Sponsored by:

Oil change DIY ..help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 01:37 PM
Georges Rebeiz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change DIY ..help

Thinking that it was the oil plug I have unscrewed the wrong drain plug. I don't know to which plug this pertains but it had a spring under it and black oil poured out.

I am attaching the plug I removed (lower right part of the picture)..Is it the transmission drain plug?or what??

Thx for your help.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:52 PM
Georges Rebeiz
Instructor

Reffering to the manual ,I have removed the plug for oil pressure relief valve.....What do I do now!!!
Old 10-26-2004, 01:59 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Is a Ibiza a African antelope ?
Old 10-26-2004, 02:06 PM
Georges Rebeiz
Instructor

gregg

It is more of a spanish camel that we`ride in this part of the world
Old 10-26-2004, 02:44 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do a search and you'll find out you're not the first one to screw up with this.

You'll also find out what/where the correct plug is.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:28 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Just reinstall it with a new crush washer (or the like) and make sure the spring and piston get installed correctly.

Your not the first one to do this, dont feel bad!
Old 10-26-2004, 10:14 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 260 Posts

Tee hee hee, do a search for my name (oleg steciw) and you'll find I posted the same question a few months ago!

No worries, just get a fresh crusher washer (different size than drain plug and tranny plug washers) and make sure to put it back together the right way.

Old 10-26-2004, 10:40 PM
solsrch
Pro

FF, you've got "seniority" and a ton of posts on me, and I don't want to become the next Agro, but if I was off in Lebanon, and might be dealing with some REALLY crummy download speeds (the voice of experience) I'd be a little torqued if the best you could offer was something along the lines of - pound sand and figure it out.
Maybe I'm just wandering into this at the wrong moment. I needed advice with my oil change gone awry a few months back and got fantastic help. That is what the I think the community is about.
Georges, sorry but I haven't taken this detour on the DIY road yet, so I can't offer any sage advice.
Okay, I guess I'll keep my HWFM mechanic application to myself after my many misadventures. I'm sure I'm the slowest wrench here but that just means I get to enjoy communing with my car that much longer.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:47 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by solsrch
FF, you've got "seniority" and a ton of posts on me, and I don't want to become the next Agro, but if I was off in Lebanon, and might be dealing with some REALLY crummy download speeds (the voice of experience) I'd be a little torqued if the best you could offer was something along the lines of - pound sand and figure it out.
Maybe I'm just wandering into this at the wrong moment. I needed advice with my oil change gone awry a few months back and got fantastic help. That is what the I think the community is about.
Georges, sorry but I haven't taken this detour on the DIY road yet, so I can't offer any sage advice.
Okay, I guess I'll keep my HWFM mechanic application to myself after my many misadventures. I'm sure I'm the slowest wrench here but that just means I get to enjoy communing with my car that much longer.
Honestly, how long does it take to search? I don't think his post was quite as demeaning as you made it out to be.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:09 PM
solsrch
Pro

Originally Posted by Red
Honestly, how long does it take to search? I don't think his post was quite as demeaning as you made it out to be.
Well, the first part is actually what is fueling my perspective. I've had the opportunity to use the web and have simple things die due to lack of bandwidth. We tend to lose sight of that as a possibility here in the continental US (of course, I've also had awesome access in the middle of nowhere too).
I suspect you are right in your second sentence, probably just sort of a pet peeve of mine. I tried to allude to that earlier. What can I say; it evoked a reaction, which I tried to temper but was unwilling to just push aside.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:15 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Joe,

My time is limited and my thought is, it's better to let Georges (or anyone else for that matter) know there is a perfect description(s) out there than just not reply at all.

If at the moment I did had more time, I could've explained better and search my archives for a pretty picture also but I didn't, so instead I wanted to let Georges know that there answer(s) are out there which he can very easily to find.

I guess it's better if next time I just don't reply at all.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:47 PM
Georges Rebeiz
Instructor

The problem is solved and I have just finished a DIY on spark plugs change,oil,gas and air filters,oil change and installed a new transmission undertray(which was missing) for the total sum of 475 $$.
The car runs smoother now and I feel a much better having done all those by myself..
What I did not do is that I did not change the washer of the oil pressure relief valve...well I could not wait to get the washer...
Thanks for all your help and for the 993 PDF manual..He he..
Old 10-27-2004, 03:44 PM
ammo_collector
Instructor

I did the same thing myself. PDF manual helped me reassemble the valve the correct way too. FYI, I also rushed and didn't use a new washer, but small drops started to form and ended up getting back under there and replacing the washer.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:17 PM
Georges Rebeiz
Instructor

Ben

How did you manage to change the washer without draining all the oil?? It seems very difficult as when you remove the plug the oil rushes out!!
Old 10-27-2004, 04:28 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Georges Rebeiz
Ben

How did you manage to change the washer without draining all the oil?? It seems very difficult as when you remove the plug the oil rushes out!!
Just flip the car over....

Quick Reply: Oil change DIY ..help