Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 04:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Battery Maintainer for ROW cars - Help

Hi Guys,

I have done a full search.

I have the latest battery maintainer form Porsche (thanks Gert). This is the second one I have owned (long story).

Neither product works through the cigarette lighter (the lights dont come on properly). Im starting to believe that US cars are different than ROW cars as our cigarette lighters are not "Live" in the ignition "off" poistion, hence the trickle charger will not operate....

Am I right or am I going mad? I have checked threads - US people have no issue - one UK person confirmed my findings. This has happened with both the old and the super duper new porsche unit I have checked. Please help and if possible suggest a remedy (other than direct battery attachement - Im doing that now but its not as convienient...).

Thanks kindly

Macca the Kiwi
Old 10-13-2004, 04:56 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

The cigarette lighter is always connected to +12V.
Are you sure that the fuse of your cigarette lighter plug is OK ?
Check Fuse 7.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:24 AM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Porsche Battery Maintainer

I have used the battery maintainers sold by Porsche for a few years and have found two issues with them. First, two of the three units I have owned have failed within the first six months for no apparent reason. In both cases the red light never lit. Second, the piece that is inserted into the lighter socket sometimes will not properly seat and the result again, is that no charging occurs and the light is out. While I like the convenience of plugging it into the lighter socket, the quality of these units is very poor. I would not buy another one, I suppose I would hardwire a Battery Tender.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:31 AM
perrys7342
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Porsche Battery Maintainer for the 993, but the far superior product is the Battery Manager Junior II from Griot's Garage (www.griotsgarage.com) Part Number 36804 which sells for $39.99.

As indicated, the Porsche Battery Maintainer easily loses ground in the cigarette lighter plug and give no info on whether it is charging or maintaining if it's fails or is not grounded. The Battery Manager Junior II has lights indicating charging or maintaining cycle and is comes with two different (alligator or snap) adapters. I used it on my Miata and the wire lead was flat enough that it would allow the trunk rubber seal to close without problem. It does not have the output of their larger Battery Manager II ($59.95) but is more compact.

Perry
Old 10-13-2004, 02:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you all for your feedback. ISteve - I upgraded to the newest Porsche maintainer which has a whole load of extra functionality and lights (twice the price) as I was not convinced as to the quality of the basic unit.

I guess the short question is - can US/LHD 993 owners use their cigarette lighter when the ignition is off? The plug being live is my biggest issue as the one in my car does not seem to be until the ignition is on?

Thanks again
Old 10-13-2004, 02:50 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

I remember reading (somewhere, maybe a UK-based forum) that there was a simple modification that could be done to render your lighter "live" without the key being on, which is how the North American cars work. Otherwise, the maintainer doesn't have a direct path to the battery and therefore doesn't work. Sorry, I can't remember the source. I suspect a call to your favourite Porsche mechanic should settle it.

Last edited by DarrylH; 10-13-2004 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:43 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I also use the charger from Griot's Garage. It works great

Quick Reply: Battery Maintainer for ROW cars - Help