Sponsored by:

OT: Speedvision news just released, sit down

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 08:05 PM
JamesC
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down OT: Speedvision news just released, sit down

I'm a new lurker on the list while we search for our dream C4S. Thought you all might be interested in this news released today:

Bad News

JamesC
Dallas TX
WRX
TTRQ
E30M3
ISO 993 C4S
Old 11-29-2001, 11:28 PM
JamesC
AutoX

Yea, I actually believed "no significant programming changes would be made" mantra over the last several months. We're palpably angry over this...

James
Old 11-30-2001, 12:36 AM
neunelf
Racer

"It's fair to say that from this point forward, that due to its amazing popularity, NASCAR programming will drive the SPEED Channel,"

I think I am gonna puke.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:02 AM
brandon
Instructor

Will I still be able to set the VCR to record the road racing & other events at 3 in the morning, or will they just disappear altogether I wonder? Score one for the beer & cigarette crowd (Winston/Busch) - I suppose they could only be happier if instead of the Olympics we substituted WWF coverage.
Old 11-30-2001, 08:54 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry

Sorry for being too stupid for believeing this, but does this rally mean that there will be only NASCAR, every day from 3 to 12 ?!

Whatta F is wrong with those people!?
Old 11-30-2001, 09:33 AM
JamesC
AutoX

I broke the news to my wife when she got home yesterday afternoon. She proptly called them up and "laid it out" on some poor programming person. Then she drafted the following:

--------------------------------
programming@speedvision.com

What happened to all of the promises the you wouldn't abandon your fans? I read your announcement regarding your new NASCAR TV program with disbelief. I can watch NASCAR on the network channels. I watch SpeedVision to see coverage of Formula 1, Rally, BTCC, LeMans, and Motorcycle racing. I am among the fans that stay up for 24 hours to watch the coverage of the 24 Hours of LeMans. I get up at 5:00a on Saturday and Sunday to watch the Formula 1 coverage.

After watching your commercials with Derek Daily, Sam Posey, and other sports-car greats, I actually believed that SpeedVision would hold true to the sentiments being expressed. Apparently I was wrong.

So, could someone please explain to me how 9 hours of NASCAR programming during prime viewing times holds in keeping with this promise? I really am quite curious.

If/when this becomes a reality, I will promptly cancel my cable subscription package containing your program. I will be sure to inform my cable provider as to the reason for my cancellation along with as many of your advertisers as I can contact.

I would rather go to the trouble of ordering "Year in Review" videos from EWA than to support the programming you are proposing.

Is there any hope that I have misunderstood the channel's intentions? Or is there really only NASCAR to see every night???

Regards,
Dawn Corell
---------------------------

She was pretty angry all night.

I suggest we all send something to:
programming@speedvision.com and express our displeasure.

JamesC
Old 11-30-2001, 10:07 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Please send e-mails to show our displeasure with this change. I am really beginning to HATE Nascar.
Old 11-30-2001, 11:38 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
For F1 fans and to add the depression read this: http://www.speedvision.com/pub/artic...1/011129b.html

It all sounds so final.

I did email Speedvision, voicing a concern over dominating prime time with NASCAR, and informed them I would seek F1 and sports car racing through other sources.
Old 11-30-2001, 11:50 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by JamesC:
<STRONG>I broke the news to my wife when she got home yesterday afternoon. She proptly called them up and "laid it out" on some poor programming person. Then she drafted the following:</STRONG>
Sounds like a keeper James (and I'm not talking about Speedvision.)

Let us know what response she gets.

E. J.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:00 PM
JamesC
AutoX

Thanks,

I agree. We won't discuss who has more fun/better times at Sebring or Roebling... It was just because I didn't have enough chances before moving out to TX, yea that's it.

As for Speedvision, she's now emailed every major Speedvision advertiser asking them what they think about the conversion. Words like: "Perhaps you should change the name of your magazine from Racer to Nascar Racer" and "Just how much NASCAR technique does Skip Barber teach anyway"?

With the above news on F1 and what someone sent my wife: "".. . I talked to a friend of mine that works for Speedvision/Speed Channel . .. .He just told me that I should NOT expect to see Formula 1 on the Speed Channel next season. He said the reason is a $$$ issue.""

I was all set to send out a barrage when she just swoops in and starts kicking $#@.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:47 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bet:
For F1 fans and to add the depression read this: http://www.speedvision.com/pub/artic...1/011129b.html
Brian,
The very end of that article has this:

Speedvision’s new management is extremely keen to continue their Grand Prix programming and the company remains in negotiations to retain the rights to Formula 1.

Of course, whether they actually get F1 or not remains to be seen. They didn’t secure the 2001 contract until moments before the season started. As long as they have F1, I don’t care what they do with the rest of their airtime.

I find it amazing that the FIA is not keener on getting on American TV. There’s got to be lots of advertisers that want to reach this market!

Tom
Old 11-30-2001, 02:53 PM
JamesC
AutoX

CEO Jim (NASCAR) Liberatore responds
HERE
Old 11-30-2001, 04:25 PM
Dave Crellin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The CEO's response is totally predictable and in line with reality - he and others get paid on growth, more than return these days, and we consumers are just statistics. Stats to the cable providers and hence to the providers. Advertisers pay for eyeballs and demographics, so expect they type of commercials to change too.

The money will always determine the layout of the schedules and content, and I guess we're just in the minority vs the great unwashed NASCAR crowd.

I'll still vote with my cable subscription. But I wish I could simply unsubscribe to just SpeedVision, and not suffer other things.
Old 11-30-2001, 06:09 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Tom,

I agree with you in that my biggest concern is F1. I know at the end of the article it was indicated they wanted to keep F1; however, however I wonder if they really mean that. Obviously from the letter to viewers the growth of the channel is the most important thing. Well lets face there are more NASCAR fans that F1 fans in the US and generally NASCAR fans do not appreciate the nuances of F1 racing.

I am not sure the new managements attitude is going to go well with Bernie, and F1 fans know,what Bernie wants, he gets. Fall in disfavor with Bernie and you can kiss coverage good-bye. Bernie is also about $$$ and I am not sure the new management will cough up the $$$ needed.

That is one good thing about CART (if it survives its suicide attempts) and the ALMS and the Rolex 24 hours and Sebring (not so much LeMan but to an extent) these series need coverage and exposure the cost for the rights should not be all that great.

I guess I will just wait and hope for the best.
Old 11-30-2001, 06:18 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
If Nascar has 75 million fans, why doesn't it start its own channel? They could move Nascar collectibles from the shopping channels, old races from ESPN, move the TNT shows to the channel etc. Leave ours alone!!!

Quick Reply: OT: Speedvision news just released, sit down