Sponsored by:

Need Advice on a deadbeat buyer

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 08:26 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim

Thats really a bummer. Sorry to hear someone here at Rennlist would take advantage of the trust that has been EARNED here. If he is a member, he should be banned and flogged. I like sweanders idea. Enough calls to this guys bugging and ******* him out might change his mind. Or I do believe a personal visit is in order. You have the right to repossess your wheels. Court is an option but it would take a lot of your time and can be a royal PITA.

Good luck.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:34 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I did have something in writing, but here's the problem.... The guy doesn't own a business, a later found out he was a renter, and no longer lives at that address, I have his work address, but i am told that I can't bother/harass him at work in Florida. If he gets a judgment in small claims, the court doesn't make him pay. I thought about getting judgment only so I can repo the wheels, but that poocess will cost me about as much as I have already. It's the principal not the money. I don't want to be nervous about people. I'll just chalk it up as experience.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:43 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I feel bad for you Jim,

How about if you go and "steal" your wheels from his car?
Old 10-21-2004, 08:55 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim-

For me, I wouldn't let it slide. I do too many transactions with fellow RL members to not know who the bad apple is. Is he a Rennlist member? If he is, how about a SN? Amazing what a little "peer" pressure will do.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:21 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I feel bad for you Jim,

How about if you go and "steal" your wheels from his car?

Yeah, and leave what he paid minus your expenses under the windscreen wiper.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:35 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If I understand correctly, you are noty allowed to hassle this guy at work?! Why not get a few (large) friends and trail him out of work. You can then "request" that he coughs up the money or returns the goods. This sucks. Good luck!

Cheers,

David
Old 10-21-2004, 09:40 AM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BOGUS - I think that if you let his work number slip here the guy would eventually pay. 20 + guys (or more, lots more) calling every day to speak with Mr. Burkhalter about some money he owes...that would be terriffic. I know that I would call..
Old 10-21-2004, 09:46 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb

Just a thought - can you lodge a complaint with a credit agency; that should screw him?!

Cheers,

David
Old 10-21-2004, 10:02 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Ha ... anybody want to call or drop by the a--hole in Destin FL who burned me when I purchased MY car? His lawyer warned me to stop contacting him about settling it.

If you're gonna let it go anyway, why not drop by and, you know, kind of refinish the rims for him? After all, they are half yours ... just customize the outer halves ;-)

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 10-21-2004, 10:05 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

If you do some refinishing with your drill do be careful that your drill does not keep slipping onto his tyres... ;-)
Old 10-21-2004, 10:23 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Take a judgment in small claims and then set about garnishing his wages. You will be able to get your court costs(for filing the small claims and the garnishment costs), interest and the outstanding balance. I am almost certain that as soon as his employer is served with garnishment papers, he'll pay. (Note, I am a lawyer in Ohio, not Florida. I would say Florida has garnishment statutes). Here in Ohio, you don't need a lawyer to do any of the above.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:33 AM
msw
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 17 Posts

John is right...as long as you know "where" his money is (i.e. bank, work, etc.), collecting should not be a problem. In California, limit for small claims is $5K, no attorneys, unless you get a judgement and the guy "appeals." Then both sides can be represented.

All in all, not being in the "law" field, I found it to be an interesting/learning experience.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:41 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

The best/worst part of small claims is that the Rules of Evidence do not apply. You don't need anything in writing, can use hearsay etc. It just comes down to who the magistrate believes, if the guy shows.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:07 AM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that you should go through the small claims court process. Why should this Burkhalter get YOUR wheels for half price? He has caused you hassle/anxiety, why shouldn't you give him some of that hassle and anxiety back in a legal manner? It isn't just about the money, it is the fact that this guy feels he can go around and scam people.

Just seeing him in court, knowing he had to burn a vacation day to be there would be some satisfaction.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:18 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 133 Posts

I am in totall agreement here about not letting this guy get away with it. I just dealt with something similar in my business. I too, am too trusting, but I have learned the hard way that if someone has screwed you, then they probably have been doing the same thing to other people for a very long time. Someone has to say "enough." Go for the full-court press and don't for a moment feel bad about it. This guy deserves it.

BTW, I too, have had wonderful experiences with this board and its members. One bad guy is not going to spoil my trust in the rest of you folks!

Best of luck to you.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on a deadbeat buyer