Sponsored by:

rennlisters in Hong Kong???

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 11:20 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post rennlisters in Hong Kong???

Just curious if there are any rennlisters in Hong Kong.

I was there recently and was surprised to see so many porsches there.

In fact, more than I usually see here in California. Which is surprising, considering all the talk about the recessed HK economy and the high unemployment rates there. And from what I am told, buying/owning a car in Hong Kong is MUCH more expensive than here in the US.

I saw a whole host of 993's, both turbo and NA, including a stunning GT2. There were a few 996's out there, but not as many. And come to think of it, I didn't see any boxers out there.

Jeff
Old 09-23-2002, 11:38 PM
Kai 96 993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We taxed lux cars 100%, that's why cars in general are so expensive in HK. A stock 996C2 is ~about US$142k now. Price have already came down substantially, back in 1996, a new 993c2 cost ~US$165k. However, depreciation is fast, take my car for example, it probably worth ~US$45k.

I m quite surprised you didnt see boxers, there are quite a lot around. # of turbos increased substantially as well because of the tip.

Give me a shout when you are here next time
Old 09-24-2002, 01:49 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Jeff

I split my time between LA and Hong Kong. As Kai said, the gov't here puts a huge import duty on bring cars here - the only things they charge duty on is cars, tobacco and alcohol, otherwise it's a duty-free city/country. Depreciatin here is massive - after about 3-4 yrs the price of used cars here is about equivalent to that in the US but most of the cars will have only 15-30 km (km not miles!)

That said, you can import almost any vehicle into HK as long as it is rt hand drive - anything from Japan or Europe is available here. There is a Mercedes CLK-GTR around here as well as a 996 GT-1!! I've considered getting a GT3, Skyline, Audi RS4, TVR or something else that I would never get the chance to own in the states. I already have a two stroke motorcycle (illegal in the US) that rides like a video game!
Old 09-24-2002, 01:59 PM
Kai 96 993
Advanced

Hi David

Although I love the Tamora, i'd think twice before getting it here in HK. According to my TVR owner friend, there is only 1 mechanic in HK who knows what to do with TVRs...
Old 09-24-2002, 03:35 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 258 Posts
Very interesting! HK is absolutely one of the most beautiful and interesting cities I've ever visited...I'm curious though, where can you "clean out the valves" in such a concentrated area? You have the beautiful hills going to Repulse Bay, but traffic is hellish! Where can you go, if anywhere, to excercise your cars?

Just curious... Maybe next time I'm in HK, I'll wear my Rennlist T-shirt, just in case...
Old 09-24-2002, 05:50 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Kai - yep, I've already looked into the idea and have dismissed it. I think the guy your friend is referring to is in happy valley/jardine's lookout/Tai Hang Rd somewhere. There's actually a few dozen TVRs here, alot of them chimaeras from the factory in Malaysia or Griffiths, wasn't aware that there were many Tamoras yet. I thought about buying a red 5.0 chimaera earlier this year, and looked at a blue 4.0 a few years back and decided to pass.

Oleg - that's the problem with HK (besides it costing me approx. US$100 to fill my tank) - no real good places to let the car stretch its legs out. The speed limits on the highways are ridiculously low and the twisties are often too narrow. There are a few illegal street racing venues but that's not my thing - for ex. on Sundays around 6AM there is a group of guys who drive various ferraris, TTs, etc and race from Central (the business district) to Clearwater Bay and back.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:50 PM
Kai 96 993
Advanced

yep, we can only clean out our valves between 2 to 6 am in the morning. luckily, l live in one of those "remote areas" and go to work early in the morning, so my valves got "cleaned" quite often.

Quick Reply: rennlisters in Hong Kong???