Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(off topic) Schumacher, Senna, Prost, Clark or ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2001, 02:05 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
Riccardo

Didn't Bellof win Le Mans once or twice in the 956 as well?

I probably should have mentioned Hurley Haywood as one of the possible candidates for best Porsche driver. I believe he has more 24 race victories than any one else.

It was a very different sport in the 60s and 70s. Look at where the buildings were at Zandvoort in the movie Grand Prix, and where buildings were at Le Mans.

I suppose Le Mans is safer with the two chicanes on the Mulsanne, but I miss reading those stories of 240 mph in the rain.

Mike in Chi (where all the roads are straights, and all have moving chicanes)
Old 08-22-2001, 02:55 PM
jes999
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry

Originally posted by Doc Vorce:
<STRONG>Far too many of Schumacher's victories have been direct consequences of pit strategies. He has regularly failed to meet the demands of strict competition on the track. He is not Senna's equal.</STRONG>
Are his 9 pole positions this year the result of "pit strategies"?

Give some credit where credit is due! He may not be the best of all time, but he is certainly the best of the current generation. Yes, he has driven for excellent (maybe even dominant) teams, but all of those poles and victories could not have been won without enormous talent and courage.
Old 08-22-2001, 04:05 PM
porker
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With all of the Canadians out there, haven't we forgotten someone????

I have seen many videos and pictures of this guy, he must be one of the most talented drivers of all time.

I have never known a guy so quick (even on 3 wheels) as Gilles Villeneuve. It's just a shame that he didn't manage to hang around long enough to become World Champion.

Mike
Old 08-22-2001, 09:16 PM
Fred 993C4S
Advanced

Sorry, got to the discussion late but I also think that Senna gets the crown. Schumacher is definetely a good driver, similar early background as Senna and most other truly great drivers starting on Karts, but Ferrari is dominating Formula 1 completely for at least the last 2 seasons if not longer and I think that Schumacher has benefited greatly from it, just look at the formula 1 season so far: We still have 4 races to go and Schumacher can already go on vacation cause nobody can take the championship away from him( I think he has 5 victories out of 9 races so far?), Barrichello who is not one of the greatest drivers ever is there in 2nd place on the championship also with his Ferrari and Ferrari also clinched the constructors championship with 4 races to go. Unfortunately I'm hoping that williams and Maclaren return to their former glory and give Ferrari a run for their money, than we'll see Ralph Schumacher, Montoya and others start to add some wins to their records. For now I enjoy watching the American LeMans series and UK GT championship races a lot better than Formula 1.

Sorry for the length of the post and I guess getting out of topic but I just Love to watch car races, My wife absolutely hates Speedvision!

Fred
Old 08-27-2001, 12:43 PM
Doc Vorce

Pole positions and race victories constitute two discrete categories for analysis. My remarks deal with Schumacher's race victories and not with his ability to secure a race's pole position.
Old 08-27-2001, 01:58 PM
Kostas Vassiliadis
Advanced

Unhappy

I am sorry to say, because I a mnot a fan of his, that Schumacher is the best of the rest.
Old 08-28-2001, 02:19 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

Believers into statistics:

There are to much and it is hard to find the "best" but i like to remeber on:

Niki Lauda
Manfred Winkelhook
Keke Rossberg
Jochen Rindt
James Clark
James Hunt
Clay Reggazoni.

Big guys in a Porsche:

Vic Elford
Walter Röhrl
Hans Herrmann
Z.A Duntov
Otto Mathe
H. Linge
E. Barth
R.Kussmaul
G.Hill
J.Surtess
S.Moss

Biggest looser in a Porsche:
Klaus Ludwig, at Le mans he didn´t stoped to fuel up the car in time and so he made the last turn with not enough fuel and had to make 2 kilometers using the starter and battery to keep the car rolling as it is not allowed to push the car in the race except you reach the gasoline alley ( Boxengasse ).

He became secound with some 1 minute behind the winner. ( I think it was the engine Callaway made for Jaguar ).

Greatest Porsche Drivers: Stefan Bellof, still fastest man on Nordschleife.
Hans Stuck, Marc Donahue

Just forgot a 6 time Le Mans winner:
Bob Wollek.

Grüsse

BTW this one is special for JD, he will know why.

Quick Reply: (off topic) Schumacher, Senna, Prost, Clark or ????