Alignment result question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 07:13 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Post Alignment result question

Had my alignment done today at Champions Porsche, their alignment guy Rudy by far was the best alignment guy I have ever seen.

Here are the results, just curious if anyone can spot anything interesting?

Front Left Front Right
Before After Before After
Camber -0.7 -0.5 -0.6 -0.5
Caster 4.7 4.9 5.4 5.3
Toe 0.20 0.07 0.20 0.07

Rear Left Rear Right
Before After Before After
Camber -1.7 -1.3 -1.6 -1.3
Toe 0.10 0.16 0.15 0.15

Previous alignemnt done 6000 miles ago immediately after I installed the Bilstein HDs with the Eibach springs.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:12 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well,
It seems like he reduced your camber front and rear, reduced your tow in the front and increased it in the rear... I know that Porsche specifies more camber at the RR than FR but I have to tell you that since my car has more camber FR than RR it handles better and Hank tells me that he did the same on his car. So what did I miss?
JM
Old 05-13-2003, 09:20 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"> Here are the results, just curious if anyone can spot anything interesting?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Now you have 0.8 difference negative instead of -1 with less agressive negative setup?
Or that your front toe values were off before the new alignement?

This setup seems to be pretty conservative keeping in line with the factory "understeer" proposition. Did he do the alignement with you or your weight in the car?
Old 05-13-2003, 09:32 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should caster be that far off from left to right in the front? Mine use to be like yours, but I had them set it to 5.4 on both sides.

George
Old 05-14-2003, 10:14 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thank you for the input.

Here is the complete story.

After I had the Bilstein HDs installed I immediately did an alignment, I've always gone with the conservative factory recommended settings to get longer thread life out of my tires.

During the 6000 miles I had put on the car with the new suspension I've replaced the steering rack, spun out once (didn't hit anything).

So it looks like the front toe was off because of the steering rack replacement, and the suspension really settled a lot which created more negative camber all around. And the kinematic toe was also off.

I thought it was interesting to point out that whenever you replace the steering rack, you HAVE to get another alignment. And that whenever you install a new set of suspension you will need a 2nd alignment after the suspension have settled.

The reason I had another alignment done on my car after just 6000 miles was because I felt that my car had become very unsettle at high speeds banking turns. And didn't corner will at all.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:19 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 134 Posts
Robin,

I am about to install my PSS-9 system, and I would like to avoid two alignments. I wonder if I could "settle" the suspension for about 20-30 miles on a set of garbage tires to avoid feathering and damage to my good tires, and then get an alignment. It sure would be an unsettling 20-30 miles!

Best regards,
Tom
Old 05-14-2003, 12:52 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tom

I doubt you would damage your good tyres in 20-30 miles.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:54 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Tom,

I don't think 20-30 will be enough to settle the suspension.

I didn't feel any alignment issue with my 993 until after 6000 miles.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:54 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by TomF:
<strong>I am about to install my PSS-9 system, and I would like to avoid two alignments. I wonder if I could "settle" the suspension for about 20-30 miles on a set of garbage tires to avoid feathering and damage to my good tires, and then get an alignment. It sure would be an unsettling 20-30 miles!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Tom,

Have your suspension system installed, drive the car around the block once or twice and have the car aligned. You shouldn't have any problems with springs sagging after that.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:57 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Robin 993 DX In Atlanta/Miami:
<strong>I don't think 20-30 will be enough to settle the suspension.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Robin,

Quality suspension parts will settle much more quickly than that. Now, if you're talking about sagging springs, that's a totally different story.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:24 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 134 Posts
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I am in the midst of determining if the main seal is shot... (puddle under the car yesterday) AGGH....so the suspension may have to wait a bit.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:38 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I installed the ROW springs and M030 shocks/sway bars on my 993, only got it aligned once. Algnment held for over 2 years; no off-normal tire wear, no strange handling (alignment incl. front height adjustment). Shop was prob. 15 miles from home, and drive over there was done VERY sedately due to settings being so far out of whack.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:40 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Hi Robin:

Viken (once again,....sheesh) is right.

Good suspension stuff, as you have, does not need to be realigned after so many miles unless it was not done right, or something has happened like striking something.

I've gone through this dog & pony show before and nothing changes when we do an installation. Done right (and with good parts), you're good-to-go,....

I'll stress once again how bloody sensitive the 993 is to alignment and how these cars do not suffer fools in this department. If these things are not aligned by knowledgeable and experienced personnel, they will not feel good at all. It doesn't matter if one has $6K worth of Moton triple adjustable's or OEM stuff, if the alignment isn't correct, it will feel terrible,....
Old 05-14-2003, 02:12 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
I would think that the toe would be off when changing the steering rack because of the relation of the toe arm. That was my initial impression as well that your toe was way off but I could not remember the factory specs.
What was amazing to me is how sensitive the alignement is. A slight hand tap on the tire and you see on the machine changing values! Regarding the double alignement I did not have the same problem as you describe. My mechanic besides being **** he is a hell of a nice guy too and when I have done alignements his instruction always is, go run with it and bring it back for me to check everything again. Both cars under his care when I brought them back showed exactly the same values of setup. Needless to say that his initial fee for the alignement includes the post inspection...

What he had done on both alignements when I had change of suspension was to let the car settle overnight. While on the alignement rack besides me being in the car he compressed the suspension multiple times to "settle it" even more before finalizing the adjustment. This procedures I guess are time consuming as they do not happen everywhere especially in a dealer envinronment where fast in and out is desirable to meet their service quotas.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:13 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

That's weird then, I wonder then if it is the Bilstein HDs shocksthat sagged?

The spring were my old Eibach springs I have used for the last three years.

Quick Reply: Alignment result question