Sponsored by:

Sunvisor wont lower with radar mounted above rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 04:32 PM
mick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sunvisor wont lower with radar mounted above rear view mirror

Have seen many posts by others referring to mounting their radar detectors above their rear view mirror. Mounted mine there with no problem last week, but noticed the next morning that the sunvisor cant be lowered completely. Did an archive search and found an old post from Dan96C2 with a picture of his V1. It fits nicely above the mirror and he has plenty of room to lower both sunvisors. Did another search and found several others have found the same thing. Local dealer says there is only one size visor but Dan's is obviously different. Any thoughts?
Old 04-14-2003, 04:47 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

I have my V1 mounted right between the visors and they both go all the way down.

It is a close fit, but if you place the unit right between the visors (with a slight skew to the right) it should fit.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:01 PM
mick
Racer

Silver bullet and Chuck, It is mounted exactly in the middle. I could move it over towards the passenger side and the driver side visor would be functional but the passenger side visor wont lower. With the visors in their normal location I have only a couple of inches of seperation from the left visor to the right. My guess is your visors are similar to Dan's as referenced in my original post. They appear to be much shorter than the visors in my car. Mine is an early 95 and Dan's is a 96. It could be they changed visors from the original 95's. I think what I am really asking is where can I get a set of the shorter visors. Mick
Old 04-14-2003, 05:11 PM
mick
Racer

SB, thanks. Mick
Old 04-14-2003, 05:26 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry. Double post.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:30 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From the archives

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis:
<strong>I don't have my PET CD here at my office, so no part #s, but if seems that 993s use 2 different sizes for the visors. On my '96 coupe I have the smaller visors w/a large "blacked out" windshield area above the mirror. The visors have full movement w/o touching my V1, but the suction cups never held well on the black area.

The larger visors have limited movement w/a V1 above the mirror, but have no (or a smaller?) black area. The larger visor cars also have a larger mirror. I'm not sure which cars have which (maybe late '96+ are larger), but it makes a difference for the over the mirror V1 mount.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">BTW, as stated above, I believe the windshield is also different w/the larger visor cars lacking the black center area above a larger size mirror.

The change seems to not be by MY. My early '96 has small visors, my friend's later '96 TT has the bigger visors.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:27 PM
mick
Racer

Turns out my windshield had to be replaced last year. Didnt realize it at the time but it must also be the newer model as the blacked out space is much larger than necessary with the longer visors as Dan describes in his post. sounds like all I need to do now is find the shorter visors. Have checked several web sites, including Gert, and no luck so far. Have not checked with local dealer so far and have not yet emailed Gert but I will soon if I dont locate it. Thanks for everyone's help. Mick
Old 04-14-2003, 08:19 PM
96P993
Pro

Why not try a different location???? This is where I put mine. I also bought a part from Lincoln that covers the wire coming from the headliner...No wires no messing with sunvisors..Then if you get really crazy put the hidden display console in your tach... Here is a picture of the radar<a href="http://members.rennlist.com/96p993/wind1.jpg" target="_blank">V1</a>

Quick Reply: Sunvisor wont lower with radar mounted above rear view mirror