Sponsored by:

CR-1 Radio Removal--Trafficpro Arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 07:26 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Got it! Peter, your advice was exactly on target. The little gravity locks are the only thing that holds this unit in place. I just wasn't getting enough force by pulling on it. I took out the glove box, pushed on the back of the unit, and it came right out. Thanks again to everyone for your help.

I have the wiring harness all done for the Trafficpro, so it should be about a five-minute job to install. I still haven't located the reverse wire or the speed signal, but that can wait a bit.

If anyone know the exact location of these two wires on the 993, that would be a big help.

BobbyT
Old 09-11-2004, 09:37 PM
914und993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the speed signal, tap into the white/red wire that goes into the little spoiler control module just above the passenger left foot.

For the reverse signal, if you insist on using it, there is a wire coming out of the CCU (climate control unit) but I can't remember which one. I'm told you need to pull out the CCU to get to it. You don't really have to have the reverse signal. How much reversing do you do? It is only to tell the TP you are backing up during times when GPS signal is not available.

Chip
Old 09-11-2004, 11:52 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What in heavens name is a "speed signal" and "reverse" wire?

For a stereo? You guys got me worried!
Old 09-12-2004, 01:42 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Leland,
The speed wire and reverse are so the radio signals know where to find you :-)

Actually, the Trafficpro is a GPS navigation/CD player/radio...on sale at Crutchfield's for $399--that's $1100 off list price!

BobbyT
Old 09-12-2004, 01:16 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Chip,

Thanks for the info on the speed signal wire. I hooked it up this morning and everything works perfectly.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:30 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

For Jason,
The speed signal wire is exactly as Chip said. Locate the spoiler control module, under the dash on the passenger side, in about the center. It is a black box with a multi-pin rectangular connector. Cycle the spoiler manually, then unplug the connector and try it again. If the spoiler doesn't raise, you've got the right connector. Peel back the tape slightly, locate the white/red wire, and tap into it for the speed signal.

I haven't connected the reverse wire, and several people have said it is not at all necessary.

One significant error I found in Crutchfield's instructions for connecting the wiring harness: The red wire on the Crutchfield harness must connect to the yellow wire on the Trafficpro harness, and the yellow wire on the Crutchfield harness to the red wire on the TP, to get the pin location correct for constant power and switched power. Check the connections guide on page 4 of the TP Installation Guide and you will see what I mean. If you wire it exactly by the Crutchfield's instructions, you will have to input the radio code on each startup...

This is a very nice unit, and it looks like it was designed with Porsches in mind. It matches perfectly with the rest of the dash. It is not quite as easy to use as my Magellan Roadmate 700, but it has more features.

BobbyT
Old 09-12-2004, 04:16 PM
jkuniverse
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BobbyT,
I really appreciate for the information and update... I'm glad everything worked out for you. I can't wait 'til I get my Trafficpro. Also thanks to others who provided valuable information.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:25 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jason,
Let me know if you run into any problems, or need any more information.

BobbyT
95 C2 Guards Red/Cashmere
03 MB E320
00 Lexus RX300
Old 09-17-2004, 02:41 AM
jkuniverse
Racer

BobbyT,
I got my CR-210 replaced with Trafficpro today. Fortunately it was pretty much all 'plug and play' and I didn't have to use any of the harness sent by Crutchfield at all. I didn't even have to look for the speed control wire since it was already connected to the CR-210 for the GAL feature. However, I did encounter one major problem - no sound!!! So I did the search and found out that A5 and C1-6 required a jumper - I have no idea why? (I think it has to do with the factory external amplifier control). Anyway, it sounds great (better than CR-210 IMO) and still controls the CDC-3 Changer. I have not yet tried the GPS yet (it's late), but like you said it is a very nice unit!!! Well, that's the update and thanks again for all the info.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Craig W.
Instructor

Thanks for the great thread and reminder of the Crutchfield deal. Ordered a TP yesterday and can't wait to get it.

Now off to search for posts on whether to replace the original speakers with some high tech new ones.....
Old 09-19-2004, 08:19 PM
gslaberge
Advanced

Is this unit the same as the Becker Navigation Online Pro 7800? Sure looks like it. Does the HK unit play MP3?
Here is the link to the Becker:
http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/acat...ecker_mp3.html
Gregg
Old 09-19-2004, 08:27 PM
jkuniverse
Racer

Gregg,
I don't believe it is the same unit and it doesn't play MP3 files. Here is a link for Crutchfield for more detailed info. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vkFocWw...rch=trafficpro

BobbyT,
Where did you mount the GPS antenna? I'm thinking about getting an extension so I can mount it in the back. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:09 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Jason,

I mounted the GPS antenna on the left side of the dash, buy wrapping the wire under the VIN tab and around the end of the dash. You can tuck the wire into the trim margins using a blunt tool, so it is completely hidden. The wire holds the antenna so well, I didn't even use any velcro or mounting tape.

BobbyT
Old 09-20-2004, 01:10 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally bit the bullet and ordered mine last night. Thanks for the info.

Dave
Old 09-20-2004, 05:33 PM
grouchy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I used forceps to hold the gravity locks in the center, lifting too high will cause them to catch. I then used a pair of bicycle spokes poked into the slots on both sides and then pulled evenly. Somewhere there was a thread where I had pictures of my high tech removal procedure.

Quick Reply: CR-1 Radio Removal--Trafficpro Arrived!