chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts
Default stripper advice needed...

Knew that would get your attention

Anyhow, currently I am stripping a set of wheels to be refinished and really prefer to get ALL the original paint and primer off of them.

So far, I have used some type of jelly paint stripper from Home Depot, I think called Jasco or the like. This did bubble up most of it, but is very very time consuming to reapply after some scraping etc. Works good on skin though

Next step was I tried bead blasting here at work, as we have a pretty powerful version and it really doesnt do anything to whats left of the paint/primer. (??)

Anyone recommend a better chemical stripper or anther way to strip these factory wheels?

Maybe a heat gun and a putty knife?

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2004, 04:17 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I have had good success with Soda Blasting. Much less abusive than sand and really leaves a nice workable finish.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:25 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

I've used the Aircraft stripper found at Auto Zone and others. It usually takes several applications but will remove all paint.

The trick is to apply the stripper and use medium (#0 or #1) steel wool to remove the paint.

Be sure to use gloves and a mask..... This stuff is nasty!
Old 10-25-2004, 04:39 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried a knot wheel on an angle grinder? This may pit the aluminum though; I'm not sure.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:55 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

You might want to try some of the stripper they sell at auto paint store.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:04 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 240 Posts

Chris,

The best chemical I've used for this is methyl ethyl ketone (MEK). You should be able to buy it in gallons. Use it in a well ventilated area or wear a respirator and use good rubber gloves. If you've gotten most of the coating off, this is the best stuff to use for the detail cleaning. Pour on a cotton cloth and wipe off the paint residue. MEK takes off ANYTHING from a metal surface!
Old 10-25-2004, 05:08 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Thanks all for the ideas! Chemical stripper seems to be the best way, so far. The bead blaster here at work is filled with a soda type media. Maybe I'll spend some more time with if after hours.

I also have MEK here at work that I may try. Have used that stiff for years while bonding composites, nasty, nasty stuff indeed!

Will give it a go
Old 10-25-2004, 05:10 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad form Chris!!!!!! You got me all interested to read this thread
Old 10-25-2004, 05:11 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 351 Posts

Chris,

Unless you are a glutton for punishment...just take the wheels over to Al Reed at Al Reed Speciality Polishing in W. Anaheim. Tell him I sent you (That way he'll charge you more?). He is only one town over from you. You have been on the road all year...time to relax. Let Al and Diane do the job for you...then you'll have time to fab up some carbon fiber parts!!!
Old 10-25-2004, 07:26 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably better not tell your wife about this little project of yours.

MEK. A very hot solvent. You could soak them in the stuff. It will remove the finish. Xylene would also do the trick. Try a final cleaning with denatured alcohol. Don't breath too much of the stuff and wear gloves or your hands will turn incredible white.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:16 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Chris,

Unless you are a glutton for punishment...just take the wheels over to Al Reed at Al Reed Speciality Polishing in W. Anaheim. Tell him I sent you (That way he'll charge you more?). He is only one town over from you. You have been on the road all year...time to relax. Let Al and Diane do the job for you...then you'll have time to fab up some carbon fiber parts!!!
Martin, you should know by now that I am exactly that...a glutten for punishment Al Reed WILL be ones mounting these once they are done. BTW, could you forward his phone number?

Relax? What is that.. My wife HATES the first few weeks that I am home after the season. I'm up early on weekends, piddling in the garage, then on the computer (Rennlist), then back out to the garage, walking around the house like I am tweaking or something. Truth is, just so used to having a wicked schedule that it takes me a few weeks to calm down.. What a moron I am
Old 10-26-2004, 12:25 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 'body shop' just off sunset???!!!
... sorry couldn't resist.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:11 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by 24FPS
the 'body shop' just off sunset???!!!
... sorry couldn't resist.
I'll have to remember that next time I am in the area!

Update: today, stopped by Pep Boys, you know...... the place where they sell everything except car parts....puuhleease.... they sell t-shirts and refreshments now.. Now I know why they rarely have parts for my daily driver

Anyhow, bought some Aircraft Stripper, actually it isnt the original Aircraft Stripper that you used to be able to buy, but Aircraft 'brand' paint stripper. Applied to the wheel that I am stripping and it actually worked better than the Jasco brand from Homer Depot. Made some real progress today. Tomorrow I will concentrate on the backside and hopefully get this one done. Then time to move on to the next

For another data point, I weighed the wheel only, no valve stem or wheel weights, before stripping any paint. Weighed 22.66lbs. on a hyper accurate scale at work. I plan to weigh it once completely stripped just for sheits and giggles..

Picture before:
Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2004, 01:20 AM
Benton
Drifting

Chris, what color will you be painting them? Here is a picture of my car back when my wheels were spray bombed duplicolor graphite. I miss them sometimes, but for everyday I think the silver suits my car best.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:38 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey chris will you be simply polishing/tinting them to finish or what? (think of the weight savings!) h eh heh...

can't wait to see 'em naked ...was eyeing the polished versions avail the other day. curious what it looks like under the paint.

late.

)))edit((( gray might be nice... was thinkin' of painting my hollows that 'audi' dark gray.

Quick Reply: stripper advice needed...