Sponsored by:

Insurance at Driver's Education Events

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 09:23 PM
JPL 993-C4S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Insurance at Driver's Education Events

Suppose one were going to a Driver's Ed event at Watkin's Glen through a car club such as the PCA or the BMW club. Not a timed event or a race, just a few laps on the track to gain basic familiarity with my new car in a controlled environment.

Would this be covered under a typical insurance auto policy?
Old 05-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Knute
Advanced

Depends on the carrier.

As an example, USAA (who is otherwise very good to deal with, in my experience) will drop you like a rock if they learn that your car insured with them is spending any time on a track, whether timed or not. I have even heard of complications arising if people _ask_ them about this; they then assume that you _will_ be tracking it, which puts a damper on the relationship.

I have also heard of variations in coverage by state, resulting in situations where a given carrier will cover driver training courses (non-timed) in one state, but not in another.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:58 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I had a small problem with a turbo on a track at a DE event (car was totalled after a sway bar link broke on a very fast turn). I had requested a position on these events with State Farm, and literally that day they had a letter for me stating that I was covered was the day I called to say I had a problem. They paid off the value of the car with modifications and did not even charge me with an accident. I have also had friends have problems, and they have not paid, paid and then drop the person, or settled for a reduced amount given the circumstances of the claim.

As Knute says, depends upon the carrier. To even test the waters, you should have a good relationship with your agent.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts
Lots of threads on this subject; try doing a search and be set free.

You can purchase separate track insurance from <a href="http://www.americancollectorsins.com/" target="_blank">American Collectors Insurance</a> but it's pricey and has a high deductible. State Farm is one of the few carriers that will cover you for a non-timed track event but it's still best to self-insure yourself for minor accidents; most companies will drop you like a hot potato once they pay out your track claim.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:08 PM
JPL 993-C4S
Instructor

Hmmm... sounds scary... I will read the policy...

Knute, I used USAA for my entire life until this year. They were substantially more expensive than Geico for me when I last checked (in March 2003).

This is a long shot, but does anyone know about Geico in NY state?
Old 05-08-2003, 11:01 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts
JPL - I was with Geico for 17 years or so and switched to State Farm. At least in MD, Geico considers DE’s to be racing. I was told they may cover damages but might not renew the policy.

Your state may vary but I kind of doubt it.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:42 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
My buddy rolled his SVT Contour at an open track event at Buttonwillow. He was insured with USAA, and they covered him (and continue to cover him) without a complaint. They did however, check with the open-track organizers to ensure there was no timing, racing, or other competitive events going on. It IS after all, just a way for us to learn to drive our cars safer and better... right? All together now...
Old 05-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Steve,
Was your friend's SVT "incident" recent? Do you know whether it was after USAA changed the wording of the policy so that it sounds like DEs are no longer convered?
Old 05-09-2003, 01:29 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Uh, not to be a Ray Calvo or anything, but why are you asking us? Call your particular insurance company and get the information directly from the horses mouth. That way you will know exactly where you stand.
FWIW my insurance company is GMAC, and they told me that I would be covered at a DE.
Of course as slow as I am, my major concern is getting rear-ended by faster traffic
Old 05-09-2003, 02:54 PM
Dan89_930
Instructor

To add to Scott's comment - better yet, when you call your carrier, have them fax to you their agent's "handbook" (my word for it). I have Allstate. My agent read me what my policy states (gee, I already did that and didn't understand, so that's why I called). He, too was not clear on what it all meant. So he referred to his "handbook" and was willing to fax me the relevant pages that gave specific examples/situations/interpretations that my policy did not explain.

It was VERY interesting reading.

Know before you go!

Dan
'89 930 3.4
'97 993tt
Old 05-09-2003, 03:13 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I have found that in Virginia, Geico and USAA don't cover DE or AutoX. I've started talking with State Farm and they don't have any exclusionary clauses so the agent said I would be covered.

Will be switching shortly,

Skip
Old 05-09-2003, 04:20 PM
becker - 97'C4S
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I know somebody that totalled a Ferrari (in T3 at Summit Point) and after a few weeks of back and forth they paid him but got dropped quickly. For what I've heard for somehow smaller 'incidents' you are better off just taking the bite and save the insurance for the real bad stuff because they'll put a mark on you anyway that will haunt you and you will end up paying for it anyway.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Insurance at Driver's Education Events