Sponsored by:

aux. oil cooler idea

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 11:11 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Alex,

I think the vast majority of people feel that the Turbo S cooler provides less than optimal cooling benefits. I'm not sure if this is due to placement or cooler size, but I do know that the cooler lines are rather constrictive and not conducive to rapid fluid movement.

Oil cooler thread.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:38 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Mark
Old 09-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Chuck:

Do consider moving ahead with possible aux cooler kits for 993's and 993TT's. Having been frustrated by the issue twice with my two 993's, I can add to the list of folks here who would have liked a "stateside" option.

As a point of interest (mentioned earlier in this thread), I did a center mount cooler using an early Cargraphics kit. The cooler I used was of similar thermal mass and exchange area as the side cooler being used by so many folks now. The issue with the center mount location, as has been mentioned, was getting air flow through the cooler. For this, I made my own cooler mount and used the channel of the aluminum bumper as a duct. To accomplish this, I had to make some mods to the bumper itself as well as fab up a sheet alumnium cover to get enough cross section for good air flow. The center mount cooler worked fantastic as long as the car was moving. The only downside was no fan for stop and go driving. Upside, was that the A/C system stayed "fine" (for a 993) even in stop and go situations. I really only mention the center mount option now as I think one might consider three coolers on really high HP or severly driven cars.

After receiving a lot of inquiries from folks on this forum, I considered making a kit myself but was discouraged by the price of the pieces in small qty. If you are already doing P-Car coolers, you might have a better priced source for these parts than I could find. FWIW, while researching the kit, I found a cooler from Setrab that was nearly identical in dimension to the CG cooler, I center mounted.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the center mount setup, I did.

Regards
Old 09-21-2004, 01:32 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Boris you might want to tell Chuck to revist this thread- he may have given up on it awihle ago.
He might not have seen the "you go Chuck!!" posts
Old 09-21-2004, 01:36 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i did

Quick Reply: aux. oil cooler idea