Sponsored by:

OT: Places to stay in Napa Valley

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 03:29 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default OT: Places to stay in Napa Valley

Going to try to get up to Laguna Seca for the American Le Mans Series in the middle of Oct. I have never visited the Wine Country and would like to know if anyone has recommendations on places to stay in Napa or surrounding and what vineyards to check out. Thanks in advance.

Scott
Old 09-27-2004, 03:50 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I stayed at the Villagio. Very nice. You can take a limo from there that will do a 1/2 day or full day tour of Napa.

The ones I went to were Opus, Domaine Chandon (Champage), Coppola, Beringer and some others that I don't remember. Try the Villagio, I'm sure they can set something up for you.

http://www.villagio.com/
Old 09-27-2004, 04:37 PM
nman413
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mondavi is there too.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:53 PM
jusafan
Instructor

Do you mean Infineon Raceway, formerly known as Sears Point? Because Infineon is up in Sonoma, and very near Napa. Laguna Seca is near the Monterey Penninsula, quite a ways from Napa. Of course, you could make the trip up there after you spend time a Laguna Seca. But before you leave Monterey, you should check out some of the wine areas around there. Not bad wine, from what I've tried.

Anyway, when you get to Napa, I suggest you try staying in the Calistoga area. Some decent bed and breakfasts, if you like that sort of thing. Also, some decent Inns to stay at. But mostly, you can try some of the hot mineral spas. They have some good deals if you get a chance to check them out in advance. That's my two cents. Enjoy your travels!
Old 09-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Scott, I would second the Calistoga area. It's right up the road from St. Helena, which is also just drop dead gorgeous. I would probably skip some ofthe big, nationally-known places, since you can buy Beringer and Mondavi at any 7-11. Try some of the others, that you can only get by ordering or visiting - St. Clement and Sattui (absolute must) are in St. Helena. Sonoma is pretty nice too. If you get there, don't miss Viansa. In fact, I think Viansa and Sattui are the only places where you can buy your lunch and picnic on their beautiful grounds. You really can't go wrong anywhere in that area. The big, nationally-known places are sometimes very crowded and those places off the beaten path can be excellent.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:53 PM
John S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Scott, I just got back from Napa on Saturday. I have to say, the area is F-A-N-tastic. I stayed in Yountville at the Yountville Inn. It was nice, and convenient. I agree also that smaller shops are best. Opus One's organized tour was excellent, as was Cakebread's. Try to hit the Carneras region if you can. Domain Bouchain had the best Pinot Noir I tasted by far - dry farmed from the Gee vineyard. Peju Provence has a great, affordable table wine.

Outside of wines, if you're a burger guy you have to stop at Taylor's Automatic Refresher. It's an old hamburger joint in St. Helena. Get a black and white shake too if you know what's good for you.

You can't miss. Enjoy it!

- John
Old 09-27-2004, 07:04 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's a third on Calistoga. But heck, anything is better than downtown Sonoma, which is teeming with tourists. I recommend checking out Sterling and Shramsberg (make an appt). Have fun!
Old 09-27-2004, 07:05 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stag's leap is my favorite winery and tasting room. Silver Oak is on the way there. Always a good time, though bargains are hard to find anymore. Enjoy the wine country.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:58 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

People went to Napa for the wine tour only which I think is a mistake. You can buy wines anywhere. You should go to Napa/Sonoma for the FOOD! Stop by places like the Cullinary Institute of America and have dinner out on the patio. 10x better than the Mondavi tour.

---
anthony
Old 09-28-2004, 01:16 AM
Eric S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I live in Napa. What do you want to do? Eat, drink (taste)? If you come up let's go for a drive. Let me know. Calistoga is livlier town at night and more fun to stay.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:21 AM
Jim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Those races are at Laguna Seca in Monterey, about 180 miles from Napa or Sonoma.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:12 AM
John S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I liked the wine, but the scenery and the food were the best. As I said, the hamburgers at Taylors, and also, I didn't think French food could be good until I went to Bistro Jeanty and had the cassaoulet (sp?). We also took a bike tour for a day, which was excellent.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:27 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Stay at the Siverado spa and do NOT miss Francis Ford Coppalas winery !
Also St Helena is a great town to walk around in and there is always Anretti's winery.
Drive up into the hills if you have time Great Trip !
Old 09-28-2004, 01:02 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Harvest Inn is a gorgeous place to stay, and a nice location. Near some wineries, but not too jammed. If this is a special occasion, and you don't mind spending some money, Meadowood is spectacular (Joe Montana's favorite). It is hidden in a little teacup valley off Silverado Trail, across from St. Helena.

Auberge de Soliel is another spectacular place to stay, with views of the valley that are breathtaking. Their restaurant is excellent, too. Located just off Silverado Trail at Rutherford Hill.

An unusual winery to visit is Hess Collection, named for their wonderful collection of modern art. It is on Redwood Road, about 4 miles west of Highway 29. Not many tourists find it, so it isn't at all crowded. My favorite chardonnay. Also, Beringer's is not to be missed, even though it is crowded on weekends.

BobbyT
Old 09-28-2004, 01:07 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

French laundry in Napa is the highest rated restraunt in the US.

Quick Reply: OT: Places to stay in Napa Valley