Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help with Bosch Hammer (Steve W.?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 12:03 AM
Rob Kwate
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Need Help with Bosch Hammer (Steve W.?)

I recently bought a used Bosch KTS-300 "Hammer" to use on my 96 993. (I'm sure you know where this is going.) The tester seems to work fine on all of the systems (heater, airbag, alarm, ABS 5/ABD) except DME. When I turn the tester on, the screen reads:

KTS 300
self test

When the self test is done, the screen reads:

Porsche
Eprom mod. eng
Mod. intro 20.03.95
Version 7.0

Once I hook the tester up to the car, the screen reads:

Installed Systems
1. DME
2. Heater
3. Airbag
[Second Screen]
1. Alarm
2. ABS 5/ABD

Once I select DME, the screen reads:

DME
System: M07
Ser. No.: 99361860400
RB No.: 0261204008

The next screen reads:

"System unknown. Fault memory only can be read."

Incidentally, the DME selection on the Control Unit Chart reads: M00, M04, M05, and M06--but not M07.

Finally, the label on the software module reads: Bosch 928GV, Version 7.0/1.95

The tester is helpful because I can check all of the systems other than the DME, but I want to be able to check the DME as well. Can an updated software module be installed so that I can check the DME or will I have to find a KTS 500? If I do have to get a KTS 500, 1) will the cable and charger from the 300 work with it and 2) Do you happen to know where I could find one? Any help or advice you could give me is greatly appreciated.

Regards, Rob.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:21 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rob,

I don't know the answer to your question, but my desire to bleed the ABD on my car has led me to investigate these tools, as well. Here is <a href="http://www.pelicanbbs.com/posts/82671.htm" target="_blank">Pelican Parts bulletin board post</a> that might provide some of the information you are seeking.

Good luck!
Old 04-13-2003, 12:24 PM
Rob Kwate
Rennlist Member

Anir:

Thanks for the reply. The resposne from Roland Kunz that, "The Hammer can handle 993 OBD II but you need an upgraded module" makes me think that I won't need to get a different tester. This makes sense to me, since the KTS 500 looks more like a laptop computer and I had my car checked in Boise last year by an independent shop with a Hammer (not a laptop-looking device) and they had no problem checking the OBD II system. All I can figure is that their hammer had a different/upgraded software module. Also, a Porsche specialty tool site has new and reconditioned hammers and the software modules and claim they will work on Porsches from 89 to 03. I'll call them and the independent shop in Boise tomorrow.

Thanks for the help, Rob.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Rob Kwate
Rennlist Member

Just an update in case anyone cares.

I did call the shop in Bosie. They confirmed that their Hammer had the version 8.0 software. I called Sunset Porsche and ordered the updated software module. They said Germany had 24 left in stock. It cost about $450 after using my Porsche gift certificate, but at least I'm set to go.

Cheers, Rob.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:43 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 339 Likes on 225 Posts
Rob;

What did you pay for the Hammer? What did you see for pricing when you did your search?

Quick Reply: Need Help with Bosch Hammer (Steve W.?)