Sponsored by:

Towing Race Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 01:24 AM
Jean-Marc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Towing Race Car

Just purchased a 993 supercup (I think.... it;s in France and the F@#$%^&**( EPA is ausing me issues to get it in under a permanent race car exemption) so now I need a trailer and towing vehicle. I was thinking of getting a Mercedess ML or a BMW X5 but I am told that these SUVs may have too short of a wheel base to pull the car comfortably. Any input would be greatly appreciated
JM
Old 08-10-2001, 10:28 AM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
The rule of thumb is get the biggest and strongest tow vehicle you can afford or tolerate on a daily basis. Typically you may want a Ford Expedition, Excursion, Chevy Tahoe, GMC Yukons Cadillac Escalade. These are usually quite adequate and much much better tow vehicle for open trailers with tireracks and stuff and up to 22-24' lightweight enclosed trailers. TOW vehicles take a completely different mindset then than waht you idealize/desire in small compact agile racecar. Tow vehicle should be very stable and have lots of torque, and offer a larger wheelbase. Little Mercedes MLs, BMW X5s, Jeeps, and smaller SUVs may work for some people.....but are less desirable........ when you have a problem when swaying when towing (windy days/tongue weight/tractor trailers blowing by you/etc)-- stability and control by virtue of mass and big platform cant be substituted ..... you can get screwed with a tiny SUV. For a super quality all Aluminum open or enclosed trailer goto the Aluminum trailer companyweb page Fabspeed is an East Coast dealer for these super super quality welded all aluminum trailers!!
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 08-10-2001, 11:10 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Jean-Marc:
<STRONG>I was thinking of getting a Mercedess ML or a BMW X5 but I am told that these SUVs may have too short of a wheel base to pull the car comfortably. Any input would be greatly appreciated
JM</STRONG>
Jean-Marc,
Congrats on the Cup Car I hope everything comes through as advertised.
I tow with my 99 Ml430 and an open trailer from
trailer world
I have their aluminum trailer. Look at their pics and you will see a similar set up to mine. The ML had no problems pulling the weight and supposedly in Europe the ML has a 7500# towing capacity. I have put over 20K miles towing with this to various tracks in the US and can cruise at 75mph or more if needed. My brother in law and I recently bought a truck together (F250 with Powerstroke Diesel) it is a much better tow vehicle but I couldn't stand to drive it everyday. The ML is a compromise in room compared to an Expedition or Excursion but it is a vehicle you wouldn't mind driving daily. FWIW I have a deposit on a Cayenne that I probably won't take if you are interested.
Old 08-10-2001, 11:12 AM
George
6th Gear

I have to disagree- I tow with an X5- no problems at all- in fact it's fantastic. And it's a hell of a lot more fun to drive during the week than a Tahoe/Suburban/Excursion etc.

But it does have a 6,000 lb limit. If you're looking at a covered trailer you are practically forced to deal with American iron.
Old 08-10-2001, 01:44 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 285 Posts
JM:

As you know Rick L. tows his enclosed trailer (not sure of weight) and cup car with a new Toyota Sequoia.

Cheaper at $30K, nice to drive, v8 power. You might want to call him.

Chris C.
Old 08-10-2001, 01:50 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Something else I will add. When I tow with my ML I use a weight distributing hitch with the bars. Helps reduce sag and sway. I load my car on backwards, to help minimize the sway also. Was traveling back from the track one weekend (with car loaded nose first) and the trailer started to sway, man was that exciting. From that day on I changed how I loaded the trailer and invested in the weight dis. hitch.
Greg
Old 08-10-2001, 02:15 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
OK, throw this into the mix. I tow a tandem steel (1600#) trailer, dual ramps with x fuel, tire rack and a 993 coupe. My tow vehicle is a Toyota Tacoma V-6 supercharged 5 speed pick up. The only problem is I get 9 miles to the gallon towing in the mountains which means 180ish mile range. I prefer a smaller truck. I cant understand the need for all these huge vehicles even though all the experts agree bigger is better. (I am not one)
Bill W
993 DECS
Old 08-10-2001, 03:20 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

Originally posted by Greg Fishman:
<STRONG>

Jean-Marc,
Congrats on the Cup Car I hope everything comes through as advertised.
I tow with my 99 Ml430 and an open trailer from
trailer world
I have their aluminum trailer. Look at their pics and you will see a similar set up to mine. The ML had no problems pulling the weight and supposedly in Europe the ML has a 7500# towing capacity. I have put over 20K miles towing with this to various tracks in the US and can cruise at 75mph or more if needed. My brother in law and I recently bought a truck together (F250 with Powerstroke Diesel) it is a much better tow vehicle but I couldn't stand to drive it everyday. The ML is a compromise in room compared to an Expedition or Excursion but it is a vehicle you wouldn't mind driving daily. FWIW I have a deposit on a Cayenne that I probably won't take if you are interested.</STRONG>
Thanks, I also have a deposit on the Cayenne and like you most likely wonn't buy it. I asked for a quote for the smallest one and was told about 50K and there's no way I'm going to spend that much on a truck... I'llmost likely get an X5 or ML and follow your advice. BTW, the cup car is as advertised because I went to check it out myself in france where its coming from. Darn EPA hasn't issued the race car exemptiion yet so technically, I haven't bought it yet (even though I hve paied the guy...)
Should be on the boat Thursday next week and then I should get it by last of August or very firsts day of September... Can't wait. I've got 2 days scheduled at Road Atlanta on September 6 and 7....
Old 08-10-2001, 04:29 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Jean-Marc,

Is it rude to ask so publically what you paid over there for an RS? I would also like to know sources you used etc... Feel free to email me offline if that is easier...

Many Thanx,

E. J.
Old 08-10-2001, 06:34 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

It's not an RS that I bought, it's a 993 supercup.... You can buy one in Europe for anything between 55K and 80K. Then you have to ship it, which is another 3K including insurance, pay import duties, another 2K, harbor fees, about 0.5K, fly there to see it and fly again to put it in the container (free miles in my case), deal with the E8PA, NHTSA, shippers, brokers, etc etc. I would say that unless you really want to do it all yourself like I did and are prepared to take 100h of your time or so, you're better off buying one that's already here for $85K.
You live and you learn I guess. Sources were european car magazines (in my case a French magazine). I highly recommend not to do it, unless you speak the languages (I do) and have time.
JM

Originally posted by E. J.:
<STRONG>Jean-Marc,

Is it rude to ask so publically what you paid over there for an RS? I would also like to know sources you used etc... Feel free to email me offline if that is easier...

Many Thanx,

E. J.</STRONG>
Old 08-11-2001, 10:55 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Thanx for the first hand update. I kind of figured it to be that way. I guess if you could get a really good deal on a car there, then it would be worth it.

E. J.

Quick Reply: Towing Race Car