Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bummin, I think I made a big mistake, did I burn up my cab top motor??

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 01:51 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bummin, I think I made a big mistake, did I burn up my cab top motor??

Hi Guys,
Stupid me goes out to dinner with the wife tonight. Had a martini before and I am a pretty cheap drunk with the vodka. I get in the car and go to put the top up, radio starts, I forgot that I had put the cover on. I'm holding the switch for about 10 seconds before I realize nothing is happening and the tops movement had been restricted by the cover. Now I take the cover off and the top won't do anything.
Do you think I have burned the motor? Or please gawd, just a fuse?
Tell me it's just a fuse. Waddya think?
Old 09-26-2004, 02:02 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Check your fuses! Not sure if there is a relay involved, but sure there is.. Thats all the help I am, sorry..
Old 09-26-2004, 02:02 AM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 66 Posts

Tell me it's just a fuse. Waddya think?
post a (unaltered) picture of the fuse and I'll let you know.

max

ps - i hope that its just a fuse too
Old 09-26-2004, 02:24 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 71 Posts

Can I be the first to say, probably not a good idea drinking cheap vodka then sitting behind the wheel of the pcar.
No, I am no angel.. But since someone is going to say it anyway.. Might as well be me.

Good luck with the cab.. I have no idea. Bald guys like me don't like convertibles
Old 09-26-2004, 02:38 AM
Laura
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alan, You would not believe how many people do that. It's not incommon, even 100% sober. Now blonde, that's another story. I strongly suggest you resist that urge to delve into it and find out what it could be other than a fuse. (unless you have a manual and have messed with these before) If anything is forced, it throws these out of alignment, transmissions, motor, cables, gears and hinges are expensive, especially with the last price change in August. Take it to someone who is familiar with these.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:49 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think... it'll be okay... just like laura says. don't try to operate it!!! -- chances are... it can be reset.

had a glitch in my top & that seems to be 'key'... not to mess w/ it. it could result in a pricey mistake. i'd take it to a 'top' guy on monday.

also... don't feel bad... i'll admit i've done it... & so has the valet @ the four seasons!!! (wtf!)
but in both cases nothin' happened.

bol! -doh!-

Last edited by 24FPS; 09-28-2004 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:38 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Alan. Sound like a "I only had two beers ossifer" story. Ha Ha. I can't imagine it being a big deal. Not likely a fuse though. Perhaps there is some sort of a reset. The top on my cab is manual. For better or worst, I have never had to deal with that. I would not be overly afraid of looking around. Just be careful with that hammer! Solving its mystery is like peeling off layers of photo art, at some point you discover what all of its parts look like.

B-Line.. Alan did not say he drinks cheap vodka. He said he is a cheap drunk. Big difference. Just want the clarify the point.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:45 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd bet that you've blown a fuse.

However, the top motors are *extremely* strong, and if you really leaned on it until the fuse blew, I think there's a chance that you've bent the arms or damaged where they connect to the transmissions.

I would recommend that you loosen the big bolts on the transmissions (see the owner's manual) and raise the top by hand. If it seems to go up and down freely without binding, I would put it back down, reconnect it to the transmissions, replace the fuses and hit the switch, but stop immediately if you hear any sort of "popping" noises or if it doesn't seem to be operating smoothly. Bend the top frame itself and you are out some serious cash.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 09-26-2004, 12:51 PM
911MSN
Advanced

I have done the same. It's sad but i admit... As soon as i realized what i have done, i stopped pressing the switch. I then removed the cover but top would not move anymore. I've checked my fuse and that was blown. i don't remember which one but it's listed in the manual. as far as i can tell, there was no other damage.

96 c4 cab
Old 09-26-2004, 01:34 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Thanks guys,

I am a cheap drunk for sure but I like the Grey Goose and that ain't cheap like me.

Well, I am just in denial here and choose not to even acknowledge the fact. If I try hard enough, it will go away and everything will be fine, right? No? Well, you can't blame a guy for trying.

When I get up enough nerve, I am gonna go out to the baby's room and take a look see if that fuse blew. I hope that is all it is otherwise...
I have to take the car in first thing anyway inasmuch as the little basta*d is squealing like a pig. Sounds like a loose fan belt squeal but the belts are tight. It was doing a couple of months ago so I take it in, they replace the belts and all is okay for a couple months. Now it's making a terrible racket, cant' really even drive it anymore. The looks I get are... well you can imagine. Now Jeremy at TRE says he thinks it's a bearing cause the belts are tight. He points in the direction of the fan. Great... He actually didn't hear it because the car had gotten warm and it doesn't do as much then. It squeals when cold and it seems when I am turning hard and taking off from a stop. Once I get going it's okay.
Do you think his diagnosis is correct? What should it cost?

Anyway, thanks for all your advice and I will let you know what I find when I get up enough nerve to go out there.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:13 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Okay, finally got enough nerve to go out to the crib. Blown fuse all right. Get in twist the key, hesitantly push the button............ I hear a sound, yes!!! No... but wait... no movement.
Noise but no go. Bummin again. What now?
Old 09-26-2004, 09:33 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Alan, just to give it a rosey spin.....You're f@%*ed.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:40 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

HUH????
WHAT????
WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?
Rosey spin, you are kidding? How do I read into that? What do.... you mean?
Old 09-26-2004, 09:51 PM
Simon Shearer
Addict
Rennlist Member

no way...i've done this myself...it's a FUSE!
Old 09-26-2004, 09:54 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

I changed the fuse. Now the motor makes noise but the top doesn't move.

Quick Reply: Bummin, I think I made a big mistake, did I burn up my cab top motor??