Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Speedvision news just released, sit down

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 06:23 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This debate sounds just like another one that pops up around here from time to time.

NASCAR doesnt have to buy a channel if Fox is willing to do it for them. Taht way everyone wins. (in terms of cash)

E. J.
Old 11-30-2001, 07:44 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brian,
Yep, F1 coverage remains to be seen. I won't be satisfied until the lights go out (for the starting grid).

You mention CART. What's CART?

Actually, they mentioned having Bob Varsha and David Hobbes cover CART races. If that happens, they might be a tad, just a tad, more entertaining to watch.

Sorry, I can't stand the current CART team.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:36 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Tom,

I agree I have not really watched CART since the feud that resulted in the IRL. Which by the way I have never watched an IRL race. Give me my technology, politics, fuel load strategy and tires wars

Hopefully we will not have to borrow the MTV slogan from the early 80's and modify it. I want my F1!
Old 12-01-2001, 10:34 AM
JamesC
AutoX

Here is a bit more information.

--------------------------------
Found this on another forum, I'll post the letter he sent in first (VERY well written IMHO) then his report on his preceding discussion w/the president of SpeedVision. We'll see how this pans out....

"To whom it may concern:

I am deeply saddened to see the Speedvision/Speed Channel abandon its dedicated fans and enthusiasts. Months ago, rumors began to circulate that Speedvision would be relaunched as the "Nascar Channel". This prompted an unprecedented uproar among the legions of devoted fans of your network. I myself participated in many of the organized petitions to maintain Speedvision's diverse and global program lineup. We were told that the change would be minor, a "New Name, Same Channel" approach. We were told that Nascar would be expanded, but not in any way that would disrupt the already diverse lineup. I for one found this news to be quite satisfactory. As long as F1, FIA Rally, Speedvision GT, Sportscar, ALMS, Valvoline Run-Offs, etc would still be shown then everything would be fine. We were even told that the quality shows such as Lap of the Gods, Legends of Motorsports, Motor Vision, Motorsport Mundial, Car and Track, My Classic Car, Victory Lane, Winners, etc. would all remain. I was quite happy with the choice to expand the lineup to feature Nascar. Although I myself find it boring, antiquated and not interesting, no 24-hour automotive channel would be complete without the spectacle that has become Nascar. However, with great dismay I logged on to Speedvision this morning to be greeted with the headline:

Speed Channel Set to Launch 'Nascar TV'

Well, this will turn out to be a new channel or a new program, I thought. As I read the accompanying article, I was horrified. There were no intentions of keeping the current programming next year. We were indeed going to lose the only diverse and global automotive/motorsport channel on television. I especially like the following quote from your article:

Come February, NASCAR TV will air between 3:00 p.m. and Midnight ET on weekday afternoons and evenings....."It's fair to say that from this point forward, that due to its amazing popularity, NASCAR programming will drive the SPEED Channel," said SPEED Channel president Jim Liberatore.

Well, I think its fair to say that this is a slap in the face of all of the thousands of fans that supported Speedvision when it was a fledgling network with a limited lineup. Its a slap in the face to the Millions of fans whom have made Speedvision their home, and fought to keep it true to its original roots.....a "24-hour cable Network devoted to the millions of people who love cars, boats, airplanes and motorcycles. A Network dedicated to everyone who shares a passion for speed and the lifestyle that goes with it." Those are words from your mission statement on your own website. Nine consecutive hours of Nascar is what you people consider diverse programming for "everyone who shares a passion for speed and the lifestyle that goes with it" ? Its nice to know that the programming we have come to know and love will be available for us to view after midnight or during the day. Perhaps my employer (Ford Motor Company) will be kind enough to re-arrange my work day so that I may have a fleeing chance at catching FIA Rally at 4am, or Legends of Motorsports at noon. or when ever you decide to show them.

With a career in the automotive industry, I understand that the bottom line of any business venture is to make money. However, both myself and my employer seem to recognize something that the executives at Fox/Speedvision do not seem to grasp : Without satisfying the customer, there is no money to be made, and alienating the very customers that make your business strong can be catastrophic for any business venture. After speaking with many of my coworkers and reading many of the discussions taking place on internet sites related to Automotive Enthusiasts, it has become very clear to me that your organization is concerned only about its bottom line....customers/viewers/fans be damned. Hopefully, the true enthusiasts that once helped Speedvision rise to popularity will help drive another Grassroots Enthusiast television network. I just hope that the next one will be loyal to its fan base and not lose sight of its history and origin. Today is truly a sad day for automotive enthusiasts.

Bitterly and Sincerely,

Todd Aston"

And here is a later followup post....

"Well, the president of Speedvision (Jim Liberatore) replied to my email and asked me to call him directly. I did and we spoke at lenght for about 15 minutes or so. The basics are as follows:
1) Speedvision viewership and demand began to level off. As a result, many of the larger cable systems began pushing SV off of their analog systems and on to their digital premium packages. The deal with NASCAR was done in an effort to promote the growth of the channel by bringing the 75million NASCAR fans to the network. Such a demand would force the hand of the cable systems to bring SPeedvision back to the forefront of the analog systems.

2) The press release that aired today was intentionally vague in an attempt to draw NASCAR fans to the channel. There will not be 9 hours of NASCAR programming everyday. There WILL be NASCAR programing between 3pm and midnight. (Quite a distinction, but done intentionally to draw the attention of NASCAR fans everywhere.) There are no plans for more than 6 hours of NASCAR during any day, and much less than 6 on most days.

3) Speedvision/Speed CHannel will still be the home of : F1, FIA WRC, ALMS, CART, Run-Offs, AMA Superbike, etc. All current race series will be present, and many such as World Rally will be expanding!

4) Much of the aircraft/boat programming will be removed in favor of the expanded NASCAR , Rally, CART type programming.

In all, there are changes comming, but not as drastic or bad as many of us feared. Jim Liberatore was very intersted in what the core audience wants. He understands that without the current enthusiast fanbase, the network hasn't a leg to stand on. However, he also understands that without the gain of the NASCAR fanbase....there isn't any room to grow the station either. He was a very nice gentleman who I must say is passionate about motorsports, specifically the global series that we all love. Hope this helps calm some of the waters.

-Todd "

---------------------------------------
Old 12-01-2001, 11:04 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts
James C

That's more encouraging. Thanks for posting it.

I've spent my entire working career in advertising. What Liberatore is saying makes sense, and is at the heart of the challenge every media concern faces.

Speed vision has plateaued.

So how do you expand your business while holding on to your core audience, let alone alienating them?

Ironically, the same holds true for PAG, with the Cayenne.

Maybe in both cases we should see the product before we condemn it.

MHO

M in C
Old 12-04-2001, 06:50 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Just saw this in a paper:

"George Pyne and Paul Brooks, executives at sanctioning body NASCAR, will lend expertise to the network.

"We don't think it can be just NASCAR 24 hours a day out of the gate," Brooks says. "It will have some other racing elements. That's probably the right mix to get us started."

Great huh when the NASCAR Brass is talking about having some other racing.

E. J.
Old 12-04-2001, 07:24 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Did anyone watch the F1 year in review last night on speedvision? Listening to Sam Posey and David Hobbs talk at the end it seemed like F1 coverage was done. They kept talking about greatest momments in the 8 years of coverage they had done and how it was great to work with everyone. Varsha chimed in at the end to say they were still trying to negotiate for next year and that things were not final yet. But you couldn't help but get a sense that it would not be covered the same again.
Old 12-05-2001, 12:08 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
NASCAR is to motorsports as Pro Wrestling is to fitness sports. They should leave Speedvision alone and start a new channel just for Nascar and Pro Wrestling. The NASLING channel,
Old 12-08-2001, 03:01 AM
JamesC
AutoX

This just out on Autosport:

Hmm, Murdoch -> Kirch -> Fox -> Speedvision -> Speedchannel and ?? US F1 coverage?

------------------------------------------------
Murdoch eyes up Kirch group

Media magnate could own stake in Formula 1

Murdoch: F1 in mind?

Media magnate Rupert Murdoch is believed to be sizing up the German media company Kirch Group, which owns a large stake in the commercial and broadcasting rights to the Formula 1 World Championship, for a possible takeover.

Kirch is Germany's biggest pay TV provider and currently owns 58 per cent of F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone's holding company SLEC with an option to buy a further 16.5 percent from fellow German media company EMTV.

However, Murdoch, who owns media giant News Corporation and British pay TV network Sky, is believed to be interested in using an option on Kirch's pay TV business to take control of the company.

"Rupert has really got the hots for the whole of Kirch right now," an insider told British newspaper the Financial Times.

Kirch's controlling stake in F1 has been instrumental in the formation of a company GPWC, set up by five of the manufacturers involved in grand prix racing, to run a rival series to the world championship.

The manfacturers, namely Fiat (Ferrari), Renault, BMW, Ford (Jaguar) and Mercedes-Benz are unhappy with an outside party having a controlling stake in the sport and want a bigger stake in the revenue generated by the sale of television rights.

Should Murdoch take control of Kirch, he would become one the most powerful man in broadcasting in Europe. The move is an about face by the Australian-born media mogul, who was reported as trying to sell the 22 percent stake in Kirch, which he already owns, last month. The deal is not expected to take shape until late next year.
------------------------

JamesC

Quick Reply: OT: Speedvision news just released, sit down