Sponsored by:

Need Advice on a deadbeat buyer

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 10:13 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Need Advice on a deadbeat buyer

I need advice...I sold a set of wheels to person a couple of months ago. The person saw my ad on the rennlist and offered me my asking price. He lived locally in my town and came over with 1/2 of the money. He said if he could take all four wheels, he would pay me the remainder the following week. I know I shouldn't have done this, but I let him take the wheels. The next wek came and went and I never heard from him. I called him and he said that he was having money problems and would like to pay me over time. Once again, I thought we have all had tough times, and this was during the Hurricanes, so I let him set up a plan. The first payment date came and ofcourse no payment. I asked for my wheels back, but with no success. I spoke to an attorney and my only recourse is small claims court, and even there the court can't make him pay. Any suggestions...I thought about sending Bruno, but the way my luck is running, I'll end up on exposed on some Dateline special investigation....
Old 10-20-2004, 10:52 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 204 Posts

GO PUBLIC on here....

Let this be a lesson to us all - DONT trust ANYBODY!! People like this really irk me....

Ruin it for the rest of us....

Sorry to hear about your loss - expose him !

Simon
Old 10-20-2004, 11:01 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Is this person a frequent Rennlister? I would have another talk with this person and explain the facts of life to him.

Yes, people do fall on hard times, often in the middle of a transaction....BUT.. there has got to be a plan and said person has GOT to stick to it. I am more than patient with people, often giving the benefit of the doubt, then again, I have gotten burnt a few times being the nice guy..

Sucks that this has happened to you. I know I hate hearing this at times, but it could have been worse.. FWIW
Old 10-20-2004, 11:05 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

It just makes me mad that there is simple nothing you can do. I pay my bills, everyone else should as well!
Old 10-20-2004, 11:10 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gosh... sure hope it wasn't a member. feel bad for you. ---always have enjoyed how well everyone here has been... very honorable group. i've had no prob. sending stuff off & waiting for payment------ hope this person doesn't wreck it for all of us. geez!

it's really beyond me why someone cannot conduct themselves like an adult... if ya got the cash... you can get it.... if you don't... you can't. h e l l o ? btw: can this person maybe even pay you via paypal? visa... mastercard...

bol
Old 10-20-2004, 11:32 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Well I learned a lesson, but I must admit, I have done transactions with many of you guys in the past. EVERYONE has been honorable until this. I feel I can continue to trust most people. This guy's name is Michael Burckhalter. He owns a 944 and lives in Orange Park, FL. My advice is.... beware!
Old 10-20-2004, 11:34 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the same question: Was it a member? That would really suck. I think most of us are pretty relaxed about dealing with members. This will be a poorer place if that situation has to change.

Do you know where he lives? Maybe you and a few buddies can go reposess them one day. I bet if you confronted him with a few friends, a floor jack, and a refund, he would see the light.

Greg H.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:15 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

You were trusting, but how many of us have been equally as trusting with our fellow Rennlisters? I know I have sent goods to people and have received payment later and have had items sent to me before I mailed a check. There is a strong sense of family here, so I really hope this guy is a Rennlist interloper and not a Rennlist member.

Good luck, Jim.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:27 AM
msw
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 16 Posts

Small claims court may be your only recourse...kind of a (interesting) process to go through (don't ask how I know), but quite simple. You would most likely get a "judgement" against the deadbeat...and there are "resources" for collecting. It certainly helps if you know where his money is (i.e which bank) or where he works. Then it is simple.

If he has a business, you can do a "sheriff sitting?" where they will actually sit there and "collect" your money from "customers" until you are made whole...a process which can be quite embarassing for the "business."
Old 10-21-2004, 12:43 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If he has fallen on hard times I would think he would rather have the cash than the wheels. If not, he is a scum bag and should be banned from Rennlist.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:03 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I have got deals going on all over this board, and I have never insisted on cash up front and never had a problem. I do have one rennlister right now insisting on a money order for a small purchase though. Kinda feel sad about that. I have also had stuff shipped to me by rennlisters before I wrote the check too. thats the way I feel about all you guys/gals. I feel bad for you clubrcr.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:27 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

99% of the folks here are 100% trustworthy. Like many, I've swapped/bought/sold a number of items with more than a few individuals. I've trusted them implicitly, and their trust was returned in kind. To date there's been no issues at all... I prefer to believe in the goodness of people and so far have not been disappointed with the crew here.

Of course I know someday that I'll get burned. I'd hope that a single dishonest individual wouldn't cloud my view of the rest of the good folks here.

However, once someone has blown it in the trust department they deserve what they get... thanks for naming the individual. Small claims is the way to go I'm sure, though I'd be more tempted to try the "midnight reacquisition" approach...

Good luck, I hope there's a happy ending here...
Old 10-21-2004, 06:41 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

This might not be the best avenue, but I have seen John Dunkle help out from time to time on issues like this. He helped out some 928 folks when a guy in Dallas was ripping people off by "selling" shop manuals.

I would drop JD a line and ask for some input. A few emails from him to this wheel thief may clear things up.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:18 AM
sweanders
Race Director

I think there was a 944 guy who got ripped off and a few (a whole bunch) listers in different time zones got his number and called to remind him of what he had promised.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:58 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

Jim, did you put anything in writing? If not, lesson learned. Sorry, I know that doesn't help now.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on a deadbeat buyer