Sponsored by:

Flushing the power steering system--tip

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 09:10 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 21 Posts
Post Flushing the power steering system--tip

After ready the 30k service list below, I thought I'd add something that might be helpful for everyone. It seems like we have a lot of power steering rack failures, yet few people replace the ps fluid, much less flush it.

According to the shop manual, porsche no longer uses ATF as a fill, but rather a synthetic called pentosin CHF (green). Apparently ATF eventually deteriorates rubber seals. I found it at a place called adirondack car supply (?) for $15 ($25 elsewhere), and the guy had good advice on how to flush the system. I recently flushed mine, and the old fluid looked like burnt molasses!

To flush, drain the old fluid by undoing the lower hose on the reservoir. Put that hose back on, fill the reservoir, and undo the return hose. With the car running, have someone saw back and forth on the steering wheel (opposite lock best) to get the pump working. Continue filling the reservoir, while the old fluid drains from the return hose. Removing the air filter and cover will make the task easier, but to start the car, that has to be on (I guess it fools the air flow sensor otherwise). To do a full flush, you'll need a little under 2 containers of pentosin. Hope this helps!

David
Old 08-22-2001, 10:03 AM
Tom T.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by David Edwards:
<STRONG>

I found it at a place called adirondack car supply (?) for $15 ($25 elsewhere), and the guy had good advice on how to flush the system. </STRONG>
David,

Was the place you bought it from called Adirondack Auto Brokers www.germanautoparts.com ?

I buy a bunch of stuff from them. There prices are always very good.

Tom (not affiliated, etc.)
Old 08-22-2001, 09:16 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 21 Posts
Yes, that's the one. I found them by chance from searching the internet for the pentosin. I couldn't find it anywhere near me.

David

Quick Reply: Flushing the power steering system--tip