993 Forum 1995-1998

You Guys Weren't Lying...My 1st DE.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 02:52 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,608 Likes on 2,304 Posts

arrwin, when you first start, the wear and tear is minimal b/c you aren't pushing it very hard yet. later on, you will eat tires, pads and rotors. those are the most common consumables. learn to changed pads and oil yourself will save you a bundle b/c you WILL be doing that ALOT.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:54 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Arrwin, I got the trailer. I am trying to figure out how to mod it!! couches, TV, AC generator,
ViperBob cousultation room etc.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:07 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrwin,
I'm glad you had a good time. I was in your exact position 3 shorts years ago. As John stated above, there is very minimal wear and tear when you get started. I started with a stock Boxster with street tires & pads and ran my 1st DE season without having to replace anything (man was I slow....) I did not know anything about car repairs but many in my region (Riesentoter) were happy to let me watch and even happier to lend a hand. If you really want to learn, many folks are thrilled to teach. After many mods to the Boxster, I jumped up to a 993TT and and enjoy driving and working on my car. I now check my pads and bleed brake fluid every morning at the track.You will get tons of advise from everyone else so I just wanted to remind you of the slope and encourage you to have fun. I love virgins!
T
Old 10-19-2004, 05:38 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Ahhhh, my son.

About time you let the old girl clear her lungs. I recommend finding a nice cheap beat-up set of wheels, mount some Kumho's and head for Lime Rock!

Cheers,
Old 10-19-2004, 06:00 PM
nman413
Drifting

Arrwin, to check your pads, take a flashlight and shine them at the calipers on the side close to the wheel studs. Make sure you dont drive them down to the backing plate like some others here do

Dont forget, you'll need a jack, jackstands (dont skimp on these), tools, power bleeder, etc etc. Ask me how I know... I blame John
Old 10-19-2004, 06:10 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterS
Ahhhh, my son.

About time you let the old girl clear her lungs. I recommend finding a nice cheap beat-up set of wheels, mount some Kumho's and head for Lime Rock!

Cheers,
I either owe this all to you or blame you for all this. Don't know which yet. If we're in the poor house, Geneva will come after you and she knows where you live!

Was hoping this would get a post outta you. How's it going? Hope the family is well including the ///M5.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icerbofh
Arrwin, to check your pads, take a flashlight and shine them at the calipers on the side close to the wheel studs. Make sure you dont drive them down to the backing plate like some others here do

Dont forget, you'll need a jack, jackstands (dont skimp on these), tools, power bleeder, etc etc. Ask me how I know... I blame John
Thanks for the tip Jauder. Would I easily be able to tell how much pad I have left? For instance, how thick (in.) is the pad new?
Old 10-20-2004, 02:35 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks and sounds like you had lots of fun! Congrats! I always believe that Driver's Ed is the no. 1 investment. It beats any other upgrade expenses. It will able you to drive safely faster. Thanks for sharing awesome pix.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:45 AM
nman413
Drifting

Arrwin, I think if you measure I think at least 8mm on the pad material, that's good. Have a local guy show you sometime. It's kinda hard to describe where to measure...
Old 10-20-2004, 11:59 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Arrwin - It sounds like you had a GREAT time. Congrats....
Old 10-20-2004, 12:08 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by viperbob
Arrwin - It sounds like you had a GREAT time. Congrats....
Thanks VB. I just realized that all you guys are congratulating me on join you guys on the dark side!

Originally Posted by mnmblu
BTW, your girlfriend is some photographer. I really enjoyed her composition and the framing of her shots, very interesting to look at.
Have fun and start looking for a night job.
Thanks Alan. I told my gf your compliment to her and it made her day. Thanks. Now...maybe this will inspire her to take some more pics at future DE's! Good thinking Alan!!
Old 10-20-2004, 12:45 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Arrwin
Thanks VB. I just realized that all you guys are congratulating me on join you guys on the dark side!
I tend to think of it more as the "enlightened side"...

Quick Reply: You Guys Weren't Lying...My 1st DE.