Sponsored by:

Limits of the Turbo S oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 12:10 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Limits of the Turbo S oil cooler

I had my TT (~500HP) at Buttonwillow - Clearly found the limit for the S oil cooler. Ambient on Sat was 107. After 3-4 HARD laps, the oil temp was above the last white line, but not quite to the red zone. One cool off lap would bring it to the white line. I was not interested on pushing further to see if the temp climbed or held. At those temps, the driver was also at the limits. I figure that I found the limit of the Turbo S cooler. On Sunday, the ambient was ~104. Only got to the half way point between the white line and the red zone regardless of how many hard laps I ran.

While I would probably do the Cargraphic unit if I had it to do over (I didn't know about it when I did my S cooler), the S cooler certainly handles high temp and fairly high HP.
Old 08-24-2001, 12:27 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 343 Likes on 236 Posts
Mark,

What have you done to your car to achive the 500HP? I am in the middle of a similar upgrade and would be interested to hear what you have done and how you like it. I have done the cat bypass pipes and the "RS" lightweight flywheel/sport clutch is in the process of being installed today. I am leaning toward the K-24 street version turbos with 5 bar fuel pressure regulator and the matching FVD ECU. Considering the "S" oil cooler as the car will see no track time. Any advice?
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 08-24-2001, 12:29 AM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well described! Press pedal a bit more to trigger asymtotic regret! Time to upgrade the cooler dude! [img]undefined[/img]
Old 08-24-2001, 01:17 AM
Pete911air
Instructor

Mark,
I dont think your S cooler is the problem.What kind of intercooler are you running?, is the intake air close to ambien temperature?,what is your timing advance?,
what boost are you running?. We at ANDIAL build 13 630 HP. engines and some of those poeple run very hard (1.29 at willow ) and have no problem with high oil temp.

Pete.
Old 08-24-2001, 01:40 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

John -
FVD K-24 Sport Turbos and ECU + 5 bar regulator. Upgraded Intercooler and S oil cooler complete the 'power' mods. Also have the light flywheel setup and Bilstein/Eibach suspension w/ RS bars. Ran Hoosiers for the first time.

Pete -
I was not expressing a problem, mearly stating that I felt I found the limit of cooling. The point is not so much running hard, but the very high ambient temps when running hard. It seemed marginal when the air temp was 107 but ok at 104. Have your customer cars run at those temps - if so, how did they do, temp wise?
Old 08-24-2001, 01:20 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks Mark,

A couple more questions, if you don't mind:

By "sport" K-24, do you mean the quickest spooling K-24, aka the GT-1? How do you find the lag compared to the stock K-16? Any comments about the LW clutch?

Also, since I do not track the car, I am really only interested in enhanced street performance. Given your experience with this set up, would you consider it "fine" for enthusiast weekend drives?
Old 08-24-2001, 01:58 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

The Turbos are FVD Sport units. As I understand it, they are k-24 bodies with a mix of k-24/16 parts. There is no increased lag bs. stock, that I can feel. There is also no real noticiable performance gain (seat of pants or measured to 6000 rpm) over just the ECU upgrade I did. On the track, however, I get an additional 10+mph top speed on most straights with the turbos. If I were only taking the car on the street, I think I would stay with stock turbos. They are fine up to 6000 rpm.

As far as the clutch - It is a bit touchier than stock - you need a few more revs to get the car moving, but I quickly got used to it. No issues on the street. This was a change I could feel in the seat of my pants and measure on the stopwatch.

A couple of other things I have done that you might consider. I changed motor mounts to a sport part, and upgraded the turbo/intercooler hoses to a new version. Both are factory parts - Mike Schatz can get these, ensuring you get the right items, as I think the NEW hoses carry the same part number as the old - it would be easy to end up with the old parts.
Old 08-24-2001, 04:28 PM
Konrad 996tt
Instructor

Pete,

Did your customers using the 630HP use any additional oil coolers or just upgraded ontercoolers?
Old 08-24-2001, 05:23 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks again, Mark. I appreciate your input.
Old 08-24-2001, 07:14 PM
Pete @ Andial
Intermediate

Originally posted by Konrad 993tt:
<STRONG>Pete,

Did your customers using the 630HP use any additional oil coolers or just upgraded ontercoolers?</STRONG>
Konrad,
All of our upgraded engines have the stock S oilcooler.The biggest improvement is our intercooler. Built with aircraft spec. cores. Even on a very hot (over 100 deg.)day and on boost for over one minute we were still within four deg. of ambient temperature. We do believe we have developed one of the best intercoolers. Size, fit and sealing against the rear lid is perfect.We even install new factory labels to make it look original.

Pete.
Old 08-24-2001, 10:38 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Pete,

I am still wondering about the ambient temperatures your cars have run at. Any data on outside temps of 105+?
Old 08-27-2001, 02:17 AM
Pete911air
Instructor

Originally posted by Mark D - 993TT CA:
<STRONG>Pete,

I am still wondering about the ambient temperatures your cars have run at. Any data on outside temps of 105+?</STRONG>
Mark,
If you are willing to pay for the testing
( $ 900.00 a day plus $ 2000.00 renting Willow ) we can do it again.

Pete.
Old 08-27-2001, 12:14 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Pete,

One of the things I admired about Andial was the willingness to share their technical knowledge with customers and potential customers. As a result, I have purchased thousands of dollars of parts and services from Andial. Additionally, I have sent 8-10 poeple to Andial who have made purchases from you. In this thread, I was simply trying to find out if you had run at the same outside temeratures that I saw.

Your response now makes it clear that you have, in fact done so, but will not share the information unless I pay you to generate it again. I guess your response pretty well sums up the new Andial attitude towards their customers. I find your on-line persona to be unhelpful, combative and mean spirited - just check over the posts on the current & earlier threads and your interchanges with Viken & others.

My car is set up almost exactly as Andial suggested (which is the same basic suggestions made by Steve Weiner and Mike Schatz). Some of the parts came from Andial and some from Schatz. I was especially amused by your inference that the higher running temperatures were caused by the Intercooler - I am running the Andial Intercooler.

You have transformed a paying customer who actively referred others to you, into someone who whould prefer to purchase anywhere besides Andial and will never again send a prospective customer your way.
Old 08-27-2001, 12:34 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mark,

You would not be alone in thinking this way about Pete, he is sinking Andial with each and every breath he takes. He is behaving like a great gob****e.
Old 08-27-2001, 12:48 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Mark,
From where I sit, it seems as if you need to calm down a bit also.
Pete did ask you some pertinent questions about your car and I don't think you answered him,(at least not publically). It looked like he was trying to help but my guess is he isn't going to pass out advice unless he has a handle on the complete package so he made the suggestion of a testing day (tongue in cheek is my guess).
He didn't specifically answer your question about 107 degrees vs 104 but he did write "Even on a very hot (over 100 deg.)day and on boost for over one minute we were still within four deg. of ambient temperature".

Peace,
Greg

Quick Reply: Limits of the Turbo S oil cooler