Sponsored by:

Weekend carnage - trashed my 993.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 09:51 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Weekend carnage - trashed my 993.

Car suffered severe, yet noble, injuries at Summit Point on Sat. I lost control around turn 3, was moving very fast and lost the battle to regain control. I struggled for a good distance and was very close to recovering. But then I got into the gravel pit, grass and.....BAM! I was sliding backwards at a very good clip into the tire wall. Damage looks far worse in person than in these photos. I was able to pry the left muffler back off my tire to get my collapsable spare on and limp home 90 miles. Then I was able to limp to Euro Pros for the estimate. Hope to hear something good later today. Thank God for track insurance!
Attached Images      
Old 10-04-2004, 10:07 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a bummer

Does not appear like more than superficial damage... the brace aft of the engine does not appear bent.

Good luck
Old 10-04-2004, 10:07 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Ouch, Rick ... my condolences. Glad you walked away ... car's easier to fix than you are.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 10-04-2004, 10:26 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear of it. Good luck with the car - and the most important part - you walked away unscathed.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:28 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Thankfully for you and the car you hit a tire wall and not a jersey barrier. Hopefully there is not frame damage and it is just body work. Looks like a relatively easy repair, good luck.

Couple questions about the spin. How many times did you try to catch it? Think back about whether it would have been best to go both feet in after the first or second attempt. Would you have been on the pavement and possibly slowed significantly?

Not trying to say what you did was wrong, just wanting you to share for the benefit of others. I had a similar off this weekend and fortunately there were no walls. Lost it, caught it and it snapped the other way and I immediately went both feet in and stopped just off the track, no harm, no foul.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:29 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I look at is a chance for upgrades. Of course, Ruf rear bumper is needed now. If they have to drop the engine to do the work, I will ask them if they mind if I come in there and install a LWF and RS kit. Worst part of this for me is not having my car for months now. Luckily, my house will be selling just about the time the insur. deductible bill comes due.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:34 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Greg, I did put both feet in, but did so too late. At first I was really battling to recover. I've gone off track in this car two other times and once in my Carrera, so I know the feeling. A few times I have been able to recover, but this time it just happened in a bad place. I am very aggressive and had no one around me, which made me push the car and myself even harder. Unfortunately, my "new" track wheels did not have track rubber and just weren't very sticky. This happened in my second run session on Sat. My first run was spent getting the brain warmed up and passing the real slow ones. Once I was in the second session and had some open space around me, I really got wild.....and paid the price.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:40 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Rick,

Sorry to hear about the incident. I was wondering why I didn't see you on Sunday...

Hope the repair isn't too bad and hopefully you'll be all set to hit the track (not the tires) next spring.

-Skip
Old 10-04-2004, 10:52 AM
hawk993
Racer

Bummer, how do you get that covered under insurance?
Old 10-04-2004, 11:02 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, it's track insurance, I was on the track.....so it's covered. Of course, the deductible will sting badly. But it could have been worse. Plenty of Ferraris and Porsches have died noble deaths on that track without a dime of coverage.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:16 AM
hawk993
Racer

Can you give me any info on track insurance? I have the same car actually, same color, it hurts to look at the pictures. A lot of the guys I know at the track have track cars and do not care if they wreck the car, I am not in that boat...I still even drive my car to the track, pictures like this make me think twice.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:17 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Rick

Very sorry to hear this, but glad you are ok. What a bummer, indeed. I sure hope all goes well with the repair! What track insurance do you have? The reason I ask is that one of our ex-atlantic drivers, David Empringham(sp?) has a DE insurance business, and curious if its the same?
Old 10-04-2004, 11:22 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Ouch! It hurts just to look at that. I'm very sorry for your loss. We should all dress in black today.
Good luck with repairs.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, Chris, that's who I have. Just made a painful call to Dave this morning.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:27 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

really sorry that happened Rick.

But if it was going to happen, at least it happened the right way - on the track. Getting rear-ended on the street, by some moron is maddening.

Hopefully your car will back whole, and modded, soon.

Quick Reply: Weekend carnage - trashed my 993.