Sponsored by:

Is it a Flywheel problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 11:42 PM
smithk993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Is it a Flywheel problem

I'm getting ready to purchase a 95 993 with 41K miles. Haven driven several others, I noticed this car seems to be sticky coming out of 2nd or 3rd gear if allowed to engine break prior to shifting. Doesn't have problem on upshift. Mechanic says its the dual-mass flywheel and is planning to replace with RS flywheel. Does this sound like the problem???
Old 11-22-2001, 12:24 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 227 Posts
It sounds like the input shaft possibly might be corroded, thus making the transmission (hang) between shifts.
Old 11-22-2001, 02:09 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello,

Kevin's right on ... "classic case" of a corroded transmission input shaft/clutch disc center. Check out this recent thread:

Recent Thread on Sticking-In-Gear

If you dig through the archives, you'll find more of the same ....

Unfortunately, the transmission still needs to be removed to fix the problem. Considering that the car already has 41k miles, you might as well just replace the clutch parts while you're in there ... unless you're on a really (really) tight budget and are willing to roll the dice with used parts ...

Since you're looking at a '95 993, you need to be careful if you do choose to install a lightweight flywheel (LWF) in the car. Without the proper chip, you'll wind up with idle (e.g., stalling) problems.

Best of luck!
Old 11-22-2001, 07:45 PM
smithk993
Racer

Thanks for the quick response. This sounds exactly like the symptoms I am experiencing. Some of the comments talk about corrosion on the shaft. This wouldn't be indicative of other corrosive actions would it?

Also the mention of replacement chip has me puzzled? Who would I get to reprogram the chip to work with the new flyweheel? Would it be better to go back with an OEM dual-mass flywheel?

Thanks for the excellent responses.

Keith

Quick Reply: Is it a Flywheel problem