993 Forum 1995-1998

That last 1/2 inch (installing CDR-220)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 05:54 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default That last 1/2 inch (installing CDR-220)

hi folks,

I bought a cdr-220 recently and have begun the process of installing the components.

Wired up the amp, hooked up the RCA interconnects and ran the remote switch for the amp to the HU. Everything powers up, code works, amp turns on. We're all set...almost.

Struggled for about 45 mins trying to get the darn HU in. I removed the Alpine cage, was careful about the harnesses behind the radio, blah, blah, blah. Bottom line, the radio just won't go in that last 1/2 inch.

Also the darn radio removal keys are stuck to the radio! Arrrgghhh!

Any tips or tricks appreciated.

thanks,
Old 10-19-2004, 06:01 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Travis,
If you haven't already done it, you can get a better look and more room to work by taking out the glove box. Three screws hold the door, and four screws hold the box itself.

There is a built-in bracket inside the dash that the HU must fit through. It is located toward the rear of the opening, and if the HU isn't lined up correctly, it will interfere with this bracket.

BobbyT
Old 10-19-2004, 06:18 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks BobbyT.

I already removed the glove box.

Definitely know what you're describing and have using my fingers to guide the radio onto those two rear brackets.

Don't want to push too hard...
Old 10-19-2004, 06:30 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Travis,

The problem with getting the HU back in is usually all the wiring and cables that get jammed in back there. I was as frustrated trying to get my Alpine HU in there until my brother-in-law showed me how to manipulate the wires from underneathe while pushing the unit in. With your right hand, reach up and under the dash to the rca connects and pull them as you are pushing in the unit. Also, if you have other extraneous wires, etc, push them up out of the way. It is trial and error but it all fits in easily and neatly if the wires are straightened out. Good luck.

Last edited by jdoc7; 10-19-2004 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:30 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A small screw driver pushed against a spring loaded tab on the side of the radio will release the keys. I got my hand up behing the center console to fend off the wiring harnesses and antenna cable as I pushed the radio home. Something is definitely obstructing the radio.

Dave
Old 10-20-2004, 12:36 AM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks all!

I was able to get the radio in this evening. Helps to step away from the project to reset the whole psyche.

BobbyT and jdoc7 had the right suggestions, you have to guide the back of the radio onto the rear tabs. What worked for me was to pry on the bottom of both rear mounting tabs to help the radio slide into the brackets fully. (used my fingers through the opening underneath and from the hole made by removing the glove box.)

Got one door done too. Now just got to finish the other door and I'm all set.

I was able to get the radio keys out by prying them out. No damage that I could see.

Oh, almost forgot, my stereo setup:

Head Unit: the infamously snug CDR-220
AMP: Soundstream MC140 (old school) but fits in the same place as the hi-fi amp.
Speakers: Alpine SPX-177a components. Crutchfield had them on sale for 150. Wouldn't recommend them since the x-overs are HUGE.
Rear speakers: stock.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:50 AM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well done Travis. I was going to suggest going to Custom Car Alarms, our partner owns it and they could do it for you in a flash. Your install is giving me some incentive to restore my system to the stock look.

Let's get together for a BAR drive or maybe Jim Morton's detailing party on Oct. 30.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:23 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, definitely. BAR drive sounds good.

The system going in is very basic. Anthony's crew could probably do this in their sleep!

Quick Reply: That last 1/2 inch (installing CDR-220)