Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started the slippery slope today-AJ USA Track Style Pedal Set and other little stuff!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 04:16 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts
Default Started the slippery slope today-AJ USA Track Style Pedal Set and other little stuff!

This disease is insidious. I'm not "allowed" to do any upgrades to my car as we are "tight" on money. My definition of tight is different than my wife's, but that's another story. I had my car at the shop for a week for various stuff like putting in new front hood and rear engine compartment shocks, an oil leak in the lower cam cover, and other niggling stuff like a dash rattle from hell. Once it was there for a while, I had this brilliant idea to order the AJ USA 3 piece pedal set + footrest I was coveting and tell her I had to order a part for the repair job via mailorder to save some money on the actual parts! It came 3 days later, I rushed it over there and now I got the car back with it installed. He said it was a royal pain to put it in! Glad I didn't try it-I would have given up after 2 hours of frustration + I don't have the correct tools to do it right. Does it look like he did a decent job of putting them on?

He also said the rear deck shock he put on it was for a 930 Turbo so it is extra strong and will last 3 times as long (it's able to hold up the deck lid of the super heavy 930 Turbo wing). It seemed quite sturdy and it's nice not to have to hold the deck up with my head as I'm putting in the oil anymore! As for the front hood shocks, I was astounded at how sweet they work. I guess they NEVER worked since I've owned it these last 19 months. When I open the trunk lid now, it smoothly goes up like a precise piece of machinery. How SWEET! I hated having to go into my trunk 5-7 times a day for sales literature and have to hold the thing up with my head! Not that safe, either.

I LOVE my new pedal set, and have devised a way to secure more upgrades such as Gert's 993 emergency brake in Aluminum and leather & the nicer aluminum shift **** - I'm going to wait about 9 months till the pain of my recent $1650 service (price includes the pedal set) goes away, and tell her I have to again order some mail order parts for this or that once it hits the shop. It's a great plan, in my book. Hey - she gets her Chanel pocketbooks and nice clothing - I should be able to get SOME goodies sometimes too! She considers the "extra" car the goodie in itself, but I always want ... MORE.

You guys/gals did this to me...

The new shifter and emergency would great right here, right???

Here's the last "mod" I actually did myself - the dreaded door sill removal and the C4S sill in it's place...

Steve
Old 09-22-2004, 04:19 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Here's the last 2 pics from today...
Here's the view from the driver's seat -

And, in the driveway all cleaned up and ready for action showing off my first cheap mod, the clear front turn signals - best spent $116 so far!

Peace,
Steve
Old 09-22-2004, 04:27 PM
deleonl1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dammit man, I need a 993!!!

Looking oh so sweet!
Old 09-22-2004, 05:11 PM
nman413
Drifting

Steve, you need a silver hood crest. Easy mod
Old 09-22-2004, 05:24 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Uh, silver hood crest? I've heard about this. Tell me though, why do I need this? Need, huh?! Is it THAT much better than my standard crest, which I happen to love? Do you have close up pics of this crest on your car by chance?

I guess I should look into this. The only thing is, I have the regular faded crests on my wheels.... wouldn't I have to change all the crests to silver to match? Anything to be different.

Just don't get me going on a new steering wheel. It's too much money right now but I'd LOVE to have one - looks-wise!

Steve
Old 09-22-2004, 05:40 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Love the look of the pedals. I just put some on myself. It wasn't too hard other than I didn't know gas pedal just snaps into the linkage, ball into socket. Since I didn't know this, I undid the bolts on the bottom hinge using contortionist-type skills. Once I undid the bottom bracket and lifted up, I felt dumb. If you just snap out the top, it would take a few minutes to take off the gas pedal.

An added benefit, my son loves to play with my old gas pedal. Don't know exactly what he does with it but 1) he makes cool car sounds when playing with it and 2) it drives my wife crazy to find it laying around the house!

My friend dave - a.k.a. the devil - is similarly tempting me to buy a silver hood crest. Something about improved aerodynamics and 10 hp and...
Old 09-22-2004, 05:46 PM
brian J
Instructor

Steve

Nice work. How difficult is the door sill removal? Can one still buy the c4s sills that you put in. I dont remember carnewal having that exact one?

Brian
Old 09-22-2004, 06:17 PM
nman413
Drifting

Steve, I am nowhere close to my car for the next week and half but I'm sure someone else on the board can help you out with a picture..
Old 09-22-2004, 06:32 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve, you and I are on the same wave length.

I feel your pain brother... hell, "I" could have written this thread.
If you lived closer we could gather at a bar and drink ourselves silly swapping stories of "spousal deception". (I had window tint installed on my C2 before my wife even saw it and put the bill on my gov't travel card -ATM withdrawl- to hide the tracks!)

-with my luck, she'll read this thread somehow-

Muhahahahahaha!
Where there's a will, there's a way!
Old 09-22-2004, 06:37 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's actually not that hard: PSS9s, safety/maintenance item; sway bars, definitely safety item; lwf/rs clutch, replacement at same cost as OEM - no brainer; steve w. chip, isn't this a standard part of 60k service?; new wheels - well, can't figure out a good one here, should have bought car with wheels you wanted; aluminum shifter, uh... cool looking?
Old 09-22-2004, 09:04 PM
solsrch
Pro

Hey, you forgot, litronics (safety for vision), new exhaust (they can hear you coming - what's safer than that), european horns (in case you need to get someone's attention on the beltway - safety), new wheels (Father of 3, you aren't trying hard enough, light weight wheels, less unsprung weight, less loss of contact with the road when encountering rough road conditions in the DC area - safety) new stereo to sooth your nerves, prevent road rage when driving your super fast machine at 0-5 mph on the beltway (public safety and your own). If you want more, I'll help.
The only question is, if she really loves you, why doesn't she care enough to keep you safe??
Old 09-22-2004, 09:27 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

three spoke steering wheel? easy... updated, more modern airbag
Old 09-22-2004, 09:54 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Steve, Steve, Steve,

Don't get me started on all of the things you could do to your 993. I'm a big form-follows-function fan but if white faced gauges, silver trim and carbon fiber tidbits are your bag, have at it. I like Chris' idea of a new steering wheel and think a smaller, thicker rimmed wheel would be a great addition since this is the one part of the car that you're making continual contact with and that you have in your vision. How 'bout new wheels? BBS-RSGT's would be bad-***. Let me know if you need help spending money.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:24 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Get control! Steve 96C4S and Leland Pate you guy got to get the girls on board. Take em to Auto X the car. They may get the fever. My wife has been totally on board, but now that I'm buying another car she is not quite the happy camper she normally is. I sense a car going up for sale soon. I have been able to do anything I want with this car. She has never complained, not once. Another reason I love her.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:52 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

You guys are just plain wicked.
To brianj: The door sill removal is documented ad nauseum in the search part of the 993 list, so I won't bore you with those cruddy details, but I found my C4S door sill on Ebay from a guy that had quite a few of them (4)! It took hours to do both sides of each door and my hands were killing me. Others have simply pressed the new sill right over the gluey part once they got the black plastic off. Wish I knew about that method before I started! I just wanted it done "right".

To Leland Pate: Good one. There's plenty of ways to hide money removal from accts with sleight of hand and some forethought.

To Father of 3: I might have to utilize some of your clever safety issue upgrades

To solsrch: You have taken upgrades and the art of conning a spouse to a new level!

To Chris Walrod and Mark in Baltimore: Yeah, the new 3 spoke steering wheel is going to come one of these days. I never thought of slipping it into a general repair before, but this method may get me all I've ever wanted for the car. My timeline for doing this is quite long, as I plan on keeping this car for a VERY long time, like, at least 10-15 years. So - in 6 months or so, is it the alum/leather emerg brake & new aluminum 993 shifter from Gert OR the new 996 3 spoke steering wheel with the leather stiched airbag? Yeah, baby - it's the new steering wheel! Yahoooo. You're right, Mark. I've been talking about this thing long enough. Ever since I saw Rezal's 996 wheel, I wanted one.

Luckily, I LOVE my stock 18" wheels on the car so I have no interest in upgrading those. The ONLY wheels I'd want instead would be the Supercup style wheels. Man they're hot. I don't really have any interest in lowering my car (glad you guy's haven't mentioned it too much - I know it rides as high as an SUV but I don't mind the look at all on my particular 993) My driveway has a bad angle to it and it just isn't important to me to go with the lowered look.

So I guess that's the plan - 6 months till I slip a steering wheel into my next "repair". "Oh honey, you're wondering what that $600 charge was on our last Amex bill? Gosh, that was a flibberdejam for the intake manifold on the engine. Yeah, I got a good deal getting it mailorder and just brought it in to the mechanic last month for my 70k mi service. Oh honey, we saved $100 this way!"

Steve

PS - If this is the new silver hood crest, I want one!!! Is this nice or what?
$64.98 from Suncoast Porsche. Is that a good price? I just typed in Silver Porsche Crest and this is the 1st one to come up. The green and brown coloring by that black horsey is amazing!!!

"Replace your old or damaged emblem, and upgrade to a new Gold or Silver Crest. Each comes with the emblem seal and tapping nuts. This will fit most all Porsches (excluding the 356 and Carrera GT). "

Quick Reply: Started the slippery slope today-AJ USA Track Style Pedal Set and other little stuff!