Sponsored by:

A/C Belt Squeal/Noisy

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 09:02 AM
smithk993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post A/C Belt Squeal/Noisy

My car as developed a noisy A/C belt or pulley. It's not yet a loud squeal but it's just noisy. I tried a bit of belt dressing sprayed on the belt and that instantly makes the noise go away. Only problem is it comes back within minutes.

Does this sound like a tired belt? If so, can I get a replacement at the normal auto parts store or at Porsche dealers only?

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:27 AM
Schwabe
Intermediate

Hi Keith,

sounds that your belt has insufficient tension, past its useful life or is just dirty.
My belt was 5 years old and produced squeling noises only when the engine was cold. Guaranteed lifetime for new belts is 3 years.
Clean it first with a mixture of water and spirit and check tension. If the noise does not disappear change the belt.
I would recommend that you are using an original porsche belt as an replacement.

regards Juergen
Old 09-17-2002, 02:57 PM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

Hi smithk993,
Not to be an alarmist, but I lived with a noisy belt for about a week on my C2S and she suddenly let go. You should really get a new belt soon.
Jim
Old 09-17-2002, 04:00 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you sure it's the belt & not the fan belt roller that is causing your noise?

<a href="http://p-car.com/diy/roller/" target="_blank">How to fix a squeaking fan belt roller.</a>

Throw out the fan belt dressing which, IMO, does more harm than good. If a belt is marginal, replace it. The cost of preventive maintenance is far less than the consequences of a broken belt - which usually breaks at the worst time and place.

Agree w/using Porsche oem belts, although name brands (e.g., Conti) are available from aftermarket online sources for a few bucks less.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:26 PM
smithk993
Racer

Dan,

I'm not sure other than when I shot the belt dressing on the inside of the A/C belt (while the engine was running) the noise immediately went away. Just didn't stay gone very long!

Does this sound more like the belt?
Old 09-17-2002, 09:14 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Replace the belt; just make sure the size is 12.5mm X 1085 mm.

AND replace it soon! If that belt breaks, it could also blow the alternator/fan belts!!!!

Quick Reply: A/C Belt Squeal/Noisy