Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel Bearing R&R - what tools do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Wheel Bearing R&R - what tools do I need?

My left rear wheel bearing is in need of replacement, and I plan on doing it myself. From the previous posts here it doesn't sound too difficult. I know I need a BF torque wrench capable of 339 ft-lbs, as well as a 32mm socket, and a breaker bar to get it undone. What else is needed?

I was looking at the Baum Tools website, and they list 13 different tools for the rear suspension, of which about 6 look like they may be involved in the wheel bearing R&R process (click here for link to the site)

So which ones do I need to do this job? From previous posts it seems that only one tool is really needed, but which one?

And is there any other tool that is useful? I'd hate to get started on the R&R and find that I'm missing some specialty widget needed to complete the job.

TIA for any help.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:34 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at Engine Builders Supply. They have what you need. Not on their website, but just ask them. You just need a single tool (it comes with lots of bits) for R&Ring the wheel bearing. Cost is about $130. BE ready to take the stub axle to a mahine shop to get the front race of the wheel bearing off (unless you have a REALLY good 2 jaw puller). This gets destroyed in the removal process. Be careful when reinstalling so the the stub axle does on push out the back side of the wheel bearing.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:58 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by viperbob
Look at Engine Builders Supply. They have what you need. Not on their website, but just ask them.
You had a previous post suggesting EBS, and based on that I did check their website last night. And you're right, the tool for R&R'ing isn't listed. I'm glad you suggested calling them as they do have the tool I need. And it's $115, so I'm even more happy.

Thanks for the suggestion... the tool should be here next week.

Also, does anyone have a good DIY procedure (with pics) for this? I'd like to use a step-by-step procedure that way if I screw up it will be due to stupidity and not ignorance.

TIA
Old 09-08-2004, 09:06 PM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff, how did you know your bearing was out ?
Old 09-08-2004, 10:59 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

At a DE this weekend, I noticed a 1/rev sound that grew progressively worse. With the car off, you could push it fwd/backward and hear the bearing hitting a bad spot. A few others with better ears could tell the sound was coming from the hub and not the CV.

When the sound first started I was hoping it was something else, like something between the rotor and shield... alas, that wasn't the case.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:58 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

ViperBob,
Would THIS tool work?
Old 09-09-2004, 12:46 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason - Yes and no. It can help in the removal of the bearing, but the EBS tool also helps the installation of the bearing and the stub axle into the bearing WITHOUT allowing the axle to push out the inside bearing race. Trust me, there is nothing more frustrating than going through all of this and on the last step you destroy the bearing and you have to start all over again....

Jeff - You may also notice that when you jack the car up you can twist the wheel and you will have some play... If things get real bad, you have to replace the stub axle (about $300) due to wear......
Old 09-09-2004, 02:23 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW, what's the best way to get that 32mm nut off? I have a 3/4" drive breaker bar and the socket... can I just muscle it off?
Old 09-09-2004, 09:42 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Jeff,
Do you have an air compressor? if so use a impact wrench. If not I don't see why a breaker bar wouldn't work as long as you use an impact socket.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I do have an impact wrench and compressor, but I don't think the wrench has enough cajones to get that nut off.

If I can't get it done with the breaker bar, I guess I'll splurge for a better gun.

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Bearing R&R - what tools do I need?