Sponsored by:

Limits of the Turbo S oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 01:35 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There really are (or have been) two 'Pete @ Andial' personas: version 1.0 and version 2.0.

1.0 definitely, without a doubt, came across as a great big ******. Version 2 is either an entirely different person at the keyboard, or Pete's really brushed up on his people/keyboard skills. And I certainly welcome the change.

My guess here is that Pete's got the usual guy syndrome of not being able to say 'I don't know' what the exact temp was during his past experience testing high HP motors.
Offering to go back out & test for $$$ was his way of saying that. Kind of a Pete version 1.1 response.
Old 08-27-2001, 02:58 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Greg,

Maybe you are right - I might be reading too much into Pete's attitude. The quesiton he asked can not really be answered, and I assumed he knew that. Boost & timing are maps and I would have to provide entire, multiple maps to answer his question. It should be pretty clear I don't have that info and I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that he was being difficult in asking for that. I can certiainly understand if he doesn't know the exact temperatures they ran at - just say so. I saw a big difference between ambients of 104 and 107, so I was curious about his experiences. If Pete is really trying to be helpful, let's see how he responds - I am always willing to change my opinion about someone when their actions warrant it.

BTW - If memory serves me correctly, there is more than on Pete at Andial so that may explain the two accounts and personas.
Old 08-28-2001, 10:48 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Wink

As I read the above posts, I am even more aware of the limitations of Board communication. Before one member writes off another publically on the Rennlist forum, why not give that person a call and discuss the issues. If someone has a "beef" with Pete, call him. Pete takes calls most anytime and is always willing to dispense advice. In fact, with all the calls he takes, I don't know how he gets his job done.
Pete is not in the business for the money...he really loves what he does.

Pete has done some work for me in the past as well as friends of mine.It has been excellent. If you want to know more, drop me an e-mail.
Old 08-29-2001, 02:03 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Some of the Buttonwillow configurations can be harder on a car than the big track at Willow, due to the on and off throttle and short shoots. I was very interested in Mark D's observations on oil temps until it became an ad hominem attack on Pete. I am curious if anyone on the board has run a turbo S cooler and then switched to a Cargraphic with a modified 993tt. What has been their experience in 100+ degree weather?

I've run on 105 F days with a passenger for 20 to 25 minute sessions and seen 120 C on the oil temp.(thats the 3/4 mark before red)The intercooler temp was 107 F. Motor dynoed at 590+ on race gas. Since my car is 70/30 street/track, a bigger oil cooler(cargraphic) will probably weaken an already marginal air conditioning system due to its location in front of the condenser. Except for the one very hot track day a year, the turbo S cooler still appears to be the "hot ticket"
Jim B.
Old 08-29-2001, 03:25 AM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Jim,

The highest ambient temps I have run at was around 95 degrees. With the bigger cooler, the temp gauge never got above 9:00.

You are probably right in that the "S" cooler will work just fine for 90% of the applications. I got the Cargraphic one because I'll take all of the cooling I can get.

Also, I didn't see a problem with the air conditioner during that day.

FYI,

Rick

Quick Reply: Limits of the Turbo S oil cooler