Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Brake Bleeding / Flushing

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 08:47 PM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Thoughts on Brake Bleeding / Flushing

OK, I bit the bullet and ordered a 'Power Bleeder' today from Pelican (Rennlist Sponsor) instead of trying to patch together some homemade device.

I was pondering about flushing the brake system and thought maybe it would be a good idea to start with some cheap fluid like Valvoline (a quart is like $0.83) then after it is completely clean go ahead and put in the Super Blue ($10 / liter (litre)).

Why flush with expensive fluid?

Is this a stupid idea / waste of time / money?

Is this a good idea?

Donning Nomex, try to be kind even if you are absolutely sure I am a moron.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:54 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chuck,

It only takes a liter (or two at most) to thoroughly flush the entire system. Also, you probably need to toss whatever brake fluid you don't use, since it tends to absorb water vapor very quickly.

Therefore, I'd suggest simply using 1 or 2 liters of ATE to do the flush. Also, if you haven't flushed the system for quite some time, you might consider two rounds of flushing (RR - LR - RF - LF, followed by the same again) to thoroughly flush the system.

I use 12-15 psi on the Motive Bleeder. You'll love it.

On my car, you also need to flush the pressure accumulator from time to time. The owner's manual has a detailed explanation of how to do this. I'm not sure whether it's unique to the Turbo "Big Red" brake system or not.

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2003, 08:56 PM
Sputnik
Racer

You don't have to "rinse" the brake system (the network of metal hoses or tubes mostly) by new brake fluid. The whole process is to "replace" the old fluid by new. The new fluid (driven by POWER BLEEDER you ordered from Pelican) "pushes" the old one. You observe as old fluid leaves the system (from brake bleeder on the caliper). As soon as the fluid starts to look "new" (no dirt or air bubbles) you tight the bleeder and switch to the next bleeder/caliper.
It is easy DYI. One of the easiest I ever done.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:15 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Chuck
If you alternate ATE Gold & Super Blue (discontinued but still available) it's easy to determine when you've got new fluid in the system. 1 L does the job for non-red brakes.
BTW, I had forsaken the Blue because my old bleeder always left me w/stained everything. With the Motive I barely spill a drop & I'm back to Blue.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:18 PM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the input everyone, I ordered 2 liters of the Super Blue with my Power Bleeder, that should do the trick.

Anir, you are right, I always toss any unused fluid once the seal is broken on the container, I don't want it absorbing water out of the air.

I'm pretty sure my 993 also has the accumulator with non-red brakes.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:21 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Only the 4S and the Turbo have the accumulator. The 993 NA does not.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:30 AM
Dick in TN
Racer

Anir,
I cannot find the pressure accumulator in the owners' manual. Can you help me out? I change brake fluid every other year but never the pressure accumulator, whatever fluid is there must be pretty rancid by now! Gotta fix that! Thanks.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:01 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

One more thing; follow the instructions. Even tho I've used this bleeder prob. 6+ times, this time I disconnected the hose going to the brake reservoir before depressurizing the bleeder. Dumped fluid everywhere!

Jeez - what a brain!
Old 04-10-2003, 02:04 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dick,

Do you have the two supplemental volumes that deal with Turbo-specific issues? The pressure accumulator may not be described in the typical 8-volume 993 maintenance manuals.

I addressed the pressure accumulator for the first time last year, and it did indeed contain some pretty crummy looking brake fluid.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:24 PM
Dick in TN
Racer

Anir,

No, I don't have any manuals other than the ones that came with the car when new.

So where is the accumulator and does it have a bleed nipple? I have a power bleeder. Does bleeding/flushing the accumulator require any special technique other than cracking the nipple? Thanks.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:30 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Dick in TN:
<strong>
So where is the accumulator and does it have a bleed nipple? I have a power bleeder. Does bleeding/flushing the accumulator require any special technique other than cracking the nipple? Thanks.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">THe accumulator is in the front trunk area on the passenger side. It is under a lot of pressure so I can't advise you on how to bleed it. If nothing else take it to a good independent to do that.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:07 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Ray Calvo:
<strong>One more thing; follow the instructions. Even tho I've used this bleeder prob. 6+ times, this time I disconnected the hose going to the brake reservoir before depressurizing the bleeder. Dumped fluid everywhere!

Jeez - what a brain!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">You numbnut! What were you thinking?!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Brake Bleeding / Flushing