993 vs Audi TT quattro

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 10:16 AM
red targa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post 993 vs Audi TT quattro

Read the post about 4S vs 4C.

Last month, on a very early morning, a friend and I drove together to go golfing. He had his Audi TT Quattro (6 speed) chipped up to around 235 HP (he claimed). I did not notice any handicap on flat out acceleration from 0 to 100 km/hr, except due to my Tiptronics around 2nd gear . Despite lacking two gears, I could easily keep up with him (didn't want to pass him, because he had the radar detector, I didn't).

On the mountainous curvy roads, I went first, and found him having a hard time to keep up. The TT was understeering a lot, whereas I was having a great time powering out of the corner. Unfortunately, I found that due to limited 4 speed on the Tiptronics, the engine was lacking power around 2500-3000 rpm (I didn't want to shift into 1st gear).

Both of us haven't been thru DE's (have to do that, next time I go to the States), so both of us weren't even come close to pushing the cars to their limits.

But I am sure the 993 would definitely out-perform the TT if it had manual 6 speed transmission.

Afterwards, I drove his TT, and found the 6 speed + the chipped Turbo engine offered plenty of passing power, though I was not so impressed by the stability at high speed (over 190 km/hr).

Unfortunately, my enthusiastic driving resulted in 3 speeding tickets this month!

By the way, anyone ever participated in any DE's with 4 speed Tiptronis, maybe some suggestions on spirited driving with Tiptronics.
Old 12-04-2001, 01:05 AM
JamesC
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We currently have a modified TT quattro roadster, modified (ECU) to 254/262, H&R along with the original suspension (pre-oversteer rollover craze in the EU), tires, brakes, etc. My wife loves her car for the 99% of the driving it does below 7/10ths but once you start really pushing it all goes mushy. Audi and Haldex had a great opportunity with this car and such an advanced AWD system, why they biased it so poorly will remain a mystery. At least Volvo will redeam the HALDEX ideal and set it up correctly. The speed, control, shift action and steering weight are my favorite of modern Audi's but it still lacks soul. We're now taking our time looking for the car I wish we had gotten...

Here they are on the ALMS infield at Texas Motor Speedway (pre-H&R)
Old 12-04-2001, 10:49 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by JamesC:
<STRONG>We're now taking our time looking for the car I wish we had gotten...
</STRONG>
You've got a TT Quattro, a WRX, and you're looking for the car you wish you'd gotten? Dang. I love my Carrera 4S, but I was thinking that the WRX would be a really fun car to... uh, mess around with. Bad AWD bias on that one too?
Old 12-04-2001, 07:53 PM
JamesC
AutoX

We won't be replacing the WRX any time soon, sorry I wasn't clear I should have said "..the car we should have gotten instead of the TTRQ". But don't let my wife see this!
Here's a recent pic of the WRX

We're extremely happy with it...here's Dawn/wife at the last RallyX

I look forward to when I can post some action shots of our Porsche!

Quick Reply: 993 vs Audi TT quattro