinet back walls, Pull down extension cords, pull down lighting, telephone, intercom to the house, & in-wall cabinets with sliders and shelves to hide all my parts, tools, wax, and other guy stuff.

I did not add but wish I did: Bathroom, loft or 2nd floor, LIFT

I let my concrete "cure" for only a few weeks (4) and I had a company come over to do the floor and they actually "roughened" up the surface because it was too smooth, put some type of clear sealer on for a few days then came back and put down the epoxy.

Good luck
Old 10-29-2004, 08:32 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Craig I would put in two utility sinks, one in each area and a restroom with a shower. You don't want to bring the garage mess in the house. Plus you could keep all those hard core soaps where you really need them.
Climatize the work area.
Computer with networking through-out a must in my book. Broadband of some sort.
I would do the lift. They run $2500-4000. At least plan for it in the future with power connections, height requirements, etc.
If you want to do a very simple, low cost, floor coating, apply two coats of Solvent based Sherwin Williams H&C Concrete Stain. This coating will not lift with hot tires. It lacks the chemical resistance I would demand from my garage floor, but it is still a nice look. Wait about 30 days after pour. Sweep, mop with Spic and Span, rinse, wait a couple of days for the concrete to dry and roll it on.
Have fun!!
Old 10-29-2004, 11:44 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Craig, I recommend industrial coatings. My company applies many types of floor coatings and the right system makes a big difference.
I should have ask you Craig before we just put down 8000 sq ft of coating. We went with a two part product from Kelly Moore (Rustoleum). The stuff listed for $240 a gallon.. After we roughed the floor (no nead blaster available so we used a diamond cutting machine like a floor polisher) and put down sealer, the coating went down at an 8mm thickness or one gallon per 200 sq ft. And we did 2 coats. Does this sound reasonable?

Randy - The only other thing I can think of is a DSL line so you can access Rennlist from the garage

Last edited by viperbob; 10-30-2004 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:22 PM
bootman30@hotmail.com
Intermediate

--

Last edited by bootman30@hotmail.com; 10-27-2007 at 01:23 AM.

Quick Reply: New garage going up--need advice.