Question on Manual Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 10:24 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Question on Manual Transmission Fluid

I ask this question because of the difficulties that Robin found when trying to find the perfect manual transmission fluid for his 993: http://p-car.com/diy/transmissionfluid/transfluid.htm , see "Important fluid information update May, 2000". Apparently, he has tried combinations of Red Line, Mobil 1 synthetic, and Swepco in his attempt to get a smooth shifting action - particularly at lower ambient temperatures.
http://www.germanautoparts.com/ sells the following product, and I was hoping to get comments from other Rennlisters who may have used it:

***Lubro-Moly MoS2 Gear Oil: A fully synthetic gear oil with MoS2 solids for quieter operation and smoother shifting. It's viscosity remains constant over a broad temperature range and it offers outstanding protection from wear and corrosion. Recommended for manual transmissions, transaxles, and real axles where a GL5 fluid is specified. NOT recommended for applications calling for GL4 fluid. 1 liter bottle $9.20

They also sell the following product, which sounds useful (though I'm usually a skeptic about these "additive" products):

***Lubro-Moly MoS2 Anti-Friction For Gears: This molybdenum-sulfide rich additive is ideal for manual transmissions, differentials, transfer cases and steering boxes. Add a tube to your gear oil to significantly reduce friction, lowering both gear and bearing wear as well as operating temperatures. It can help reduce whine and ease shifting in older gearboxes as well. 50 gram tube. $4.99

Robin, could this be the "Holy Grail"?

Old 08-13-2001, 10:45 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Owner's manual strongly suggest against using additives in our p-car transmission.
Old 08-14-2001, 05:54 AM
JDW
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anir, next time we go to Brian's shop ask him what he used in my car. It completely resolved my problem. He told me just before we left that it is derived from Sperm WHALE OIL. He swore he wasn't pulling my leg. Has anyone out there ever heard of that or is Brian jerking me around. What ever it is it works! He only gets it on occasion from Porsche though. Reply Greg if you remember what it is or if you put him up to it just to make me look like an ***.
Old 08-14-2001, 09:21 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
The oil was out of a brand new tranny for a 996 GT3R. I don't know what to think of what Brian said. I promise I didn't tell him to say that, I will see him on Friday and ask him. You know me I am not smart enough to make up a story like that!
Greg
Old 08-14-2001, 10:04 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by Greg Fishman:
<STRONG>The oil was out of a brand new tranny for a 996 GT3R</STRONG>
Then I think it's Mobil 1 80/90
Old 08-14-2001, 08:17 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wink

JDW: it is derived from Sperm WHALE OIL
Only the best "lube" for our p-cars, baby!

Maybe, the secret lubrication weapon was actually some jelly out of our day-old Krispy Kremes!

Has anyone checked to see if Brian still wants to go to Indy?
Old 08-15-2001, 01:32 AM
tchanson
Racer

Arrow

JDW,
I think that the whale oil bit may have some degree of validity, although I have no idea how/where your wrench would have obtained it.

Purely Anectodal Example:
When I was a kid, my dad had a series of mid '60's Corvettes. After long stretches of straight line speed on the Interstate, the differential would occasionally make a horrendous clunk, after slowing and turning at the end of an exit ramp. I recall him at the time bemoaning the fact that he could no longer obtain the gear lube additive he used to get that would stop the noise, due to government restrictions on the use of whale oil. And that was 30 years ago...so who knows, maybe there is some extremely limited black market in this stuff.
Never thought of or heard of it being used in a long time...
Tim
Old 08-15-2001, 02:28 AM
larbaby2th
Advanced

Astroglide
Old 08-15-2001, 04:33 PM
JDW
Intermediate

The oil is from Germany(don't ask me to pronounce it or type it)and not available in the states. Getrag uses this oil in the new GT3R gearboxes. Mine was drained out of a new box. HE uses Mobil 1 most of the time and that is what Porsche recommends also. Last thread in this post for fear of legal reprisals or tree huggers chaining themselves to my car.
Old 08-15-2001, 04:47 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
JDW,
If you aren't nice I will give them your home address
Whale killer!

Quick Reply: Question on Manual Transmission Fluid