Sponsored by:

Dumb 993 continental tire/wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 03:37 PM
Todd
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Dumb 993 continental tire/wheel question

Just got some continentals put on my 18" technology wheels. Brought them home, and now I can figure what side to put each on. I follow what looks like the direction, then when on the car it looks like it is rolling backwards. Was MUCH easier with the Pirelli. Have any closeups of the contis?? Would be real interesting in the rain if I have them on the car worng.
Old 09-14-2002, 07:41 PM
Doug
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Todd, The tires should either have directional arrows on the side, left/right or l/r. If you got them on backwards they will make alot of noise.

Doug
Old 09-14-2002, 09:58 PM
JimBob Jumpback
That's Bubba Guru to you

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Todd:
<strong>Just got some continentals put on my 18" technology wheels. Brought them home, and now I can figure what side to put each on. I follow what looks like the direction, then when on the car it looks like it is rolling backwards. Was MUCH easier with the Pirelli. Have any closeups of the contis?? Would be real interesting in the rain if I have them on the car worng.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Now Bubba,

Y'all be reel karful cuz yu donta wanna puts dem tars on backwards cuz dat will be messin u up. ifn u hab dos direckshunal tyreds, anna u putz dem on backards, den ur kar iz gonna handle bad an da odometerator iz ginna run bakwerds. ifn u makez dat misteak u kin fixn it by swappn yur tyreds preshur. yall put 44 in da front anna 36 inda reer an yall bein OK den bubba.
Old 09-15-2002, 01:14 PM
Todd
Racer

That's what I thought, but I find no indication of left or right anywhere. All I see is "outside".
THese are the stock contis' for 993 18" wheels. (I think 996 18" also) Anyone have a set they could look at and get me a closeup pic or tell me where exactly the L/R is??
Old 09-15-2002, 01:35 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Todd:
<strong>That's what I thought, but I find no indication of left or right anywhere. All I see is "outside".
THese are the stock contis' for 993 18" wheels. (I think 996 18" also) Anyone have a set they could look at and get me a closeup pic or tell me where exactly the L/R is??</strong><hr></blockquote>

So, the outside sidewall goes on the outside of the wheel. You must either have the Conti Sport Contact or the Sport Contact 2. Both of these are asymmetrical but NOT directional. A visit to the Tire Rack's web site would tell you this.

<a href="http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiSport+Contact" target="_blank">Conti Sport Contact</a>

<a href="http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiSport+Contact+2" target="_blank">Conti Sport Contact 2</a>
Old 09-15-2002, 05:58 PM
Todd
Racer

That is correct, however they look as though there is a right way and wrong way. definately not as pronounced as the Pirelli on the other car, but they do seem to have to have the tread "pointing" in the proper direction. But, you say they are asymetrical(obvious) but the contisport cannot be mounted backwards as long as they are on the rim correctly??
Old 09-15-2002, 08:49 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

As Viken said, the Continentals are not directional -- there are no arrows or right/left side indicators. Each tire has an "outside" marker for purposes of mounting the tire to the rim, and as long as the tires were mounted on the rims accordingly, you can mount the wheel on either the right or left side of the car. Hope this helps.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:25 PM
Todd
Racer

Well, all the tires were mounted with the "outside" to the "outside", so I installed and torqued them. Road noise seems ok. Must be alright
thanks

Quick Reply: Dumb 993 continental tire/wheel question