Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What could be the lightest wheel out there

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 11:00 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still want someone to buy some BBS RE's so I can drool over their car. I wish I could afford modifications right now.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:17 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by mnmblu
I would love to hear more about it and wanted to let you know that each time I see it, I admire it greatly. It is a gorgeous shot in such an beautiful setting. It really does deserve whatever award it got. Kudos to you.
Alan, thanks indeed for the kind words! It was just a spontaneous shot as i drove through some woodland. I won the Porsche 40th Anniversary photo competition with it.

Originally Posted by tonytaylor
My GT1 Veloces appear to be slightly heavier than Grahams but are still lighter than any in the list above.
Tony, I was only quoting the manufacturer's supplied weight. I didn't weigh mine.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:20 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TamiyaGuy
Anir,

I don't know much about wheels, what is the drawback to a magnesium center wheel? Is it too brittle? Thanks, peter
Peter,

As I understand it, the racing BBS wheels are three piece units with magnesium centers and aluminum rim halves. For whatever reason, the magnesium centers tend to have a shorter life span, and can fail (crack) more easily when subjected to the rigors of street driving, e.g. potholes, etc. They need to be checked frequently. I don't know enough about physics, metallurgy, or mechanical engineering to explain the underlying reasons.

Old 09-19-2004, 06:07 AM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Similar thread here https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...71#post1570371

Construction and fabrication method seems similar to Veloce GT1, AFAIK, so should be light.

Quick Reply: What could be the lightest wheel out there