Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice on a deadbeat buyer

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 11:29 AM
duc916
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why can't you call the police and lodge a complaint for theft. He has stolen your property. Seems simple to me, if the police show up as his place of work it should get his attention.

Dan
Old 10-21-2004, 11:47 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Now I'm getting fired up ... any Florida lawyers on the board who are familiar with small claims in Florida?

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 10-21-2004, 11:58 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by duc916
Why can't you call the police and lodge a complaint for theft. He has stolen your property. Seems simple to me, if the police show up as his place of work it should get his attention.

Dan
Jim,

Actually Dan's idea is not a bad one. The "transaction" you describe is sort of a jump-ball between a civil and criminal situtation. The buyer may have had the intent to defraud you from the begining.

Depending on the locality you live in and if you get someone sympathetic in law enforcement, this can work quickly and the price is right. Nothing will motivate a dead-beat to pay up like a police squad car pulling up to his house or work place.

I suggest contacting the local sherriff or state police. Rural law enforcement tends to be more sympathetic to these situations. Talk to a detective (better if it was someone you knew or a friend of a friend...) and tell them the story. Explain that you believe the buyer intended to defraud you and you want to collect the funds or have him arrested. The law enforcement person will contact the buyer to get his take on the story. Next thing you know, you'll have your money.

We (my company) have used this same procedure at least twice when we were owed money. It could have gone either way, civil or criminal. The law enforcement guys were very helpful and both times we got paid or got our property returned.

Good luck.

Last edited by mike cap; 10-21-2004 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:43 AM
1996 Carrera4S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the great man who said the following, but it's one of the most important and unheeded caveats. "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Jim, I think the spirit of support shown by your fellow Rennlisters demonstrates that there are some people left in this world who operate by principles. I think you wrote earlier in the thread that it's the principle. So, I encourage you to follow this to the end in whatever way seems right to you. You will be one of the good men who refuses to stand by and do nothing in the face of the total disregard for the rights of others. Good luck and fight the good fight.

Regards,
Matt
Old 10-22-2004, 09:27 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I will stand by this and see it t the end. I hate to think that anyone would be able to get away with this for any amount of money.

I talked to one of my clients, who is a chief detective with the Jacksonville Sheriff's office. He said that there was nothing they could do and my only recourse was to go through an attorney.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:30 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Post his name here and at your next event,call police and fill out a report if they will take it.
Go to your local municipal prosecutor and seek help,ask a attorney friend to write a letter and go to small claims court !
Good Luck.
I always get shafted after I pay !
Old 11-21-2004, 08:02 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Just a quick.. I send this jerk a demand letter via an attorney. It seems while we have beenn getting ready for small claims court filing, this deadbeat moved with no forwarding address...

Please don't do business with this guy, MICHAEL BURCKHALTER.

What a jerk....
Old 11-21-2004, 08:27 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 309 Posts

Hey Jim,

Leave his phone number, work address, etc.
Since he is making life HELL for you, why not some Rennlisters make life HELL for him.
With trash like Mike, you have to be just as mean.
If I lived in Florida, I would be more than happy to confront this ******* with you.
Please keep us informed.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:53 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

I went by were he was living (an apartment complex) and left a note on his roomate's car. Sometime ago he said his best friend's husband was a sheriff. I got a telephone call from the sheriff today saying that I was tresspassing and I had been warned. I told the sheriff, I hadn't done anything wrong and he felt froggy come arrest me. I also told him to tell his buddy, that I'll go broke before I left this guy get away with screwing people.

Isn't always the people that seem to be invloved with the law, that seem to have a friend that is a policeman/sheriff.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:53 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

Hey Jim,

I am also sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident. I know I would be boiling. Even though I agree 110% with my fellow Rennlisters, let me offer up another piece of advice.
Write it up as a loss and a lesson learned. After all, you can't squeeze blood from a stone and it sounds as if this guy has little to nothing for you to go after.
I know it's an unfortunate loss and I would probably not heed my own advice in your situation, I just hope to be a sound of reason.
The time and effort you may spend trying to resolve it will probably **** off your wife, raise your blood pressure, take away time that you could use being productive somehow and will probably not resolve itself anytime soon.

It would seem that as a group, we Rennlisters are quite generous. With our time, advice, money, friendship, etc. Things like this are bound to happen from time to time and we all have to lookout for one another. Unfortunately the risk reward factor is not slanted in your favor for this instance.
It is a small world though and I'm sure Michel Bruckhalter will surface again. If he does, we know him now and revenge is a dish best served cold.

best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
B
Old 11-21-2004, 08:59 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

I hate to admit it but you are 100% correct. I noticed everytime i start working on this, I am tough to be around. I do believe "what goes around comes around".

Although I want to be mature about this, it is hard.

Bottom line..... I need to spend time on things that are more productive.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:01 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clubrcr
Please don't do business with this guy, MICHAEL BURCKHALTER.
Is he a Rennlister? What is his screen name?
Old 11-21-2004, 09:04 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

I don't know if he is rennlister, although he did get see the ad on the rennlist for my wheels.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:13 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

I'd glad to hear you are letting this one go. Maybe you can just pray for him. He must be in a lot of spiritual pain to do something so lame as this!

When I bought some exhaust tips from another Rennlister (Phil), he just sent them to me in advance of my $100 check being received by him. I was blown away. This is the spirit of the Rennlist community. Sometimes you get burned, but most times you don't. With an item that valuable though, I guess it's NEVER worth taking a chance. If it's $100 or less, I'd be less apt to worry about doing what you did.

Lesson learned. Move on and forgetaboutit. You'll be so glad to put it behind you! Laughing about it is better than crying about it. I guess by now you're probably all cried out anyway.

Respectfully yours,
Steve
Old 11-21-2004, 11:18 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Windward almost screwed me!

what a pill! We need one of these! E46 Buyer/Seller Feedback Forum

Quick Reply: Need Advice on a deadbeat buyer