Help with Aerokit side skirt instalation

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 12:23 AM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Help with Aerokit side skirt instalation

I am going to install a set of Tequipment Aerokit side skirts on my car and could do with some help. The kit comes with no installation instructions only instructions on painting.

It does come with a roll of two sided tape, which I assume goes allong the top edge under the door. It also comes with and epoxy tube which I cannot figure out the use for.

Questions,
1/ The instructions make reference to trimming before painting, the parts appear to fit perfectly, what am I missing?

2/ There are two holes that don't line up with anything in the rear wheel well area. There are also no extra screws or clips for this. How are this part fastened?

3/ Will the part stay on with only the two sided tape and the fasteners underneath or do I have to use the epoxy and so where?

If there is a Porsche bulletin on this could some one forward me a copy.

Thanks much

Levino

1997 C4 Cab
Old 06-19-2002, 03:32 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 341 Posts
All I know is that the Porsche 993RS side skirts bolt up readily with no 2 sided tape. They sell for about $750 US from Gert <a href="http://www.carnewal.com" target="_blank">http://www.carnewal.com</a>

Perhaps you should consider selling the Tequipment Aerokit side skirts and go Euro...be a little different!!!!

I know that Mark Hergesheimer from Hergesheimer Motorsports in Lake Forest, CA installed a set of these on a 993...give him a call. If he has time, he'll help you out.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:53 AM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Martin:
[QB]All I know is that the Porsche 993RS side skirts bolt up readily with no 2 sided tape. They sell for about $750 US from Gert <a href="http://www.carnewal.com" target="_blank">http://www.carnewal.com</a>

Perhaps you should consider selling the Tequipment Aerokit side skirts and go Euro...be a little different!!!!/QUOTE]

Martin, thanks but I already have the splitters and the bi-plane wing from the Eurokit and I prefer it to the RS pancake wing. I will however take you up on your suggestion and call Mark.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:54 AM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I meant Aerokit...:-))
Old 06-19-2002, 04:34 PM
PeanutinCA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LAT,
with regard to the holes in the sideskirt;

[quote] 2/ There are two holes that don't line up with anything in the rear wheel well area. There are also no extra screws or clips for this. How are this part fastened? <hr></blockquote>

The RS sideskirts (for example) require a hole to be drilled into the inside lip of the guard to attach. There is also a hole in the skirt that sits inside the wheel arch, it doesn't mate up with anything? I used some zip ties to that whole to anchor the sideskirt to the body of the car.

As for the epoxy, there isn't any rubber lips/seals on any of the pieces is there? You may need to glue those rubber seals to the kit? I glued rubber seals to my C2 kit on a previous car.

Good Luck,
Dylan.
Old 06-20-2002, 01:46 AM
TechArt Nik
Track Day

I'm not sure what model do you have but if you have a C4 wide body it will not fit at all. You can use the double sided tape that came with it but it's best to add a couple of screws (Front&rear). Do not use apoxy because the new owner might want to take the skirts off and he/she will have a job breaking them into pieces just get them off and not to mention paint damage.....I have seen this before and it's not a cool site, goodluck!
Nik
Old 06-20-2002, 10:27 AM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nik, it is a C4 narrow body, thanks for the tips, the stuff in the tube is actually the same stuff they use to bond windshields, black and messy. I am thinking of using a wider strip of double sided tape as well as all the indicated attachement points.
There are two holes in the back area that I will have to drill into the rear fender skirt to install. There are no fastners provided to deal with this. Any ideas.
Thanks
Old 06-20-2002, 02:43 PM
TechArt Nik
Track Day

You can get fasteners at HOMEDEPOT it doesnt necessary have to be TECH hardware. Don't let those holes bother you. Take it to knowledgable body shop and they will drill holes in a secure area where you don't have to worry about your skirts flying off at high speeds
Old 06-21-2002, 01:40 AM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking

Done, and I am pleased with both the job and myself. I used body shop double sided tape, about 1/2" wide and it worked great. This is the same stuff they use to attach most moldings. It also comes off without the paint. Thanks to all for your input, much appreciated. I would post a picture but I don't know how to do that on this site.

Quick Reply: Help with Aerokit side skirt instalation