Question on wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 08:37 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Question on wheel spacers

I'm planning on putting my 18" RS wheels on the '97 C2S that I just brought home and understand that I need 25mm spacers in the rear (please correct me if I'm wrong here).

That leads me to a question - Is there an issue with putting on 25mm spacers? The reason I ask is that I found the following statement in an archived post on spacers - "Generally, a 5-10 mm spacer should be fine but anything more than that will alter the effective wheel offset and might cause premature wheel bearing wear."

Thanks much.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:05 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Considering that Porsche used a 25mm spacer on the back of the Carrera S with the 17" standard Cup wheels I don't think there's any problem with 25mm spacers.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:08 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
That is true it can make the wheel bearings go out faster. The spacer will cause positive offset which will cause more wear and tear when going in the straight line but will not adversely affect the wheel bearings while cornering. Depending on the strength of the wheel bearing in the 993 you may be ok. Try to find someone that has done this and talk to them
Old 09-24-2002, 09:28 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Rick:
<strong>I'm planning on putting my 18" RS wheels on the '97 C2S that I just brought home and understand that I need 25mm spacers in the rear (please correct me if I'm wrong here)</strong><hr></blockquote>

You are correct. You need exactly a 25 mm spacer on the rear of the wide body car. Compensating a 65 mm offset down to 40 mm.

[quote]<strong>Is there an issue with putting on 25mm spacers? The reason I ask is that I found the following statement in an archived post on spacers - "Generally, a 5-10 mm spacer should be fine but anything more than that will alter the effective wheel offset and might cause premature wheel bearing wear."</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes and no. That would be more of an issue on the front axle. I wouldn't worry about it for the rear.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:35 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by JC in NY:
<strong>Considering that Porsche used a 25mm spacer on the back of the Carrera S with the 17" standard Cup wheels I don't think there's any problem with 25mm spacers.</strong><hr></blockquote>

FWIW, the factory spacer for the 17" rear wheels on the Carrera S was 31 mm.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:37 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
Rick,
Does this mean you found a Track Car??? I just happen to know of a track event in your neck of the woods 1st weekend of Oct...
Old 09-24-2002, 10:23 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To all - thanks much for the help. I'm going to trott down to the dealer tomorrow and order spacers (thanks in part to a $100 certificate from PCA).

Eric - no track car (at least that's what I'm telling my wife!). I found a great speed yellow/black '97 C2S that's loaded - factory aerokit, motorsound, painted calipers, sport seats, hifi, LSD, 18" wheels, colored seat belts, Al shifter & brake, carbon fiber interior and only 24000 miles. The car is perfect. I'll try to post a picture when I get a chance.
I'm going to put my RS wheels on it, strut brace and the PSS-9 suspension (I had put my '95 cab back to 100% stock). I may end up selling the RS wing & chin spoilers but not sure yet.
Unfortunately, I can't make the Wheel Source event - I promised my wife & kids that we'd go to Shedd Acquarium next Friday and then up to Wis Dells for 2 days at one of the indoor water parks. It's certainly not as fun as driving Putnam but it keeps the family happy.
Best of luck to you.
Rick

Quick Reply: Question on wheel spacers