Sponsored by:

Recaro Speed Seat

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 11:50 AM
DJD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recaro Speed Seat

I am looking at this seat for my 97 C2S. Does anyone have this seat? I unnderstand its a tight fit and the tilt adjut **** has to be removed on the tunnel side in order to fit. Also I am on the thinner side 6' 175lbs, so I am hoping this seat is not like the stock seat that I slide all around in.

Thanks guys!!

Doug
Old 10-12-2004, 12:18 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Doug,
I just tried the Sport seat and thought it was ok but a little on the small side for me (6'2" 245 pounds). The Speed was not in the shop at the time but is almost the same seat except for: 1) higher thigh bolsters and 2) a slot for a 5 point harness. I would definitely look to purchase the Speed if it came in a larger size. It would probably be perfect for your dimensions. I don't think you will have an issue with sliding. It is a high quality seat and very comfortable. I am not sure about the removal of the **** to fit it in the car.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:59 PM
TonyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJD
I am looking at this seat for my 97 C2S. Does anyone have this seat? I unnderstand its a tight fit and the tilt adjut **** has to be removed on the tunnel side in order to fit. Also I am on the thinner side 6' 175lbs, so I am hoping this seat is not like the stock seat that I slide all around in.

Thanks guys!!

Doug
Doug,
I have had a Recaro SRD seat before and loved it. I'm 6' 190lb and did not find it tight. Get the cloth covering and it will keep you from sliding around unlike the OEM leather. Even though it has higher seat-bottom bolsters, it provided better support and comfort than the OEM seat. The OEM seat-bottom bolster digs into my thighs and makes my driver's side leg go numb on long drives, which was not the case for the SRD. I have not tried the Speed yet but it is very similar. I was also able to get some more headroom with the SRD as well. I did have to remove the back angle adjuster **** in order to get the seat to slide all the way back. This was an annoyance because the seat back would gradually creap backwards, so I ended up carrying a small wrench to move it forward occasionally (i.e. the seat back angle adjuster is kept in place by friction on ****). Sparco also makes a similar seat and you should try that one.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:03 PM
DJD
Instructor

Tony, if I understand your post, you had to remove the outter adjustment **** ( one on the door side) I was told by the supplier that the inside **** had to come off, but if I have to remove both, thats not too cool.

Doug
Old 10-12-2004, 01:23 PM
TonyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJD
Tony, if I understand your post, you had to remove the outter adjustment **** ( one on the door side) I was told by the supplier that the inside **** had to come off, but if I have to remove both, thats not too cool.

Doug
Yes, that is correct: I removed the outside **** and the inside **** was gone already. That is why I had to carry the open ended wrench. If you don't need to push the seat all the way back, the outside **** can stay on. It's because the 993 shell curves inward towards the rear seat (wheel well really).
Old 10-12-2004, 03:15 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DJD

Doug
Doug - I removed the inside ****, and cut off almost an inch of the rod the sticks out in order to clear the tunnel. Once this was done, the Speed fit fine even when all the way back. The outer adjustment **** does not need to be removed and still works fine although when the seat is all the way back, it is a little tough to adjust....
Old 10-12-2004, 09:19 PM
DJD
Instructor

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice guys. This site is really great!! Seat is on order and now all I need to do is install it.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Ron Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the Speed in my C2S. I like the seat. I am 6' and weight about 200# and the fit is fine. I had to remove the inside adjuster **** and have to move up the seat a little to use the outer **** for tilt adjustment.

You might want to get the seat rails that elevate the seat. I used the low comp rails and I was too low in the car. I bought the seats and seat rails at PAR.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:20 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

while looking around for different seats I came across a special on Speeds. www.AZautosportdirect.com has them for $499 in their closeout section. I don't know anything about the reseller but it may be worth a look.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:01 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Alex - That is the 4 point model which is not as popular as the 5 point. The 5 point is also more $$$.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:49 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Thanks VB
Old 10-14-2004, 07:42 PM
Craig W.
Instructor

I've been researching seats for our cars for 2 years. I've concluded that the Recaro Speed is the best if you want a 5 point harness.

I sure wish Sparco would make their seats with a sub belt slot. I prefer the look of their seats in general.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:23 AM
JPL 993-C4S
Instructor

A few questions:

Does the Recaro Speed take a 6 point harness (would you just put the 2-point subbelt through the subbelt hole)?

Would it be comfortable for someone who is 6'2" and 195 pounds?

How much extra headroom would it give me? 1 inch? 2 inches? My stock seats are fine without a helmet, but very tight with a helmet.

Does the Speed seat tilt forward? (I need access to the back seats for luggage, groceries, and whatever, but no people go back there as I has a DAS rollbar).

Does the Speed come in an all-black color scheme?

What other seats would be good for me to consider, given the issues raised above?
Old 01-29-2005, 12:47 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

JPL 993-C4S:

1.) Yes, you thread both leads off the sub belt through the one slot in the seat. Make sure you order the 5 point variant to give you the "slot"

2.) Comfort is subjective. Most folks (other than my wife) prefer my "speeds" over the factory comfort seat. The speed is not as "butt" latching as a Pole Position or GT3 seat, but it's darn good for a seat that tilts forward.

3.) Using a low profile seat rail ( I had to fab a mount for the stock seat belt receiver), I got 1 1/2 inches lower than the factory seat, all the way down.

4.) Yes the Speed tilts forward. This is a must for me as I carry my son in the back. Also, the only good luggage area for multi day trips is the back shelf...

5.) There are at least 2 all black variants. If you do a "Google" search for "Recaro" and "Speed" you should find several sites with good photos of the various color / fabric choices.

6.) Other, similar seats are Sparco Milano, Cobra Misano and I believe that Konig and Corbeau also offer tilting sport seats. Here again, "Google" will prove useful...

Hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:26 PM
JPL 993-C4S
Instructor

I am confused now, because the cobraseats.com representative says that his Cobra Misano R seat is designed to work properly with a 6-point harness, though it does not have a subbelt slot... here is his email message from this afternoon:
The dual sub belts are meant to go in the cam lock, and go down and wrap around your inner thighs and come out from the side, under your legs and share the same mount as the lap belt.

Only when you have a 5 point, ( single sub ) you run it through the single hole in the*seat base.

Bottom line, you can use either 4 point or 6 point belts with the Misano seat. ( To answer your question, No the Misano seat, does not have a 5th hole in the base. ) But then again, Its not needed for a dual sub.

Thank you.*

Andreas Cardini** andreas@subesports.com
Does this sound correct? I always thought that the 2 sub-belt straps on a 6-point harness were meant to go through a subbelt slot.

Quick Reply: Recaro Speed Seat