Old 12-01-2001, 01:57 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts
Post OT: best palm pilot for wife?

I know this is OT, but I thought that I would ask people that are into "high tech" stuff like myself.

What palm pilot is best/popular to buy? My wife wants/needs one for Christmas.

Price is not that much of an issue. She is a special person, one that puts up with my automotive obsessions......

Thanks,

Chris
Old 12-01-2001, 02:31 AM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a Palm Vx, which a year or two ago was their best model. The Palm VII had internet capabilities, but it was slow and the form factor was more bulky than the Vx. I'm not sure today, but you can check cnet.com or epinions.com for up-to-date advice.

I switched to a RIM Blackberry. Does just about everything the Palm did (contacts, scheduling) but also alows me to receive and send email (text messages only...no attachments). Can't beat it.
Old 12-01-2001, 10:18 AM
Curtis - '97 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used several different Palms as well as the small HP Jornada's and iPaqs. Right now, the best for me is the Blackberry.

If what your wife wants is a mobile desktop (email, calendar, contacts, tasks, etc.) and she uses either Lotus Notes or MS Exchange on her desktop, then you can't beat the Blackberry. Great, reliable built-in wireless that pushes email to the device and the best battery life of any wireless device ever.

It is the only device I carry now.
Old 12-01-2001, 10:47 AM
JamesC
AutoX

Yet another core-value opinionated subject

My wife and I have used Compaq ipaq's since they were released. There were a few early bugs but I couldn't be happier with "Pocket PC". As was mentioned, pay attention to what other applications your wife uses on a daily basis and try for the best fit. We're both in the MS Office environment so Pocket PC was a good fit. The 3rd party development on both hardware and software has been quite good and most things she might look for, even as a power user, are available for the taking. Unlike previous versions she even has easy access to develop things herself, were she so inclined.

A few good Pocket PC sites to poke around in:

Pocket PC Forum
Handango - has ALL sorts of mobile stuff
Pocket Gear - tons of software
Pocket Now - news and reviews
"pdabuzz - PDA / Handheld PC news"
Windows CE vs Palm comparo

Hope that helps. Feel free to email me jcorell@cisco.com if you have any specific questions on Pocket PC.
Old 12-01-2001, 07:39 PM
VICODIN993S
Track Day

Funny you should mention it...I'm in the market for mine for Xmas. I saw a blurb on tv where you could get one that supports a digital cam and gps. Great for the kid's @ school etc. and GPS for rallies. Anyone know if which one that might be or do they all do that?
Old 12-01-2001, 08:29 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris,

I've owned three Palms, including my current Vx, which I love.

However, if I were in the market, I might consider the RIM Blackberry for reasons mentioned above, or the Sony Clie - nicer screen, memory expansion capabilities.

Have you considered the newer "fusion" products entering the market, which combine cellular telephone, Palm style PDA, and pager capabilities into one platform? IMO, this is the future of PDAs. Current possibilities include the Kyocera/Palm Smartphone QCP 6035 and the upcoming Handspring Treo communicator.

Your wife will wonder how she ever got by without a PDA!
Old 12-01-2001, 09:53 PM
Dave Crellin
Racer

I used and loved a Handspring (Palm clone) for ages, but have now shifted to the Compaq iPaq pocket PC. Much better than Palm to use.
Old 12-02-2001, 10:15 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Few months ago, I gave my 'ol Vx to my wife when I got the RIM Blackberry because it seemed it was all she needed. Now getting her a Blackberry too. To us, it has more advanced functions, the remote business Lotus Notes e-mail is great when I am on the road. Less of a need to keep powering up laptop to read and send mail.

Palm is very good, but found the Blackberry more reliable and productive for my needs. Key is your own personal needs. If it is just calendaring and phone directory than just about anything should be ok.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2001, 11:12 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow, this really is off topic!

Palm: best focus on doing the core 'day timer' sort of functions, the simplest, easiest way. Interface (with stylus) easier to work with than the jog dial of Blackberry. If your wife just wants calendar/contacts/tasks/notes, Palm *is* best.

PocketPC (Windows): more powerful/extensible, but if her needs don't extend beyond the core functions above, is more $$$, more bulk, more complex/busy interface. I know of one such 'wife purchase' where the PocketPC went unused because of issues like this.

Blackberry: the best wireless email around, bar none. Wonderful architecture. Does require ~$40/month ongoing cost for that service, though. Also jog dial interface is less simple/direct/'paper-like' than the Palm.

If money's not an object, I'd look at a) the Palm, and b) the Handspring Visor series - their latest releases are really thin, very nice.

Me, I bought my wife a getting-discontinued Palm Vx for about $180; she's thrilled with it, wasn't going to be comfortable on a $400 gizmo, this was just right for her AND my wallet
Old 12-02-2001, 11:44 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts
Just want to say thanks for all the help you people have given this very off topic thread.

Now if I can find a deal on a 993, I can ask legitimate (spelling?) question's

Chris
Old 12-03-2001, 01:54 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

You might check into the new Sprint PCS/Samsung I300 (?). It's Palm based PDA integrated with Sprint phone. My girlfriend just got one last week and it's really slick! Little thinner than a Palm V but slightly longer. Fits in your hand nicely. Nice color screen, easy to read. I tried to find fault with it when she got it, now I want one.....
Old 12-03-2001, 02:20 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Scott, Scott, how could you do this to me?
http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/Ph...%3EATR_SCID=EC OMM&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_PCode=None&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_cartState=gro up&bmUID=1007403494091

sweet... I want one, too!!
Old 12-04-2001, 09:43 AM
Gibo993
Intermediate

Cool

Has to be the Palm 505, Has SD card expansion, Will soon enable GPS, MP3 player, Camera, but at present is good for Memory expansion etc.
Pocket PC trying to fit too much on screen and on unit, Comes with more utils but you will only use 40 %
Buy a Palm then load the utils you want.

12000 available for the PAlm OS
2500 for the Pocket PC

Pocket PC's big expensive and battery lasts hours not weeks.

Palm, Small, sleek, battery lasts for days and the simplest to use.
WEB and Mail simple to set up what more do you need !!!!

Palm Palm Palm Palm Palm.

Quick Reply: OT: best palm pilot for wife?