Sponsored by:

aux. oil cooler idea

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 12:50 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I found all the connectors through Earls etc and can do dual coolers in the bumper for less than $1000
including S ducts. The S ducts are the key. They deliver clean cooling air to the AC condenser and the
existing oil cooler. Clean air goes through both existing ducts to the new coolers and is exhausted through the bottom of the fender through existing exhuast ducts. The single cooler can be done first
like Flying Finn said for less than $400 in a DIY situation. then thesecond cooler can be added later.
Rennlister MikeW has already done the dual cooler/S ducts for about $1100 with his Mechanic doing all the work. I found all the metric/standard fittings on the internet as well as the oil lines for very reasonable prices. I found Elephants prices to be alot higher however their fittings are proven for racing applications. the fittings I found were standard AN fittings for standard applications tested at standard pressures. But I believe they should work. The desert racers out here use alot of the same fittings.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:27 AM
nman413
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OG, where's the cheapest place that you have found for S ducts? I might install a set on my car at some point. Might get you to paint them for me.

Boris, I'm finishing (I hope!) the oil cooler install tomorrow if you want to stop by to watch me Bozo(tm) my way through. My resistors are dead so they need to get replaced. Bob, are you reading this? I need parts..

Tom W stopped by to help me get started today and that was a great help. He also kindly donated some M6 bolts which I need to get another of. Does anyone know when OSH opens on Sundays?
Old 09-19-2004, 01:37 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I dont know a cheap place for S ducts outside of Ebay. MShaw is the only place I know of.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:50 PM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boris is right, I don't have a 993 kit to offer. Just the capacity to create one.

Based on the feedback here it seems you guys are pretty satisfied with existing products on the market. I try to develop products only when existing products or providers are coming up short in some capacity. It seems that isn't the case here. I'll be focusing my efforts on other projects for now.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:07 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Chuck in all honesty we are NOT satisfied with the kits out there- Cargraphics is expensive, Ruf is less so but the sandwich idea is still not optimum. To do the dual filter idea WE have to do all the research and WE have to hunt all the parts down. Now if youre an engineer maybe thats not too much but if youre a normal DIY guy it would be nice is someone would offer the kit, for a reasonable price. If FInn and I can do it looking all over Gods green earth for parts someone like you could do better and probably even offer a better price given your resources. The problem is I dont want to pay $60 for a fitting I can find for $25. Jus trying to help. Someone COULD offer a kit without breaking our Mod banks (bank account) and still make a nice profit.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:12 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

well put OG!!!
Old 09-20-2004, 02:20 AM
nman413
Drifting

Chuck, the cargraphic kits take FOREVER to deliver. I waited over 3 months for mine. Even if you created a Cargraphic clone with similar capabilities for say $1200 (obviously less is better) and prompt delivery, I think there will be a market since people get things a lot faster than the crazy wait I had to go through.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:06 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree exactly what OG said.

Since you can get parts for one extra cooler parts (fittings, hose & cooler) for little less than $400 and two cooler parts for about $650 if someone would offer a kit where all the hoses were cut to right lengths, fitting connected to hoses and brakcets already made, I'd think there could be interest here for a kit like that.

It's the measuring, fabbing those simple brackets etc. that puts people off, I know I can do it but there are lot of people who are not willing or capable of that so a kit would be perfect.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:45 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

I'm in on a group buy if the product becomes available.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:38 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll ditto all the above as well. I've just started droving my car after a good year off, and I've either forgotten how warm the oil gets around Houston in the summer, or it's not handling the heat as gracefully as it used to. Let alone tracking it in the summer. I haven't been willing to pop for the Cargraphics, but I'd also be in the market for something a bit less painfully priced, good service, and as indicated above, all the bracketry/hose length/fittings/ resolved.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Boys, As I have stated numerous times Putnam Engineering has a kit which has been fitted to my car. It consists of two front coolers , top of the line fittings and hoses as well as aluminum mesh grills in place of the plastic ones (way cool!). I have no $ interest other than finding Jay Putnam the best and most competent Porsche wrench I have had in 25 years of Porsche ownership. I have had his kit in my car for two months now and even in Florida weather have never seen the gauge above 8 o'clock. I have not taken the car to the track, but I would be surprised if the coolers did not work great there as well. I have also installed S ducts (modifyed by Jay).
I have been promising pictures forever (I know Old Guy I need a camera!). I will post some shortly. Jay's kit runs around $1200. Mike W
Old 09-20-2004, 03:38 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

good info Mike. I will do search for info on Putnam's coolers.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:51 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I would definately be interested as this is something I must address this winter... Everyone keep us posted.

I have a question about the cargraphic oil cooler install. If no other option becomes available, that is the one I will do. If the only problem is that the location and hot air degregate the AC cooler, is there a way to install a easy shut-off valve between the OEM oil cooler and the Cargraphic oil cooler so during daily driving (when the cargraphic isn't really needed) I could switch off the flow of oil and only open the flow for track events? Just another thought, but not sure if it would even work - Engineers please chime in and let me know if this idea would or wouldn't work.

-Skip
Old 09-21-2004, 10:20 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Chuck and Boris,

If there were a cheaper alternative to the Cargraphic cooler that's just as effective, I would have gladly paid for it. I also fully understand that whoever pieces together, R&D's, and markets a new kit would need to make a profit for the efforts; I didn't have the time to do it on my own and think that many other people are in the same boat and, based on this thread, are either reluctant to pay the $1700 or wait the interminably long time for the Cargraphic. Those who want to DIY it and save a bunch of cash, I say go for it, good luck, and have fun.

What good is a cooler (Cargraphic) that only costs $200 more than your potential unit but requires the user to wait months before installation? Considering that people are willing to save $100 or so for a group buy of anything, I would guess that you would find a ready base of customers who are looking to save some money on an excellent product that they can receive on a timely basis.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:43 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

what about the turbo S auxillary cooler found on Gert's site at $695 Euro? States that can be used on all 993s without further modifications.

Quick Reply: aux. oil cooler idea